Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Really nice quote from Thornton.   Oftentimes it seems like the responses to offers are pretty canned and blah, blah, blah, but not this one.

"Not everybody can just play there. It is an honor. Just really shocked and speechless when I heard IU calling."

Yeah — there seems to be some real mutual interest here. If/when we have the season that most of us are expecting, this is a real possibility. We’ve been there from the start with this young man.

Jake Weingarten - Stockrisers.com

When it comes to the more gritty prospects in the 2022 class, one name that comes to mind is Georgia native Bruce Thornton. Ranked as high as No. 19, according to Rivals.com, he stands at 6-foot-2 and is rated as a four-star recruit.

The Milton product averaged 23.5 points, seven rebounds, and six assists. Despite the size, he can do everything on the floor.

As far as his recruitment goes, plenty of schools are involved. Most recently adding offers from Indiana’s Archie Miller and Purdue’s Matt Painter, the list goes on and on varying from all conferences.

“I have a lot of schools that have offered but to list some, I’ve got Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Miami, and many more,” Thornton said.

Another program that hasn’t offered: Kentucky. The Wildcats have a legitimate interest in him, hosting him for an unofficial visit this past season. The last prospect that they landed out of Georgia: Ashton Hagans.

Auburn is another program that hosted him for a visit, like many, this past season. Thornton has publicly stated how he likes the program and the coaching staff.

I fully expect Thornton not to sleep on June 15th when the contact period begins because as of now, college coaches don’t have the allowance to call recruits, which changes in a few weeks.

2 things from this: 1) team captain as a Freshman is impressive as hell, love it. 2) “Miller obtained two game films, and that was enough,” evokes images of Archie watching black and white reel to reel of Thornton lacin’ ‘em up verses Terhune. 

If you want to watch a full game of Thornton, this is a REALLY good one. Grayson has Deivon  Smith, who’s a 4-star ‘20 PG going to Miss St. He has a good game. Thornton has a great one. He’s a fun kid to watch. Has some Chris Paul to his game. With the exception of a couple of plays late, he was always under control. Very patient. Really plays with vision. Shows a lot of variety in his offensive game. Passes were crisp and accurate. Made 3 separate really good defensive plays. Oh, and he pretty much made everything. Scores at all 3 levels. Finished with 40 or so. If this is one of the games that Archie watched, yeah, you make an exception to your offer rule here.

btw: it’s a really good game, goes down to the buzzer.

On 6/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Auburn: “It was a packed crowd and loud.” 

- if he visits Bloomington, then I'm quite sure it will equal the capacity and volume if not exceed it

Indiana: “That offer surprised me. They had a Hall of Famer in Isaiah Thomas. That’s a big basketball school."

- enough said, but if Landers lives up to the hype and performs well in Archie's system, then that might help too

Maryland: “The whole coaching staff played point guard, so they can help me become a better point guard.”

- Archie played point guard

Ohio State: “They have a lot of history."

- not nearly as much basketball history as Indiana

Purdue: “They really want to build a relationship. They brought three different coaches down to see me. They really put in the time to recruit me.”

- if Archie wants him, then he and Roberts will put the time in to build a strong relationship too

Georgia might have a leg up thus far.  His parents played there, and his parents still live nearby.  He mentioned how Crean plays a fast tempo he likes, which can't be argued.  I'm sure he grew up watching the SEC.  I'm not sure if he's a church-goer, so as far as I know that's still a non-factor.

Yeah, I saw this write-up a minutes ago. Wow. Checks a lot of boxes as the kind of person Archie wants running the point? Easy to see why he would be getting so much attention.

In the games I’ve able to find he reminds of a more offensively talented Hassan Diarra. Just a really tough, competitive, high effort kid. And I’ve always had a weakness for kids who also play football.

Thornton seems to have taken a real shine to the Big 10. Both Indiana and Purdue are serious threats to land his commitment and should be considered among the frontrunners at this early juncture.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-bruce-thornton-talks-uga-purdue-indiana

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Thornton seems to have taken a real shine to the Big 10. Both Indiana and Purdue are serious threats to land his commitment and should be considered among the frontrunners at this early juncture.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-bruce-thornton-talks-uga-purdue-indiana

This will be interesting, battling Purdue and Tom Crean for a recruit. It will be painful to lose him to either of those other two