Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Adam Zagoria -

It seemed ambitious to try to hold AAU basketball events this month in Las Vegas, but Gary Charles and other event organizers were proceeding with plans to do so.  Charles was set to host the Las Vegas Big Time event July 23-26 featuring Chet Holmgren, the No. 1 player in the Class of 2021, and his Grassroots Sizzle team, among others.  But now the event has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as have all events in Las Vegas this month.

“The Governor recommended it,” Charles said Saturday. “At the time [we organized the event] no one could have predicted Vegas would get this bad.”  He added: “The safety of the kids and parents is paramount. So if the Governor of Vegas feels this is necessary to close down our event we must adhere to it, regardless of what is going on in other parts of the country. We were offered facilities in other parts of the country to run our events, but if the American people don’t start taking this more seriously, wearing masks, etc., the country may have to shut down again.”

Holmgren’s father, David, previously told me for a New York Times story that he thought the events would be canceled before they were set to take place.  “I would consider not sending him, absolutely,” David Holmgren said in a phone interview. “When he asks, I say there’s no point in talking about it now until it gets to be the time because I think it’s all going to be shut down anyhow.” 

The curve in Nevada is on the rise and the state has nearly 21,000 cases with 530 deaths. The Peach Jam, which was slated to run July 8-12 in North Augusta, S.C., was already cancelled, but other events are going on in various states. The NCAA declared July and August a dead period so coaches will have to watch games on live streams.  “There are tournaments being played right now in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Florida, Indianapolis, etc,” Charles said. “They have been playing for the past three weeks in those states. Amazing.”

Adam Zagoria -

As for potential NCAA live periods in September, source says the vote will likely be July 15 and ‘it does not look good.’ July and August were already canceled. Some HS and prep teams are already talking about live streams and bubbles in the fall. Will be interesting.

Connecticut is hosting an AAU event this weekend WITH FANS in the Enfield, Bristol, And Hampford areas.   Per a coach: ‘Only 2 people per player So if you have 8 players only a total of 16 people besides players/Coach can enter.’  Florida & Georgia also had fans, Vegas canceled

Within the link below you can watch a game from last weekend between Team Teague 2022 vs. Indy Heat 2022.   Team Teague includes Leland Walker, Pete Suder and Reggie Bass.  Indy Heat features Tayshawn Comer, Fletcher Loyer, D'Ante Davis and C. J. Gunn.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-full-game-rewind-team-teague-2022-vs-indy-heat-2022/?fbclid=IwAR0lFykxyE2YNOsVyLABmPbQX7atAZOmGFhFaFTrnDIhccw1dX1Ktw_90cc

37 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

REMINDER:  Noon Saturday.  Indy Heat vs Indiana Elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ALy-sOXyWJo&app=desktop

Must watch?  I think so.......

Thanks for posting link, OF, you are irreplaceable and a national treasure!

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

Class of 2021
Indiana Elite: Logan Duncomb, Kaufman, JR Konieczny, Jayden Taylor (Butler), Connor Hickman (Bradley)

Indy Heat: Blake Wesley, Caleb Furst, Luke Goode, Meechie Johnson (Ohio State), Pierce Thomas (Butler)

Class of 2022
Indiana Elite: Will Lovings-Watts Evan Mahaffey

Indy Heat: CJ Gunn, Fletcher Loyer, Tae Davis, Tayshawn Comer, Tayven Jackson

Class of 2023
Indiana Elite: Dravon Gibbs-Lawhorn

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

When someone reaches that age I believe it’s in the constitution they become a national treasure.

Glad he’s our national treasure though!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Aw shucks!

Indiana Elite 2022 pulled out a a hard fought victory over Indy Heat Red 2022 winning 78-70.   Will Lovings-Watts with 22 and Evan Mahaffey with 14 both for Indiana Elite.

Comments from Alec Lasley:  Lovings-Watts showed off an improved jumper multiple times and Mahaffey was terrific on the glass and with his passing.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added Lasley Comments

A fella can dream can't he?  Watching the Indy Elite vs Indy Heat game with Duncomb and Kaufman on the court at the same time.  Duncomb grabs a rebound and fires the long pass to a streaking Kaufman for an easy slam dunk.  Next sequence Kaufman from half court to Duncomb for a layup.