Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Big Ten All Decade Team

BTN is releasing their all decade team throughout this week. Yesterday the 3rd Team was announced:

Yogi

Craft

JaJuan Johnson

Jordan Murphy

DeAngelo Russell

Caleb Swanigan 

Today they are releasing the 2nd team and so far:

Carsen Edwards has been announced.

My picks for Remaining

Cody Zeller

Denzel Valentine

Sam Dekker

Mo Wagner 

My Picks for 1st Team:

Frank Kaminsky

Jared Sullinger

Victor Oladipo

Trey Burke

Cassius Winston

1 minute ago, Sam_Boger said:

Vic and Sullinger are both on 2nd team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just saw that. Jared Sullinger was a 2x 1st team all-american. I will disagree.

Victor didn't take his team to a final 4 but what he did his junior year and since, is unmatched by any other BIG player. SNUB

Cassius Winston is also second team! That is not okay.

Is it me, or do you all see BTN broadcaster Robbie Hummel making his way onto the first team? 

I guess as of now I'm thinking the first team will be:

Kaminsky, Burke, Valentine, Hummel, an geez, I dunno... Cody? Garza? Stevens? 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Is it me, or do you all see BTN broadcaster Robbie Hummel making his way onto the first team? 

Yeah I think he will. I would have had him 3rd team. 

And Cassius not making first team..... What is going on? 

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I would hope Wagner makes it over any of those. He took his team to a NC

If Hummel makes the first team, it will be a crock  of sh-t.

His "original" senior season was 2010-11 -- the first year of the decade, I would think, and he tore his ACL in the preseason and didn't play. When he came back as a fifth-year senior in 2011-12, he was pretty good, but not great. He made honorable mention All-America. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vic was a first-team All-American for his junior year. 

Then again, we're talking about a network that named Ndamukong Suh as its best defensive lineman from 2000-10, and he didn't play a down in the Big Ten. And it named John Cappelletti as one of its best running backs of the 1970s -- again, he didn't play a down in the conference. 

41 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If this sound hot takish, oh well, but to me Cassius Winston might be the best pure PG to play in the Big Ten since Isiah. Love him. 2nd team is just deeply stupid.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

If this sound hot takish, oh well, but to me Cassius Winston might be the best pure PG to play in the Big Ten since Isiah. Love him. 2nd team is just deeply stupid.

Yeah 2nd team for the Big Ten's all time leader in assists with a final four and multiple Big ten championships is absurd. 

Maybe we can get a better understanding by looking at the alma maters of those on the voting panel. 

Belein & Bacon (UM), Hummel (PU), Brust, Katz, and Butch (Wisky), Settles (Iowa), Elmore (MD), Miles (NE), Revsine, Greenstein, Byington, & Morris (NW), Bardo & Roux (IL), Shelton (MSU), Wenzel (RUT)

Given who didn't make the first team, here's my best guess as to who will??

Trey Burke

Denzel Valentine 

Frank Kaminsky 

Draymond Green 

Luka Garza (if he makes it, it would be a total recency bias. But I don't know who's left. JuJuan Johnson, maybe -- he was a first-team AP All-American). 

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Trey Burke

Denzel Valentine 

Frank Kaminsky 

Draymond Green 

Luka Garza (if he makes it, it would be a total recency bias. But I don't know who's left. JuJuan Johnson, maybe -- he was a first-team AP All-American). 

Given the makeup of the voting panel, I expect that last first team slot to be a showdown between John Shurna, Bryant McIntosh, Meyers Leonard, Ayo Donsumu, Sam Dekker, and Bronson Koenig.

5 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Trey Burke

Denzel Valentine 

Frank Kaminsky 

Draymond Green 

JuJaun made 3rd team

37 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Evan Turner is the 4th member. He played half a season in this decade, not sure I agree with including him in this decade but just my opinion

I think he should be included in the previous decade. To me, the 2009-10 season should be the end to the decade, not the beginning. I think the decade should start with the 2010-11 season and end with the 2019-20 season. 

Last player is Denzel Valentine. 

So, this is your BTN all-decade first team: 

Denzel Valentine, MSU

Draymond Green, MSU

Evan Turner, OSU

Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin

Trey Burke, Michigan

I think I would've replaced Turner with Sullinger, Oladipo or Winston. Not because of anything wrong with Turner's quality of play; I just think he belongs in the previous decade. 

14 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Last player is Denzel Valentine. 

So, this is your BTN all-decade first team: 

Denzel Valentine, MSU

Draymond Green, MSU

Evan Turner, OSU

Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin

Trey Burke, Michigan

I think I would've replaced Turner with Sullinger, Oladipo or Winston. Not because of anything wrong with Turner's quality of play; I just think he belongs in the previous decade. 

Winston should have been first team without question in my opinion.

I also prefer Cody or Lamar Stevens to Russell or Swanigan. Hell, Russell only played one year at OSU ... he's a blip high-volume scorer in their history. Not only did Cody and Stevens put up just as good numbers, but they both had a far bigger impact on their respective programs than either Russell or Swanigan.

Cody Zeller and Swanigan both played two years in college. Cody was notably superior statistically in:

• Points per game
  • Blocks
  • Steals
  • Fewer Turnovers
  • FG % (FT% was the same)
  • Team Won/Lost Record
  • Grade Point Average