Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Indiana MBB 20-21 Rotation Discussion

Perfect world sure. But say Al is hurt and then they call 2 quick bs fouls on Phinisee. Well great sorta boned. 

Or Brunk is sick, TJD picks up two quick fouls because Big Ten, and Race couldn’t figure out he had to pull the locker room door instead of pushing it..

We’d be relying on Mike Roberts doing damage in dress shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Or Brunk is sick, TJD picks up two quick fouls because Big Ten, and Race couldn’t figure out he had to pull the locker room door instead of pushing it..

We’d be relying on Mike Roberts doing damage in dress shoes!

Your acting like missing two players is some ridiculous concept and not one we have lived for two years. 

Your acting like missing two players is some ridiculous concept and not one we have lived for two years. 

I get it where it would be convenient. From my angle most every decent team in America isn’t deeper than we are. You have to have your horses on the court. You can’t really plan on having talent that could play many minutes at any other college on the bench. It starts to mess with chemistry. We will miss the good Justin Smith for sure. But I think outside of TJD and Brunk being in the game at the same time we just opened the lanes up for our guards, a lot.

Race is going to have to be that junkyard dog Archie wanted Justin to be. This pretty much means Hunter has to be on point when the season starts too. A combo of Hunter and Race have to take over the good things Justin did. If we don’t see improvement in our offense with things opening up, I think we would all agree we will know where we stand with Archie in mostly agreement.

Perfect world sure. But say Al is hurt and then they call 2 quick bs fouls on Phinisee. Well great sorta boned. 

We have two great ball handlers and a third that is serviceable for stretches. Any team would be happy to have that. You just so happened to pick two of them for your scenario which has nothing to do with Smith or our non 5 star freshmen.

In that scenario.. Lander is relied on to play heavy minutes as the lead guard. You rest him and allow Franklin to handle the ball just before media timeouts. Hunter would have to be able to play some time at the two along with Geronimo or Leal (whoever is more ready or having a better game) to get some minutes as well. Oh no, relying on non 5 star freshmen to get minutes, we’re totally screwed.

I’m not as worried about the backcourt as much as I am about the frontcourt. I’d like to see another 3/4 added to the roster so we’re not relying on Hunter to guard bigger 4s. We’re a frontcourt injury away from going small. If we’re running and gunning that’s fine but that hasn’t been what we’ve seen so far under Archie.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We have two great ball handlers and a third that is serviceable for stretches. Any team would be happy to have that. You just so happened to pick two of them for your scenario which has nothing to do with Smith or our non 5 star freshmen.

In that scenario.. Lander is relied on to play heavy minutes as the lead guard. You rest him and allow Franklin to handle the ball just before media timeouts. Hunter would have to be able to play some time at the two along with Geronimo or Leal (whoever is more ready or having a better game) to get some minutes as well. Oh no, relying on non 5 star freshmen to get minutes, we’re totally screwed.

I’m not as worried about the backcourt as much as I am about the frontcourt. I’d like to see another 3/4 added to the roster so we’re not relying on Hunter to guard bigger 4s. We’re a frontcourt injury away from going small. If we’re running and gunning that’s fine but that hasn’t been what we’ve seen so far under Archie.

I really just picked the first 2 starters I could think of. 

It doesn’t really matter which 2 you take out of our 8 man rotation. No matter who it is we are in trouble. 

Last year 1 out of 11 of our players was a non 5 star freshmen. We had to rely on him. Why is it so ridiculous to think when it’s 3 out of 11 we are going to be forced to rely on one or two. 

14 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I get it where it would be convenient. From my angle most every decent team in America isn’t deeper than we are. You have to have your horses on the court. You can’t really plan on having talent that could play many minutes at any other college on the bench. It starts to mess with chemistry. We will miss the good Justin Smith for sure. But I think outside of TJD and Brunk being in the game at the same time we just opened the lanes up for our guards, a lot.

