Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Last player that was a supposed thorn in IU’s side when they picked somewhere else?  Eric Hunter?   I’m sure they are out there but I could name more that didn’t amount to being a thorn.  Old one that sticks out to me.   Lee and Thompson that picked Ohio St over IU and turned out to be duds for the buckeyes 

That is something that I was thinking about. I've seen a lot of "player X is the kind of guy we don't recruit and then he lights us up years down the road," but how often does that actually happen? Only a few that I can think of. We just remember the ones that do and then forget about the guys who end up being meh.

I wonder if it was kind of a "We've got a spot for you if you commit now" type of offer from Purdue?  I don't know a ton about the inner workings of recruitments or how often that actually happens, but I would have thought the fact Smith finally got the elusive high-major offer would have been confirmation that he was in fact a high-major talent and that more offers of that magnitude would come.  Considering that plus the lack of scouting in the last year and his potential for more exposure this summer, I really thought he would let it play out more.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Dunk is only worth 2 points just like a layup or a pull up jumper so what is the big.deal about a dunk.

Dunks are good about 95% of the time.  Pull up jumpers about 40% of the time.  The game has evolved to getting the easiest two point shots and hitting the three.

39 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That is something that I was thinking about. I've seen a lot of "player X is the kind of guy we don't recruit and then he lights us up years down the road," but how often does that actually happen? Only a few that I can think of. We just remember the ones that do and then forget about the guys who end up being meh.

I remember a bunch of similar sentiment when we lost Ethan Morton to Turdue (altho we recruited him)

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Last player that was a supposed thorn in IU’s side when they picked somewhere else?  Eric Hunter?   I’m sure they are out there but I could name more that didn’t amount to being a thorn.  Old one that sticks out to me.   Lee and Thompson that picked Ohio St over IU and turned out to be duds for the buckeyes 

I like Hunter and he’s been better than many guards IU took instead. Have a hunch the prior IU staff would’ve ruined him just like every other perimeter player though. 

I like what Indiana is doing and who we are offering. I do.

That said, it’s hard not to like this Purdue roster and it’s recent recruiting. It sucks because my rooting interest is:

1. Indiana winning
2. Kentucky losing
3. Purdue losing
4. Duke/UNC/Kansas/LSU/Louisville losing.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Dunks are good about 95% of the time.  Pull up jumpers about 40% of the time.  The game has evolved to getting the easiest two point shots and hitting the three.

Exactly. A dunk is the most difficult shot to get in position to get. A 2 pt jumper attempt is relatively easy. Of course the expected payoff is vastly different. Anyone who thinks a dunk is only about the fun little slam at the end—and didn’t also enjoy whatever action happened to create that opportunity—is really missing so much of the game. 

And yes the crowd and momentum and demoralizing of your opponents and hearing the lamentation of their women matters too. 

Scott, thank you for informing the board that 2 = 2. Big brain stuff there. A dunk attempt does not equal a jumper attempt. And anyone still wanting us to take more midrange jumpers has missed a ton of the evolution of basketball over the last 15 years. 

And ermahgerd I hope you all watched the Adragna vid on the 41 motion offense. You know Trayce is excited to chill in the “dunker’s spot.” Instead of whatever it was Archie was up to. 

Good luck to young Braden. Painter gambled, and it was Braden that called. Maybe hedging his bets that he underperforms this summer? Taking what he’s got available in case things don’t pan out?  Or maybe Painter trusts what he sees and wants the kid. Braden can ball, and while he didn’t have the offers yet, he was getting interest. 

Not this is anything to get excited about but was told that Smith had 43, 11, and 12 against North Central in front of Woodson, & Fife. Might be asking how firm he is with Purdue right now. Also, know that IU told CJ Gunn that he has a lot of work to do from now till getting on campus. No surprise there.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not this is anything to get excited about but was told that Smith had 43, 11, and 12 against North Central in front of Woodson, & Fife. Might be asking how firm he is with Purdue right now. Also, know that IU told CJ Gunn that he has a lot of work to do from now till getting on campus. No surprise there.

Arte Johnson Very Interesting GIF - ArteJohnson VeryInteresting GIFs

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Was IU there to watch him or were they there for someone else?

Have you heard if IU has had any contact recently?

8 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I have not heard of anything. Probably there to watch Walker. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

IU was likely checking out Leland Walker and Joey Brown. This isn’t football or baseball recruiting. It’s basketball so Smith is committed to Purdue unless he decommits. IU wouldn’t be actively talking to him. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

After watching Gunn on Friday he does have work to do. That said the athleticism and potential is there. Some of his LN teammates also need to realize who the best player on there team is too because they took some very questionable shots at times against HSE.