Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Has Archie said anything?

Wasn’t sure how to properly title this thread without letting it spin out of control...but with everything going on right now in the country related to the BLM movement and protests, I was wondering if Archie has said anything on the matter? Unless I missed something, our basketball team has appeared somewhat quiet on this (not criticizing, just observing). Coach Allen  on the other hand has earned a lot of praise for the sentiments he’s offered, while other coaches have been called out for a lack of engagement, or worse (see Iowa football). 

There was recently a large protest in Bloomington as well. Were any of the school’s “faces” present?

5 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Wasn’t sure how to properly title this thread without letting it spin out of control...but with everything going on right now in the country related to the BLM movement and protests, I was wondering if Archie has said anything on the matter? Unless I missed something, our basketball team has appeared somewhat quiet on this (not criticizing, just observing). Coach Allen  on the other hand has earned a lot of praise for the sentiments he’s offered, while other coaches have been called out for a lack of engagement, or worse (see Iowa football). 

There was recently a large protest in Bloomington as well. Were any of the school’s “faces” present?

What happened with Iowa?  I know FSU screws up royal. 

Does he need to say anything? All of these celebrities, coaches, athletes and companies are just doing PR stunts at this point to not get lost to the mob. I don’t think Archie needs to say anything unless he really wants to.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Does he need to say anything? All of these celebrities, coaches, athletes and companies are just doing PR stunts at this point to not get lost to the mob. I don’t think Archie needs to say anything unless he really wants to.

Are you so jaded to believe people can’t have beliefs to their core.  

46 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

This was from about a week ago. I thought the fellas did a pretty nice job with it ... 

Are some doing PR stunts? Can't prove it, but I'm pretty confident it happens.
Are ALL expressing their thoughts as a "PR stunt?" 
I can tell you with as much certainty as I can muster that there are genuine, extraordinary people in this world that walk the walk as a foundational practice, and then talk the talk subsequently.
Not limiting this dynamic to him, but Indiana Football Coach Tom Allen is one of those extraordinary human beings. That video he sent out did far more than "check the empathy box"; it could get him a whole bunch of death threats. By the way...I'm also quite sure that Tom Allen doesn't give a rat's a$$ about that when he follows the courage of his convictions. He is a good man to his absolute core.

I think you can be genuine and do a PR stunt simultaneously. Just my belief.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I need to read the rationale behind this. This should be GREAT, BtownBanners HOF quality, reasoning. Please, don’t disappoint LCS.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

18 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I need to read the rationale behind this. This should be GREAT, BtownBanners HOF quality, reasoning. Please, don’t disappoint LCS.

For it to be true HOF quality, it will need to add the boast that he can “do five PR stunt-thugs at once.”

I don’t think he has to say anything publicly if he doesn’t want to but as someone one who benefits immensely from the work of young black men I hope he has at least talked to the players and supported them.

19 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

What a miserable and ridiculously short-sighted take. It's actually worse than that, it's just the nicest possible way to describe it. I invite you to sit this thread out. Go back to complaining about the lane being clogged somewhere. 

No, actually it's far more perceptive and thought out than the reactionary takes he so frequently posts and he's absolutely correct. Archie has every right to express himself or not about any issue he chooses. He doesn't need to join the virtue signaling mob just because some get off on telling others how they should feel or demonstrate those feelings. 

Personally, I'd much rather see Archie concentrate on supporting his players than do a PR stunt like Calipari, one that seems less sincere and more of a calculated move designed to help him find more kids to exploit. Better to be silent and sincere than to corrupt a tragedy into a chance for personal gain.

24 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

No, actually it's far more perceptive and thought out than the reactionary takes he so frequently posts and he's absolutely correct. Archie has every right to express himself or not about any issue he chooses. He doesn't need to join the virtue signaling mob just because some get off on telling others how they should feel or demonstrate those feelings. 

Personally, I'd much rather see Archie concentrate on supporting his players than do a PR stunt like Calipari, one that seems less sincere and more of a calculated move designed to help him find more kids to exploit. Better to be silent and sincere than to corrupt a tragedy into a chance for personal gain.

Interesting, and a point of discussion well made. 

I think my problem with Loaded's post was that he said that ALL public figures who were speaking out were doing so as a PR stunt. Do some speak out to be, as you say "virtue signaling?" I believe so. But, just because some may do that does not mean that public leaders cannot speak out when they feel the need to go on the record with their thoughts.

So Tom Allen (for instance) has a long history of publicly leading on interpersonal issues he believes in. When a national monster-sized issue that is directly related to his lifelong thoughts is open for discussion, his public take is not a PR stunt in any way in my opinion.

That's the problem with reactionary takes; they lose all context and disparage those who are truly invested in improving society from their corner of it.