Race is going to have to be that junkyard dog Archie wanted Justin to be. This pretty much means Hunter has to be on point when the season starts too. A combo of Hunter and Race have to take over the good things Justin did. If we don’t see improvement in our offense with things opening up, I think we would all agree we will know where we stand with Archie in mostly agreement.

Maybe other teams are about as experienced. Off top of my head Iowa and Wisconsin both have more than 8 rotation players. But part of it is Archies style we have seen a need to have significant depth beyond 7-8 players. Yet we aren’t filling that need. 

If this season doesn’t go as planned and an injury derails they season I am sure people will blame the injury and not the lack of preparedness. 

I think we may somewhat be underscoring the value of Race. We looked best as a team the last 3rd of the season with Race on the floor. He brought much more tenacity than Hunter and especially Smith. He was extremely tough on the boards and his improvement on the defensive end and hustle was notable. Several blocks in the paint and on breaks. If improvement with him and Hunter, Smith will not be missed IMO

2 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Not sure what they are...but would like to see the stats for Race and Smith over the last 10 games of the season, min played per game during that time frame.

Smith 28.3 minutes. 8.5 points. 4.6 rebounds. On 47% shooting. 

Hunter 16 minutes. 3.1 points on 33% shooting. 2.2 rebounds. 

That’s the part where we’ll be alright. Leal and Geronimo won’t be counted on to contribute every night but will get the chance to show out if they’re on in a particular game.

Leal has the talent to be counted on. He’s going to be good as a freshman. Better than Franklin was.

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Smith 28.3 minutes. 8.5 points. 4.6 rebounds. On 47% shooting. 

Hunter 16 minutes. 3.1 points on 33% shooting. 2.2 rebounds. 

Hunter shot the Val much better at the end of the year and was starting to come into his own. Much higher ceiling than Smith imho. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Hunter shot the Val much better at the end of the year and was starting to come into his own. Much higher ceiling than Smith imho. 

He shot 33% his final ten games of the season. Which was down from his season average. 

My Early Line Up:

Lander

Phinisee

Durham

Thompson

TJD

Bench: Hunter, Brunk, Geronimo, Franklin, Leal

Like many of you, would like to see them add a big that can play the next two years. If something happens to TJD, Brunk, or Race we are thin there. I expect IU to be a top 20-25 team this season and finish in the top 5 of the B1G. I'd like one if not two NCAA tournament wins this year. Really pumped the team could be returning on June 15. 

Archie will start Joey Brunk at the beginning of the season. What happens later is anyone's guess. Kristian Lander may begin the season coming off the bench as DJ Carton did for Ohio State. Lander will likely move into the starting lineup at some point. In any event, he will average 25 minutes a game or more whether he starts or not.

Phinisee                                                                                                                                                                                       

Durham

Hunter

TJD

Brunk

Archie will start Joey Brunk at the beginning of the season. What happens later is anyone's guess. Kristian Lander may begin the season coming off the bench as DJ Carton did for Ohio State. Lander will likely move into the starting lineup at some point. In any event, he will average 25 minutes a game or more whether he starts or not.
Phinisee                                                                                                                                                                                       
Durham
Hunter
TJD
Brunk

Agree. Brunk will start just like last year and his play will dictate where he ends up. I agree, I think Lander comes off the bench too, until it stands out he’s better than a starter.

Agree. Brunk will start just like last year and his play will dictate where he ends up. I agree, I think Lander comes off the bench too, until it stands out he’s better than a starter.

I fond it crazy how we spent last season featuring Brunk so often on offense. Like he was a role player off the bench the season before on a crappy Butler team, comes to Indiana and starts every single game. He was also our worst FT shooter at 44.6%, just behind De’Ron Davis’ 45.5%. This team just will not reach its potential with Brunk on the floor with TJD. Hopefully Thompson is working on his 3point shooting because TJD needs his space down low.