Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

5 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I’m really stealing this from Demo, but Braden is exactly the kind of kid you want to see play in the big AAU circuits. That’s what Archie had communicated to him, and I’m fairly certain that’s what Woodson has communicated as well. The dude can ball! No doubt. But let’s see him play against the other D-1 kids. 

AAU is not a dunk contest. It is a valuable chance to see these kids go up against one another. The best kids are very easy to spot, they are simply better. They control the action on the floor. If Braden is 4* level, then he needs to show he can do it in that environment. Frankly guards have it way easier in AAU because they get the ball so often. 

And what’s wrong with a dunk? They’re awesome. Getting one is a big deal, as the other team is trying very hard to prevent it. It generally means you exposed or created a weakness to get right to the basket. That matters. TJD would love to dunk every possession. Turns out getting there is pretty difficult. Then everyone gets rewarded with an athletic emphatic slam. In the words of LeBron, 2 points is not 2 points. If there’s some dude able to consistently get dunks over the best of the best? Yeah I want him. 

Anyway, Painter took a gamble and offered without the benefit of AAU tape. Maybe it pays off? I’m cheering for Braden either way, he’s a local kid and I like his play. 

Dunk is only worth 2 points just like a layup or a pull up jumper so what is the big.deal about a dunk.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Doesn't really sound like someone who is dying to be a Hoosier if he commits to Purdue days after they offer him, tbh.. 

Painter seems like an easy guy to like. He is building something pretty good at Purdue and could see how that would appeal to Smith. Style of play could be a factor also. I'm a Westfield alum myself. Of course we only had 66 kids in my graduating class.

Just now, cthomas said:

Painter seems like an easy guy to like. He is building something pretty good at Purdue and could see how that would appeal to Smith. Style of play could be a factor also. I'm a Westfield alum myself. Of course we only had 66 kids in my graduating class.

I don't blame him at all for picking Purdue and picking them fast (assuming that he does). They're a good academic school with a good basketball coach and program. It's just that "how much he wants to play for IU" has been something touted by his supporters. If that was true, you'd think he would wait a little bit to see if IU offers him before popping for Purdue. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Dunk is only worth 2 points just like a layup or a pull up jumper so what is the big.deal about a dunk.

Really?  REALLY?

It's the difference between the crowd reaction and energy derived from this:

Versus this:

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Really?  REALLY?

It's the difference between the crowd reaction and energy derived from this:

Versus this:

Yet both counted for the same amount of points

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yet both counted for the same amount of points

Two free throws are worth the same as a putback dunk on a team's rim protector. But you cannot measure the latter's worth by the scoreboard alone. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Two free throws are worth the same as a putback dunk on a team's rim protector. But you cannot measure the latter's worth by the scoreboard alone. 

This is such a subjective matter.  There are all sorts of things that may swing the "worth" or value of a dunk over 2 free throws.  Such as situational issues.  A dunk may be better during for momentum or to get the crowd pumped.  Free throws may be better because a defender stopped a play as time is winding down and cool -rational play is appropriate.

One also may have been looking at just the score and not the momentum issues.

Maybe the dunk was more risky than the two free throws.  The situation may dictate which would have had more of the ancillary 'benefit'.  

Personally, being 5' 8" tall and unlikely to dunk...definitely MY dunk would be more spectacular!   (and risky?)

1 minute ago, akinnaird24 said:

I was under the impression he was IU’s to lose if we offered. Surprised at this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IU hadn’t offered so he jumped at the Purdue offer.

2 minutes ago, akinnaird24 said:

I was under the impression he was IU’s to lose if we offered. Surprised at this one.

IF we offered is the key. We haven't offered him. Judging by the fact we're offering a bunch of similar players positionally who are higher ranked in recent days, there's no guarantee that offer was imminent or coming at all.

IF we offered is the key. We haven't offered him. Judging by the fact we're offering a bunch of similar players positionally who are higher ranked in recent days, there's no guarantee that offer was imminent or coming at all.

Very true. Just saw we were in daily contact, but I think we have higher priorities at PG, so I guess it isn’t that surprising after all.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm going to be the optimist and believe the days of a particular player being a chronic thorn in our side are over.  Until he proves me wrong, I'm convinced CMW is going to be a far superior coach than we've had for far too many years and his players and game plans aren't going to let that happen.  

Last player that was a supposed thorn in IU’s side when they picked somewhere else?  Eric Hunter?   I’m sure they are out there but I could name more that didn’t amount to being a thorn.  Old one that sticks out to me.   Lee and Thompson that picked Ohio St over IU and turned out to be duds for the buckeyes