Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

23 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Top 50 players more often than not play to their ranking, which isn’t the case as much with guys outside the top 100. There will always be outliers. With Smith, Rabjohns has said he struggles to deal with length at times and the length he is facing isn’t near what he will face in the big ten. I want the guys like Trimble that can break down the D and not have to worry about length at that level. It’s just where I’m at. Bob knight’s way is not today’s way. Nova also built up most of there teams with guys in the top 30-80, so you’re kind of making my point here.

There literally isn't a guard anywhere that doesn't struggle with length, at times. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Smith isn’t going to come in as a freshman and be able to start, plus we will have a facilitator in Khristian Lander. He was a top 30 recruit even after he reclassified. Things went about as bad for him as they possibly could’ve. He reclassified, missed out on a bunch of summer and preseason training opportunities because of Covid restrictions, and then spent the year playing for an offensively incompetent head coach. But even then, he showed flashes of the kind of player he can be. Woodson’s offensive scheme is exactly the type of offense a guard like Lander flourishes in. A full offseason with a coach who can actually coach guards will do wonders for him. Additionally, Xavier Johnson has two years of eligibility left. He was 17th in the country in assists per game at 5.7. We won’t be lacking facilitators in 2022. 

Smith is a better basketball player than Khristian Lander, comparatively. I don't think a FR Smith would be better than a JR KL, it would be much closer than you think though. Don't care where KL was ranked, honestly it's irrelevant. And I was talking 3 and 4 years from now. Like when Smith is a SO and JR. XJ will be gone by then, heck might be gone after this year. 

We saw very, very few "flashes" from KL. KL shouldn't have been ranked top 30 in his own grade, let alone after he reclassified, that was absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever seen by recruiting services. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Wow. Well, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion. 

I don't think Lander is very good. His stats, not his ranking, show that, as well. Hope he improves dramatically though. 

What does KL do better than BS on a basketball court? 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think Lander is very good. His stats, not his ranking, show that, as well. Hope he improves dramatically though. 

Lander would’ve looked great last year if he had been playing against high school players like he should have been. He’s a kid who probably shouldn’t have reclassified, but it didn’t hurt him since it ended up being a free season. 

Yes, this is just a highlight video. But Lander can play. He’s quick off the dribble. He’s explosive. He has big hands for a 6’2 guard. He has good length. Archie Miller can’t coach guards. He didn’t have his guards playing in transition. He didn’t have his guards attacking the basket for the most part. He couldn’t even use Romeo Langford properly. The player in these highlights is a completely different player than what we saw last year. I don’t think the player in these videos was just a mirage, and I don’t think we can judge him off a weird Covid year where he came a year early, didn’t get the usual offseason training, and played for a bad offensive coach.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lander would’ve looked great last year if he had been playing against high school players like he should have been. He’s a kid who probably shouldn’t have reclassified, but it didn’t hurt him since it ended up being a free season. 

Yes, this is just a highlight video. But Lander can play. He’s quick off the dribble. He’s explosive. He has big hands for a 6’2 guard. He has good length. Archie Miller can’t coach guards. He didn’t have his guards playing in transition. He didn’t have his guards attacking the basket for the most part. He couldn’t even use Romeo Langford properly. The player in these highlights is a completely different player than what we saw last year. I don’t think the player in these videos was just a mirage, and I don’t think we can judge him off a weird Covid year where he came a year early, didn’t get the usual offseason training, and played for a bad offensive coach.

I have already seen that highlight video and it didn't anything for me the first time I watched it. I've watched him in person growing up and have seen 5 or 6 games in person in HS games and another 20 games on film. I'm asking you.. what he does better? I don't think he has better vision, and he doesn't shoot half as well. Life is easy in an AAU highlight video when there are 4 other D1 recruits on the floor with you. 

There is much more to it than just Archie Miller being bad. He isn't getting to the rim in college, as of now, because he is friggin twig. I don't see this explosion you're talking about. Heck I thought Trimble was explosive, he's twice the athlete KL is imo and much more developed in the weight room. 

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

You know exactly what I mean. Come on man 

I mean, I guess... but that is just the most generic, lazy comment ever by Rabjohns. Another person I don't needs opinion the play of recruits or players lol what are his credentials to judge this stuff? I get that he gets paid to... but that doesn't mean he is qualified. 

I mean, I guess... but that is just the most generic, lazy comment ever by Rabjohns. Another person I don't needs opinion the play of recruits or players lol what are his credentials to judge this stuff? I get that he gets paid to... but that doesn't mean he is qualified. 

