Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

Not seeing a giant need for PG in this class but that all depends on who we bring back and how the guys we have play.  

Clearly, we are going after a PG, but what does that mean for Phinisee, Lander, and XJ?  3 likely capable PGs.  Where does the PT come from?  I guess, I realize we won't have all 3 of these guys back but who and why?

I want to replace TJD with a stud and then better fill the other forward spots.  Gunn is a 2 or 3.  Our roster weakness will be the 4 and 5 and maybe the 3.  

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not seeing a giant need for PG in this class but that all depends on who we bring back and how the guys we have play.  

Clearly, we are going after a PG, but what does that mean for Phinisee, Lander, and XJ?  3 likely capable PGs.  Where does the PT come from?  I guess, I realize we won't have all 3 of these guys back but who and why?

I want to replace TJD with a stud and then better fill the other forward spots.  Gunn is a 2 or 3.  Our roster weakness will be the 4 and 5 and maybe the 3.  

I'm guessing, just a guess but I think we replace TJD, Race, Rob and at least one more next year

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Could be playing the long game at PG here knowing it’ll take a couple years to develop him. I haven’t seen him play yet but from how he’s been described, all I keep coming back to is Bobby Hurley and if he’s anything like him, I’d love to have him. 

51 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Could be playing the long game at PG here knowing it’ll take a couple years to develop him. I haven’t seen him play yet but from how he’s been described, all I keep coming back to is Bobby Hurley and if he’s anything like him, I’d love to have him. 

Obviously the kid can play. The only question is does he fit with what CMW is trying to do. I have no doubt that Smith will be a high level player no matter where he ends up. If not IU, I don't want to face him against another conference team. I think he is the type of player that just kills us on opposing teams. I hope we find room for him, but those kinds of decisions are way above my pay grade.

9 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

Seems like we have about 20 offers out there for the 2022 class. lots of talent and potential. Give me Noah Clowney, Julian Phillips, CJ Gunn, and Braden Smith and I am one Happy Hoosier fan.

I don’t think there’s as many as people think. There’s some recruits that it hasn’t been confirmed whether or not the new staff is going to continue to recruit them. 

8 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I don’t think there’s as many as people think. There’s some recruits that it hasn’t been confirmed whether or not the new staff is going to continue to recruit them. 

Purely FWIW

In the class of '22 by my count there are 20 offers extended in total.  4 are CMW offers and 7 are Archie offers with public indication that the new staff is remaining in contact.  Doesn't necessarily mean the other 9 Archie offers haven't had IU contact only that nothing in the way of public information has surfaced that I've seen.  And lastly, of these 9, Kenya Hunter was/is the lead on 4 of them.

13 hours ago, jk34 said:

Bates,Clowney, Washington,Gunn, and a floor general!

A man can dream!!

Bates is '21 and we already got him (unless you're talking Emoni and if that's the case I don't see how we flip him from MSU AND convince him not to go pro)

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Bates is '21 and we already got him (unless you're talking Emoni and if that's the case I don't see how we flip him from MSU AND convince him not to go pro)

Sorry, meant Banks.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:12 PM, Chris007 said:

Once again how often do Rabjohns and Snow have to be wrong before we stop believing everything they say. I have no idea about Smith but I saw where Ranjohns said he was a midmajor prospect, then Gonzaga, Villanova, Purdue all check on him. It seems he makes the first impression and never changes it. A state champion high school coach told me he was better than Gunn, I take that word more than a scout or evaluator.  

Same can be said about any scout or talent evaluator.   Too many kids out there that are really good for anyone to be right all the time.   That high school coach that told you about Gunn has been wrong about a kid evaluation in the past and he is going to he wrong about one again.   Everyone has different views on how they evaluate talent.   Your guy might value something that another person doesn’t.  I’ve talked to 2 high school coaches and an assistant college coach that say Gunn has the most upside of any 2022 recruit in Indiana including Washington.  Doesn’t mean they are right or I agree with them but they say Gunn has the physical attributes that could make him one of the better 2 way guards in the B1G.  You watch enough basketball and anyone is going to miss out on evaluations.   I once told Wayne that IU should move on from a freshman  big from Park Tudor because he body language and motor sucked each time I watched him play.    I was convinced he was overrated.   He ended up finishing in the top 15 of the rankings and was a one and done lottery pick.   

30 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

So would the anti Smith people on here be anti Kyle Guy if he was a 2022 kid instead of a 2016 kid? You should look at their high school stats before you answer. 

Kyle Guy was a McDonald’s All-American, so no. Is Braden Smith going to be a McDonald’s all American? Because right now, Braden Smith has been offered by Purdue, and who else? Montana, Appalachian State, Toledo. Purdue is more than willing to bring in under the radar recruits and redshirt them, as shown by the Carmel kid they just signed. Let’s see what other P5 programs come calling with scholarship offers first.. 

58 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

So would the anti Smith people on here be anti Kyle Guy if he was a 2022 kid instead of a 2016 kid? You should look at their high school stats before you answer. 

Don’t compare stats, compare traits. Guy was a full 6’3”. Longer. Better movement skills, particularly laterally. Equally useful on or off the ball. Switchable 1-3 without creating matchup issues. Guy was a better and more versatile player. That’s not criticism of Smith. He’s a good player. He’s a high major kid, I’m sure of it. If Woody decides he wants him, and at this point we’re speculating on what Woodson’s system will look like, but I’m guessing there will be better fits, it’s absolutely fine by me.

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

Don’t compare stats, compare traits. Guy was a full 6’3”. Longer. Better movement skills, particularly laterally. Equally useful on or off the ball. Switchable 1-3 without creating matchup issues. Guy was a better and more versatile player. That’s not criticism of Smith. He’s a good player. He’s a high major kid, I’m sure of it. If Woody decides he wants him, and at this point we’re speculating on what Woodson’s system will look like, but I’m guessing there will be better fits, it’s absolutely fine by me.

“You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.”