Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

All-Time Underrated Team

I've seen Bobby Wilkerson on a couple of lists here and definitely agree. Buckner and Wilkerson were the best defensive guards I've ever seen at IU. That Wilkerson jumped center to start the game says all you need to know about his athleticism. He added just enough on the offensive end to make him a really good all around player. 

20 hours ago, jk34 said:

Bobby Wilkerson 

Darryl Thomas 

Steve Eyl

Greg Graham 

Matt Nover

I'm originally from Northwest Indiana and to me, Nover always will be a product of the genius of Bob Knight. Nover had some athleticism (was a good high-jumper in high school), but was a relatively average basketball player. I'm not sure, but I don't recall him being a top-notch major conference prospect. 

He got to IU, redshirted a year and developed into a really solid Big Ten post player. Not great, but someone very fundamentally sound and reliable. Was a great complement to the group of Cheaney, Bailey, Anderson, Henderson and the Grahams. 

44 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm originally from Northwest Indiana and to me, Nover always will be a product of the genius of Bob Knight. Nover had some athleticism (was a good high-jumper in high school), but was a relatively average basketball player. I'm not sure, but I don't recall him being a top-notch major conference prospect. 

He got to IU, redshirted a year and developed into a really solid Big Ten post player. Not great, but someone very fundamentally sound and reliable. Was a great complement to the group of Cheaney, Bailey, Anderson, Henderson and the Grahams. 

Nover and Anderson were friends w/ my RA at IU- I will always remember how wide Nover's shoulders were lol- couldn't walk past him in the dorm hallway.  Really nice guy.

Todd Lindeman

Kirk Haston

Pat Graham

Jamal Meeks 

...and...

Sherron Wilkerson. I know, I know, but I watched him play his junior and senior years at Jeffersonville and really liked him. My aunt was the secretary of the high school and my dad talked to him a lot and had high hopes for him. Then we all know what happened. Sad thing is, his sophomore year was showing a lot of promise for him as a starter and he was a good contributor, but of course it all went down. So maybe not “underrated” as much as “disappointed.”

4 hours ago, cthomas said:

I've seen Bobby Wilkerson on a couple of lists here and definitely agree. Buckner and Wilkerson were the best defensive guards I've ever seen at IU. That Wilkerson jumped center to start the game says all you need to know about his athleticism. He added just enough on the offensive end to make him a really good all around player. 

Loved watching that backcourt play together! We could also add Abernathy to this list. 

I've got a guy that was so underrated at IU that he still hasn't been mentioned for inclusion on our All-Underrated team:

• Averaged 30.0 ppg and 14.7 rpg at IU
  • NBA Hall of Famer - NBA jersey number retired

I'm thinking that with the GoogleWebNet y'all will name him in about two minutes. Ready to name him?

GO!

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I've got a guy that was so underrated at IU that he still hasn't been mentioned for inclusion on our All-Underrated team:

• Averaged 30.0 ppg and 14.7 rpg at IU
  • NBA Hall of Famer - NBA jersey number retired

I'm thinking that with the GoogleWebNet y'all will name him in about two minutes. Ready to name him?

GO!

George McGinnis, I'm thinking.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

McGinnis is the most talented player to don the uniform at IU.  I consider him much more unknown than underrated as an IU player because he's known more for other parts of his career.

I'd agree on more unknown than underrated.  He was a beast his one year here but that was a long time ago.

In terms of talent, George McGinnis, Walt Bellamy, and Isiah Thomas are in a category by themselves. There are other players who had great IU careers (e.g., Calbert Channey, Scott May, Steve Alford)  but none come close to their talent. And, all three had great seasons for the Hoosiers.  McGinnis, who led the Big Ten in scoring in 1971 with 30 points a game and 15 rebounds a game and was named a 3rd team All American, was hardly underrated at that time. But fans tend to favor players who played four years and those from more recent years. In McGinnis' time, freshmen were ineligible to play varsity. IU's 1970-71 front line of George McGinnis, Joby Wright and Steve Downing is probably school's best ever. I agree that McGinnis was the most talented to play for IU.

Has anyone mentioned Dane Fife, Tom Coverdale, or Chris Reynolds?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Dane Fife was kinda overrated in a way. He was a McDonalds All American coming out of HS and wasn’t exactly a star but did turn out to be a hell of a defender.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Will Sheehey
Joby Wright
Christian Watford
Marco Killingsworth
Neil Reed (I'm sure will be unpopular)
Daryl Thomas
William Gladness
Andrae Patterson (could also be most untapped potential)

These are names that come to mind along with many others

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, yogisballin said:

Has anyone mentioned Dane Fife, Tom Coverdale, or Chris Reynolds?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Dane Fife was kinda overrated in a way. He was a McDonalds All American coming out of HS and wasn’t exactly a star but did turn out to be a hell of a defender.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I sorta feel the same way about Coverdale. He was a Mr. Basketball. He was OK. Not great. Not bad. Helped us get to a title game, so there's that. Reynolds could run the offense pretty well and was a good defensive player, but was very limited offensively. I realize that this list is subjective, so no answer is really wrong, but I don't know that I'd consider any of those three to be underrated.