Whatever you want to think but that’s an extremely ignorant viewpoint. Go into anyone’s profession that’s done it for years and try telling them that. You think it’s generic because you don’t want to believe it because you like the player. Simple as that 

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Whatever you want to think but that’s an extremely ignorant viewpoint. Go into anyone’s profession that’s done it for years and try telling them that. You think it’s generic because you don’t want to believe it because you like the player. Simple as that 

Nah.. It's really not. I don't know of a single PG that doesn't struggle against length. I would tell him I don't think he knows what he is talking about in regards to play. He is a reporter, nothing more. That's all any of those dudes are. Did he play ball somewhere that I'm missing? I respect his intel on recruits/behind the scenes stuff, for sure. I don't see his viewpoint any different than yours in regards to how well a recruit can or cannot play. Simple as that. 

You guys think I have this viewpoint because "I like Braden Smith." No... literally not it at all. I want IU to win first and foremost. Idc if we need to start recruiting Antarctica, but Braden Smith is someone we do NOT need to lose. We will win A LOT with him. 

Nah.. It's really not. I don't know of a single PG that doesn't struggle against length. I would tell him I don't think he knows what he is talking about in regards to play. He is a reporter, nothing more. That's all any of those dudes are. Did he play ball somewhere that I'm missing? I respect his intel on recruits/behind the scenes stuff, for sure. I don't see his viewpoint any different than yours in regards to how well a recruit can or cannot play. Simple as that. 

All I see here is ignorance and a straight up refusal to recognize when you could be wrong. No one here is saying Braden Smith is a bad player. We just want better. There is evidence out there that people are laying in front of you and you’re just like...nah I’m right not of that matters. No point in debating any longer 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I dont believe theres regularly much of a difference between the 85th ranked player and the 185th ranked player. I just watched a game where Trimble didn't score the first 26mins of the game, school ball game. 

What IN HS PG is better than Braden Smith in the 2022 class? 

And what limitations does Smith have? he shoots 45% from 3 with a nearing 40in vert and can stop and go and finish very well, as well. 

You must be Braden Smith's dad. There is no way that Braden has a 40 inch vertical.

Braden Smith had better junior year stats than Lander and played a tougher schedule. He's a better shooter than Lander was as well. Should IU offer Smith right now? No but I might if I was Woodson after watching him in person in June. 

Just now, VO5 said:

All I see here is ignorance and a straight up refusal to recognize when you could be wrong. No one here is saying Braden Smith is a bad player. We just want better. There is evidence out there that people are laying in front of you and you’re just like...nah I’m right not of that matters. No point in debating any longer 

What is the evidence? he posted a highlight video from AAU when Lander played on a STACKED team, one that I had already seen. Leal and Galloway looked like McAAs in the videos they posted when they played for that team. Then you come on here telling me I have to take some reporters word that "he struggles against length"... which I'm sure there are times that he does, like every PG in the world... and that is suppose to be some ground breaking information. If that's your "evidence" idk what to tell you. Sorry I don't see it like that. 

You want better... but you just look at rankings to decide who is better. Sheesh. I'm literally asking what KL does better on a basketball court than Braden Smith, it's not meant to be so personal, don't make it like that. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

Braden Smith had better junior year stats than Lander and played a tougher schedule. He's a better shooter than Lander was as well. Should IU offer Smith right now? No but I might if I was Woodson after watching him in person in June. 

Much tougher schedule. Either way... I don't think Lander is going to play many meaningful mins for us whether we have Smith or not. I would love Smith and Trimble to in 2022 though. Trimble probably squats a house lol 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have already seen that highlight video and it didn't anything for me the first time I watched it. I've watched him in person growing up and have seen 5 or 6 games in person in HS games and another 20 games on film. I'm asking you.. what he does better? I don't think he has better vision, and he doesn't shoot half as well. Life is easy in an AAU highlight video when there are 4 other D1 recruits on the floor with you. 

There is much more to it than just Archie Miller being bad. He isn't getting to the rim in college, as of now, because he is friggin twig. I don't see this explosion you're talking about. Heck I thought Trimble was explosive, he's twice the athlete KL is imo and much more developed in the weight room. 

I’ve said why I think Lander is better. Just as Lander’s videos “didn’t do anything for you,” Smith’s didn’t for me. I don’t see a player who I think IU should be prioritizing when I see his videos. Lander was the #1 point guard in his class before he reclassified. Smith isn’t even nationally ranked on 24/7. I don’t think the people who do this for a living are that wrong on both of these players, for the guy who isn’t ranked to be better than the guy who was ranked #1 pg in his class. You think that they are. That’s perfectly fine. You’ve clearly made up your mind on Smith, so we’ll see how it shakes out.