Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2022) PG Braden Smith to Purdue

I think this is one of the instances where we have to trust the assessment of the coaching staff a little more than usual.

We will have room for him--Leal and Galloway are two years apart from him. If (worst case scenario) Leal and Galloway both remain back of the bench players that stay, so be it. With 13 scholly players we will always need one or two players that can enhance culture without resenting lack of playing time. Braden Smith may also be in that boat given his apparent love for IU. 

Another factor--rankings and scouting for 2022 players has been severely limited so far. Braden Smith may take a significant jump in the next rankings. Given the type of programs that are now recruiting him that seems reasonably likely, and with a local kid it is far, far easier to identify the diamonds in the rough.

We will have room for at least four or five 2022 players. Our fourth year players this year (yes, I know they could stay for a fifth, but assume that not many will) are: Race, Rob, Parker, Xavier, and add TJD as a likely goner.

That's about five spots to fill with only CJ Gunn committed so far. With five spots to fill that allows for two more bigs, and another ball-handling guard like Trimble to go with the 6'6" CJ, and absolutely allows for Smith (if he's worthy).

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nope. But people who have, have him as a top 80 recruit. He has B1G size and athleticism. He’s an explosive leaper. And he also has a much better offer list than Braden Smith 

I'm sorry when we talk about people who rank these guys I come back to Brian Snow. I just can't take his word or people in that business word for how a player ranks out. There are no consequences if they are way off or wrong. Just my opinion

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I have not seen Smith play but from what I'm told his game is Jordy Hulls with better passing but not as good of outside shot yet. Would you consider that correct?

I haven't seen him play yet either, but he's apparently a better athlete than Hulls and more of a point guard, with a  lesser outside shot (as almost anyone would be).

In other words, other than size (almost identical) his game isn't necessarily that comparable to Hulls.

I have not seen Smith play but from what I'm told his game is Jordy Hulls with better passing but not as good of outside shot yet. Would you consider that correct?

He shot 45% from 3 this past year. I don't think his game resembles Jordy's at all. I guarded Jordy 8 or so times. He was a Reggie Miller, Klay Thompson in the fact he didn't really have the ball in his hands much. Dee Davis was the PG (obviously you know that).. then in AAU Colt Ryan was the point. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I'm sorry when we talk about people who rank these guys I come back to Brian Snow. I just can't take his word or people in that business word for how a player ranks out. There are no consequences if they are way off or wrong. Just my opinion

Rankings are good predictors, but of course can be off. 

With a local player we have a much better chance of assessing the true comparative ranking.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

I haven't seen him play yet either, but he's apparently a better athlete than Hulls and more of a point guard, with a  lesser outside shot (as almost anyone would be).

In other words, other than size (almost identical) his game isn't necessarily that comparable to Hulls.

He's a fair amount bigger than Jordy, as of now... and has a 36in Vert. Jordy was 5'11 tops. Braden is 6'1 right now. 

Just now, btownqb said:

He shot 45% from 3 this past year. I don't think his game resembles Jordy's at all. I guarded Jordy 8 or so times. He was a Reggie Miller, Klay Thompson in the fact he didn't really have the ball in his hands much. Dee Davis was the PG (obviously you know that).. then in AAU Colt Ryan was the point. 

A poor mans Steve Nash?

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nope. But people who have, have him as a top 80 recruit. He has B1G size and athleticism. He’s an explosive leaper. And he also has a much better offer list than Braden Smith 

So.. .that's it? That is what you are basing your opinion on? 

Truthfully.. I think we can take them both. I've watched full length games of both, I think Trimble can play off the ball just fine, and slide over to PG, at times, as well. 

Braden Smith would make life A LOT easier on Trimble. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

He's a fair amount bigger than Jordy, as of now... and has a 36in Vert. Jordy was 5'11 tops. Braden is 6'1 right now. 

Yeah, I think there's video of BSmith slamming a ball. Finding a video of a Jordan Hulls or Steve Nash throwdown might be difficult. 

A poor mans Steve Nash?

Haha.. maybe not quite the vision, but I think if you watched Braden you would see more of a Bryant McIntosh than a Jordy Hulls. jmo

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Yeah, I think there's video of BSmith slamming a ball. Finding a video of a Jordan Hulls or Steve Nash throwdown might be difficult. 

Haha doubt we'd find that. When I guarded Jordy when we were FR I was like... this dude, why is this dude on the floor with Bobby Capobianco, Stephen Van Treese, Colt Ryan, and DJ Byrd.... I QUICKLY found out. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

"in addition to IU, Smith has heard from multiple high majors including national runner-up Gonzaga along with Villanova and Oregon."

^^I'm think this is a pretty good predictor of where his ranking is heading!^^

He's like all of those teams type guys. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.. .that's it? That is what you are basing your opinion on? 

Truthfully.. I think we can take them both. I've watched full length games of both, I think Trimble can play off the ball just fine, and slide over to PG, at times, as well. 

Braden Smith would make life A LOT easier on Trimble. 

Trimble isn’t even the guy that I have my heart set on. I want guards who are better than him. But of the ones we seem to be interested in, I’d take Trimble over Smith. We already have CJ Gunn committed. We don’t need multiple point guards in this class when our front court is a bigger concern. TJD will be gone and that leaves Duncomb as our only center. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Trimble isn’t even the guy that I have my heart set on. I want guards who are better than him. But of the ones we seem to be interested in, I’d take Trimble over Smith. We don’t need multiple point guards in this class when our front court is a bigger concern. TJD will be gone and that leaves Duncomb as our only center. 

We will be taking multiple 2022 6'8"+ players. That's non-negotiable.

It is likely that we will also have room for multiple guards.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Trimble isn’t even the guy that I have my heart set on. I want guards who are better than him. But of the ones we seem to be interested in, I’d take Trimble over Smith. We already have CJ Gunn committed. We don’t need multiple point guards in this class when our front court is a bigger concern. TJD will be gone and that leaves Duncomb as our only center. 

How do you know they are better than Smith if your aren't watching the film? That's what I don't get. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

We will be taking multiple 2022 6'8"+ players. That's non-negotiable.

It is likely that we will also have room for multiple guards.

I went back and added this to my previous post right  before you responded, but we already have CJ Gunn committed for next year. Unless we have massive roster upheaval I can’t see us taking three guards when we need multiple big guys. Should we use one of the guard spots on Smith? Eh, I don’t think so, but I can see why others disagree. 

Wracking my brain for a good comparable projection for Smith. The best I could think of is CJ Walker on Ohio State. Same size--point guard, excellent passer and floor leader that can shoot but doesn't create a ton of space.