Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB GAME WATCH PARTY

If you want to understand IU b-ball, there are some games that need to be watched.

I’m gonna post a really good one now and then, from all eras.

To start? The single most dominant one game performance I’ve ever seen by an IU team. The 1981 Hoosiers, their way to a national championship, met the top 20 Maryland Terrapins in round two of the NCAA Tourney. The Terps has first team All-American Albert King, and future perennial NBA star Buck Williams. They jumped out to a 8-0 lead, and then Isiah, Ray, and Randy got extraordinary. An incredibly dominant performance. Enjoy:

On 6/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Stuhoo said:

If you want to understand IU b-ball, there are some games that need to be watched.

To start? The single most dominant one game performance I’ve ever seen by an IU team. The 1981 Hoosiers, their way to a national championship, met the top 20 Maryland Terrapins in round two of the NCAA Tourney. The Terps has first team All-American Albert King, and future perennial NBA star Buck Williams. They jumped out to a 8-0 lead, and then Isiah, Ray, and Randy got extraordinary. An incredibly dominant performance. Enjoy:

Watched this game, the Louisiana State game and the North Carolina game earlier during the quarantine. 

That was a good team that really jelled at the right time and became a great team. I think they ended the season on a 10-game winning streak -- seems to have coincided with Landon Turner really picking up his play. The run through the NCAA was really something to see -- nobody could touch us (and it helped that the regional was in Bloomington). 

DePaul spent much of the season ranked No. 1 and was in our region. That was the year Saint Joseph's upset them, then we crushed Saint Joe's. I really wanted to play DePaul, because I think we'd have won by 15 points. 

I enjoy watching these pre-3-point shot games. Such a premium on getting really good looks at the bucket and working the offense. These days, it seems as if it's get the ball past halfcourt and launch from 25-30 feet. 

The 81 season was special. I was not yet a teen, but it's the year I really started IU BB and cheering along with my father. 87 though is still my favorite all time season. I remember the early win over KY, then the let down a few days later to Vandy. Then ran off 10ish wins including a very close one over Michigan, who had Rice and Grant, and a great O. Then got smacked down to earth by top ranked Iowa. We take revenge towards the end of the season over Iowa, but then lost 2 late season games including one to PU. 

That tourney run, especially the last 4 games vs Duke, LSU, UNLV, and Syracuse we're epic. Only 12pts of separation in those 4 games, and 2 one point wins. A few of those games certainly deserve to be on this list.

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

This game is when I started to believe we were the best team in the country.

They put on a clinic against a very talented Maryland squad.

Okay guys...IT’S TIME FOR INSTALLMENT #2:

This is an IU vs Kentucky matchup at Assembly Hall ... no, not THAT one!

Under the category of how far we’ve come, this is the 2009 game: “the Maurice Creek game.”

UK had three lotto picks in their starting five and another on the bench. Pritchard guarded DeMarcus Cousins, Jeremiah Rivers guarded John Wall and VJ3 guarded Eric Bledsoe. Our bigs off the bench? Elston, Capo, Tijan and Bawa Muniru. Steven Gambles and Danny Moore got some run.

For the first half, Mo Creek was the best player on the floor for either team.

Been a little while since I linked an IUBB watch party game. 

Today, we’re going ALL the way back; 80 years back, to the first IU National Championship squad. Branch McCracken’s 1940 Hoosiers, led by Marv Huffman, are in the dark uniforms for their victory over Kansas in Kansas City. Huffman, a 6’2” forward, led a balanced Hoosier scoring attack to a 60-42 win over Phog Allen’s Jayhawks. 

Watching this game is a constant stream of “wow, the game has changed” moments. Enjoy:

And now for something a little off-topic and completely different:

In what may likely have been the single most extraordinary night in Bloomington, Indiana rock/pop music history, on September 17, 1987 the Bluebird booked “The Ragin’ Texans.” About 100 people showed up.

What that (initially) small crowd got instead, was a show by —in his prime—John Mellencamp. Sucking on a Marlboro, with Aronoff on drums, Germano on fiddle, Wanchic, Crane and Meyers on guitar/bass; inspired. It got so loud that you can see Mellencamp having to cover his ears between songs.

But there’s way more. This was right before Farm Aid, and at the 16:00 mark John is joined onstage by one of the absolute few truly influential American musical legends. The King of the Lower East Side, LOU REED comes up for the rest of the set; “New Sensation”, the Velvet Underground milestone “Sweet Jane,” “Walk on the Wild Side”, and “I Love You Suzanne” is among what follows, with Mellencamp as a blissed out backup singer. 

Enjoy:

49 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In what may likely have been the single most extraordinary night in Bloomington, Indiana rock/pop music history, on September 17, 1987 the Bluebird booked “The Ragin’ Texans.” About 100 people showed up.

What that (initially) small crowd got instead, was a show by —in his prime—John Mellencamp. Sucking on a Marlboro, with Aronoff on drums, Germano on fiddle, Wanchic, Crane and Meyers on guitar/bass; inspired. It got so loud that you can see Mellencamp having to cover his ears between songs.

But there’s way more. This was right before Farm Aid, and at the 16:00 mark John is joined onstage by one of the absolute few truly legendary, influential American musical legends. The King of the Lower East Side, LOU REED comes up for the rest of the set; “New Sensation”, the Velvet Underground milestone “Sweet Jane,” “Walk on the Wild Side”, and “I Love You Suzanne” is among what follows, with Mellencamp as a blissed out backup singer. 

Enjoy:

I saw that video just the other day, and remember when that happened. I was at school during that time, but wasn't quite old enough to hit the bars yet (and probably was one of the few under-21 people on campus who didn't have a fake ID). Part of the problem for me was that even though I'm a follicly challenged, wrinkly old coot now, back then I was 19 -- and looked like I was 12, so presenting a fake ID might have been a tough sell anyway. ... Later on, when I did come of age, I did hit the Bluebird a few times -- however, John and Lou never showed up! 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

But there’s way more. This was right before Farm Aid, and at the 16:00 mark John is joined onstage by one of the absolute few truly legendary, influential American musical legends. The King of the Lower East Side, LOU REED comes up for the rest of the set; “New Sensation”, the Velvet Underground milestone “Sweet Jane,” “Walk on the Wild Side”, and “I Love You Suzanne” is among what follows, with Mellencamp as a blissed out backup singer. 

Enjoy:

Can’t really like this enough. Had 2 overpowering rock crushes at that point in my life: Lisa Germano and Maria McKee.

27 minutes ago, Demo said:

Can’t really like this enough. Had 2 overpowering rock crushes at that point in my life: Lisa Germano and Maria McKee.

Maria McKee is still the finest of the finest.

So uniquely talented, so very fine.

The attached video appears to be the single greatest night of Larry Crane’s life—even with the multiple awkward attempts to high-five Lou. Andy Warhol and Candy Darling got nothing on ol’ Larry.

But there’s way more. This was right before Farm Aid, and at the 16:00 mark John is joined onstage by one of the absolute few truly influential American musical legends. The King of the Lower East Side, LOU REED comes up for the rest of the set; “New Sensation”, the Velvet Underground milestone “Sweet Jane,” “Walk on the Wild Side”, and “I Love You Suzanne” is among what follows, with Mellencamp as a blissed out backup singer. 

Enjoy:

[/url]  

One of the bigger bummers of my time in B-town. I never studied.......except for that night while my buddies went to the bird.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app