Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Has Archie said anything?

I thought it was really well done too, because it was collaborative with the team. It would have been really easy for Archie to post some text image denouncing racism, as so many other coaches did. But no, he included his entire team/staff in a collaborative way and didn't make it about himself. True leadership. 
Though as with anything, the proof will be any steps they take beyond just making a video. 

Personally, and I know this will upset some, I’d like to see something before each home game. This issue has been raised in the past and then disappeared. (Our of sight out of mind) A quick statement over the PA followed by gestures between fans before the Hoosiers take the floor to beat the crap out of an opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Personally, and I know this will upset some, I’d like to see something before each home game. This issue has been raised in the past and then disappeared. (Our of sight out of mind) A quick statement over the PA followed by gestures between fans before the Hoosiers take the floor to beat the crap out of an opponent.

That would be overkill.

4 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'd be done so fast if this happened.

I'd be done so fast if this happened.

How many games a year do you go in person?

Edit: Reason I ask is I was just curious of what the most offensive chant you have heard/hear? For me it would be nice to do something similar as more of a reminder to not chant or scream racist things amongst others. I usually go to about half or just slightly under half of the home games. Just curious if it’s a different experience that makes you feel that way?

32 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

How many games a year do you go in person?

Edit: Reason I ask is I was just curious of what the most offensive chant you have heard/hear? For me it would be nice to do something similar as more of a reminder to not chant or scream racist things amongst others. I usually go to about half or just slightly under half of the home games. Just curious if it’s a different experience that makes you feel that way?

During all my time at IU, as a student or alumni visiting friends or for sporting events, I honestly can't recall a single incident of racism.  The only one I can actually recall (I wasn't there for it) is when we played Maryland for the B1G/ACC Challenge and that Hispanic player (I can't remember his name) torched us, and some fans chanted "*******".  That was bad.

Honestly though, I don't even know what people are debating anymore.  So I should probably just steer clear.  Even the people who are saying "all lives matter" agree that racism is bad and minorities matter just as much as non-minorities.  Literally everyone agrees with that.  I honestly don't get why there's so much division.  All the last 10 days have been is strawman arguments and people tripping over themselves to look like they're the good guy in all this.

53 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

During all my time at IU, as a student or alumni visiting friends or for sporting events, I honestly can't recall a single incident of racism.  The only one I can actually recall (I wasn't there for it) is when we played Maryland for the B1G/ACC Challenge and that Hispanic player (I can't remember his name) torched us, and some fans chanted "*******".  That was bad.

Honestly though, I don't even know what people are debating anymore.  So I should probably just steer clear.  Even the people who are saying "all lives matter" agree that racism is bad and minorities matter just as much as non-minorities.  Literally everyone agrees with that.  I honestly don't get why there's so much division.  All the last 10 days have been is strawman arguments and people tripping over themselves to look like they're the good guy in all this.

There’s a need for people, especially young people, to see where leadership stands. I’ll offer you two examples that show we have a long way to go:

The first is a whole lot of men just three years ago:

And second is the story of a conservative Republican African American US Senator who, when an elected official, was pulled by the police SEVEN TIMES in one year without being cited or charged. Senator Scott takes about three minutes to introduce the topic, and then shares his very personal experiences.

If you want to watch only one video that crystallizes the issue, I would suggest you watch Senator Tim Scott on the US Senate floor in 2016:

So for me?

We need to reinforce, in the spotlight, that the overwhelming majority of our country are good, fair-minded, and full of grace.

And we need to be deliberate and intentional in doing so.

21 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Bloomington is a unique part of the state. My wife who is not white and I have experienced a lot of racism in our 7+ years together.  Little to none was in Bloomington. Within 48 hours of moving to Greenwood we had a run in with somebody. I can assure you racism exists and you can’t measure its existence by Bloomington Indiana. 

My wife and I were just talking about maybe moving back because of it. 

Don’t get me wrong. There is plenty that is over the top. I appreciate the response. There have been some blatant racism in quite a few of the games I have went to. As both a student and fan. My first racist memory was as a little kid when Lawrence Funderburke came back. Most recent? The MSU game where things started getting thrown and almost got the crowd a T. We should have got one. But I feel I pay attention to those types of things more sometimes than others. I feel an announcement on respect prior to the games would be beneficial to some. But I can understand if you have never witnessed it, you don’t see the reason.

Attended maybe 400 games in TAH and was present for the aforementioned MD game where a racist chant took place among a small group of students.  We never heard it but read  about it afterwards.

Outside of that the F Bomb chants from the students is the worst we have heard.

I attend more women's games than men's, and the worst of the racist remarks was encountered at the women's game vs Purdue last year (I've heard several racist comments at both men's and women's). Without going into too many details, a large group of older women were behind us, one of the ladies kept using derogatory terms to a Purdue player. Her friends were very embarrassed. AH personnel got involved (due to more than that, she grabbed my daughter's arm), and they really didn't know how to respond/react. They ended up just asking her to move :(

It's an interesting dichotomy (I know ... fancy word, lol)

Which is worse ...

1. The woman who screams racist things at the game, and embarrasses everyone around her, or
  2. The cab driver who turns his lights off (signifying the cab is occupied) when he sees someone of color hailing a cab, and the person on the curb never knows there was a problem.

I pick #2 as a far bigger problem. And that's why I'm in favor of good people reinforcing their values.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It's an interesting dichotomy (I know ... fancy word, lol)

Which is worse ...

1. The woman who screams racist things at the game, and embarrasses everyone around her, or
  2. The cab driver who turns his lights off (signifying the cab is occupied) when he sees someone of color hailing a cab, and the person on the curb never knows there was a problem.

I pick #2 as a far bigger problem. And that's why I'm in favor of good people reinforcing their values.

I would agree 2 is far worse. Somebody says something racist at least you know where you stand. When the cop gives me a warning for speeding then same cop later in the week gives my wife a ticket on same stretch of road.  You always have to wonder. 

And that’s a true story btw. 

I would agree 2 is far worse. Somebody says something racist at least you know where you stand. When the cop gives me a warning for speeding then same cop later in the week gives my wife a ticket on same stretch of road.  You always have to wonder. 

And that’s a true story btw. 

Poor spousal communication seems to blame. Lol

Speaking of which, my wife and I both got hit with rolling stop violations at the same spot from the same cop.

My wife didn’t admit to hers until I got mine. Lol. She could have saved me $200.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Poor spousal communication seems to blame. Lol

Speaking of which, my wife and I both got hit with rolling stop violations at the same spot from the same cop.

My wife didn’t admit to hers until I got mine. Lol. She could have saved me $200.

I told her what happened. Didn’t specify the road to be fair.  It was on 37 north of martinsville.  And she wasn’t planning to go to Bloomington any time soon.  

She had to go unexpectedly. Can’t remember why. Probably an issue with her dissertation.