Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ve said why I think Lander is better. Just as Lander’s videos “didn’t do anything for you,” Smith’s didn’t for me. I don’t see a player who I think IU should be prioritizing when I see his videos. Lander was the #1 point guard in his class before he reclassified. Smith isn’t even nationally ranked on 24/7. I don’t think the people who do this for a living are that wrong on both of these players, for the guy who isn’t ranked to be better than the guy who was ranked #1 pg in his class. You think that they are. That’s perfectly fine. You’ve clearly made up your mind on Smith, so we’ll see how it shakes out.

Don't watch any highlight videos. Watch the entire games. Lander has a LONG way to go. 

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

Top 50 players more often than not play to their ranking, which isn’t the case as much with guys outside the top 100. There will always be outliers. With Smith, Rabjohns has said he struggles to deal with length at times and the length he is facing isn’t near what he will face in the big ten. I want the guys like Trimble that can break down the D and not have to worry about length at that level. It’s just where I’m at. Bob knight’s way is not today’s way. Nova also built up most of there teams with guys in the top 30-80, so you’re kind of making my point here.

Once again how often do Rabjohns and Snow have to be wrong before we stop believing everything they say. I have no idea about Smith but I saw where Ranjohns said he was a midmajor prospect, then Gonzaga, Villanova, Purdue all check on him. It seems he makes the first impression and never changes it. A state champion high school coach told me he was better than Gunn, I take that word more than a scout or evaluator.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Don't watch any highlight videos. Watch the entire games. 

I’m not the one recruiting him, and I’m not someone who has to coach against him, so honestly it’s really not important enough to me to take the time to watch entire games. Highlight tapes, offer lists, rankings/reports, and physical measurements give me enough to work with. If all that doesn’t give me the full story that watching games would and I lose an internet argument, oh well.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m not the one recruiting him, and I’m not someone who has to coach against him, so honestly it’s really not important enough to me to take the time to watch entire games. Highlight tapes, offer lists, rankings/reports, and physical measurements give me enough to work with. If all that doesn’t give me the full story that watching games would and I lose an internet argument, oh well.

I don't want to be right lol I want to win. AAU is different than school ball man. And school ball is much more like D1 than AAU is. (in most cases, not all). Highlights give you essentially nothing, Hanner Perea. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Once again how often do Rabjohns and Snow have to be wrong before we stop believing everything they say. I have no idea about Smith but I saw where Ranjohns said he was a midmajor prospect, then Gonzaga, Villanova, Purdue all check on him. It seems he makes the first impression and never changes it. A state champion high school coach told me he was better than Gunn, I take that word more than a scout or evaluator.  

More than fair post. I have had 2 or 3 HC or AC tell me how good he is, as well. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I dont believe theres regularly much of a difference between the 85th ranked player and the 185th ranked player. I just watched a game where Trimble didn't score the first 26mins of the game, school ball game. 

What IN HS PG is better than Braden Smith in the 2022 class? 

And what limitations does Smith have? he shoots 45% from 3 with a nearing 40in vert and can stop and go and finish very well, as well. 

Not going to litigate the Braden Smith point. I think Hoosierfan2017 has summed up my viewpoints well so I’ll save us both some time.

And IMO, Leland Walker is the best in-state PG in 2022. 

Edited by IUBBx5Banners

Just now, IUBBx5Banners said:

Not going to litigate the Braden Smith point. I think Hoosiers2017 has summed up my viewpoints well so I’ll save us both some time.

And IMO, Leland Walker is the best in-state PG in 2022. 

He can play too. I disagree, but he can play. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

he isn't he hound dog Craft was defensively. 

One game I saw this year Smith had 5 steals in the first half and thought he disrupted the other teams offense

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

One game I saw this year Smith had 5 steals in the first half and thought he disrupted the other teams offense

He has quick hands for sure. Craft was all big ten defense multiple times wasn't he? I don't think Braden would be that. 

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This isn’t an exact science business. I have never once mentioned they are right 100% of the time because that is impossible. I respect their opinions because this is their job. They have been doing it for years and years and are good at it if you pay attention. They will miss yes. I mean, I know everyone loves to hate Snow but he just got a job at Penn State as recruiting coordinator for them. Who is the head coach at PSU? Shrewsberry who was previously on Purdue’s staff that everyone envies so much. He thought enough of snow to give him that position. That doesn’t happen if he isn’t good at his job. There’s an amazing poster on Peegs  named iuphilly who has done tons of research on rankings and his research constantly shows you need guys in the sweet spots of 30-80 with others sprinkled in as well to become a championship contender. As far as the gonzaga and Villanova stuff, that kind of “contact” happens all the time. You check in on a player but never offer. Think we’ll ever offer Leland walker or Tayshawn Comer? No. They’re down the list backup plans but have been mentioned with IU. Like I said, I have nothing against Braden Smith. He’s a good player and sounds like a good kid. But we need top talent and from listening to people who do this as their job, he isn’t the guy we need to get to the promised land. 

2 minutes ago, VO5 said:

This isn’t an exact science business. I have never once mentioned they are right 100% of the time because that is impossible. I respect their opinions because this is their job. They have been doing it for years and years and are good at it if you pay attention. They will miss yes. I mean, I know everyone loves to hate Snow but he just got a job at Penn State as recruiting coordinator for them. Who is the head coach at PSU? Shrewsberry who was previously on Purdue’s staff that everyone envies so much. He thought enough of snow to give him that position. That doesn’t happen if he isn’t good at his job. There’s an amazing poster on Peegs  named iuphilly who has done tons of research on rankings and his research constantly shows you need guys in the sweet spots of 30-80 with others sprinkled in as well to become a championship contender. As far as the gonzaga and Villanova stuff, that kind of “contact” happens all the time. You check in on a player but never offer. Think we’ll ever offer Leland walker or Tayshawn Comer? No. They’re down the list backup plans but have been mentioned with IU. Like I said, I have nothing against Braden Smith. He’s a good player and sounds like a good kid. But we need top talent and from listening to people who do this as their job, he isn’t the guy we need to get to the promised land. 

007 and I have both mentioned we have had multiple coaches tell us how good he is. And your last statement.. I don't think I could disagree with a statement anymore than I disagree with that one. To each their own. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't want to be right lol I want to win. AAU is different than school ball man. And school ball is much more like D1 than AAU is. (in most cases, not all). Highlights give you essentially nothing, Hanner Perea. 

Not saying that you want to be right or that you want to win an internet argument, just that if my opinion ends up looking silly because I relied on what I mentioned, it's not a big deal because I've got nothing at stake. If Coach Woodson and his staff think he's good enough to prioritize then that's all that matters. 

Just now, btownqb said:

007 and I have both mentioned we have had multiple coaches tell us how good he is. And your last statement.. I don't think I could disagree with a statement anymore than I disagree with that one. To each their own. 

That’s fine. It’s my opinion and I stick by that

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not saying that you want to be right or that you want to win an internet argument, just that if my opinion ends up looking silly because I relied on what I mentioned, it's not a big deal because I've got nothing at stake. If Coach Woodson and his staff think he's good enough to prioritize then that's all that matters. 

100% 

13 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I guess if Rabby is talking about his sources or something like that, I'll listen but if he is evaluating talent I will go with coaches I respect over his opinion on things. Would I be happy with someone ranked in the top 80 as a pg for the next 4 years yes I would. But if you take Smith a 4-year player and surround him with talent that I think we will have, I think he will be fine. At least we're having discussions about decent recruits that we should be able to land.