Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Indiana MBB 20-21 Rotation Discussion

Sorry if there’s a topic covering this, I looked and couldn’t find one.  

With Lander officially in. Time for us to try and deduce Archie decisions for the rotation. 

For me

Rob and Lander both start with one staying in at all time.  Al and Franklin battling for the backup role. 

Race, Hunter and Smith will battle for the two forward spots. Whoever loses out will get minutes off the bench. 

TJD starts. Brunk spells him but likely Brunks minutes greatly reduced.  

And for the first time in a long time we get to let our non 5 star freshmen learn and develop versus depending on them. Geronimo, Leal and Galloway focus on getting better.  Smith and Als minutes will be up for grabs after this year. 

Haven’t seen a ton of change for the starting 5 under Archie yet and I’m not expecting that to change very much.

Phinisee
Lander
Smith
TJD
Brunk.

Al, Race, Jerome, and Armaan fill out the 9 and Geronimo will see the floor sporadically is my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What I would like to see..

Phin, Durham, Hunter, Smith, Jackson-Davis

Lander, Franklin getting the most run off the bench at the guard spots

Thompson being the first forward in the game and Brunk backing up TJD for 10-15 mpg.

If Leal is hitting and defending give home some run. Geronimo will get decent freshman minutes too.

What will probably happen
Phin, Durham, Smith, Jackson-Davis, Brunk

Lander won't start at the beginning of the season. He'll need some acclimation time. Maybe by conference play. But he'll get lots of playing time. Also, while Lander and Phinisee will play together some, two 6'1'' guards would present defensive liability issues especially against better teams whose shooting guards are 6'4'' or taller.

I think what Archie will do to start season: Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD, Brunk. With Lander being the first off the bench and 4th in mpg until conference with an 11 man rotation.

What I would like: Rob, Lander, Al, Hunter, TJD. Franklin or Smith first off the bench. 8 man rotation. Stop with rotations that have no outside threat. Protect TJD lineups you can space out. If he picks up fouls move him back to the 4.

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think what Archie will do to start season: Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD, Brunk. With Lander being the first off the bench and 4th in mpg until conference with an 11 man rotation.

What I would like: Rob, Lander, Al, Hunter, TJD. Franklin or Smith first off the bench. 8 man rotation. Stop with rotations that have no outside threat. Protect TJD lineups you can space out. If he picks up fouls move him back to the 4

Ain't no way under any circumstances that Justin Smith does not start as a senior if he's a healthy member of the team.

Just my opinion, but I’d be surprised if the starting 5 for opening night isn’t Rob, Al, Smith, TJD, Brunk.

By the end of the year, however, I’m hoping that our starting 5 is Rob, Lander, Hunter, Smith, TJD. I think that would mean the development of lander and hunter was impressive and smith committed to playing the 4

Ain't no way under any circumstances that Justin Smith does not start as a senior if he's a healthy member of the team.

If Hunter provides more Archie showed he has no problem sending a Senior to the bench. If Justin plays consistently great defense and rebounds good I think he will still play 20-25 even if he comes off of the bench. I think Hunter can provide more than Justin and his game complements Lander and TJD so much more than Justin’s does imo. He should make that freshman to sophomore jump. He is also probably comfortable and confident in his leg. That was probably his biggest hurdle. If Jerome outplays him early I wouldn’t be surprised. We are hopefully past the point we are playing inconsistent seniors just because they are seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Justin Smith isn't coming off the bench. If Hunter is good enough to be a starter then Archie moves TJD to the 5, Smith to the 4 and Hunter to the 3 to start. Brunk is too slow against most teams anyway. People on this board have been predicting Smith would transfer or lose his starting job for two years now. Smith is arguably the best defensive player on the team and Archie values defense.

13 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Justin Smith isn't coming off the bench. If Hunter is good enough to be a starter then Archie moves TJD to the 5, Smith to the 4 and Hunter to the 3 to start. Brunk is too slow against most teams anyway. People on this board have been predicting Smith would transfer or lose his starting job for two years now. Smith is arguably the best defensive player on the team and Archie values defense.

Yup.

For me it's Rob, TJD, and Justin as all but guaranteed starters. Then, pick two out of Joey, Race, Jerome, Al, and Khristian.

Though he hasn't really shown it yet, I believe that Race has the ability to step out and hit the three at a 35% clip. If he can do that, his physicality makes him my preference for a starting slot.

IMO the only locks to start right now are Smith and TJD. Brunk and Phin need to show improvement to keep their spots and I hope they do. My preferred lineup is Phin, Al, Smith, TJD and Brunk but someone is going to have to hit jumpers in order for this to work.
Enter Lander for Phin and Hunter for Al if that doesn’t happen. Race will probably be the 6th man for TJD and Brunk regardless. Franklin and Geronimo are my (hopefull) sleeper picks for a breakout season. 

There are a few.

Same ol’ same ol’ with Rob, Al, Smith, TJD and Brunk which Archie should be fired for if he evens tried to roll that out.

Rob, Lander, Smith, Race, TJD

Rob, Al, Smith, Race, TJD

Lander, Al, Smith, Race, TJD

Lander, Al, Hunter, Smith, TJD

There are plenty of good lineups. Just need Archie to actually realize that.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

There are a few.

Same ol’ same ol’ with Rob, Al, Smith, TJD and Brunk which Archie should be fired for if he evens tried to roll that out.

Rob, Lander, Smith, Race, TJD

Rob, Al, Smith, Race, TJD

Lander, Al, Smith, Race, TJD

Lander, Al, Hunter, Smith, TJD

There are plenty of good lineups. Just need Archie to actually realize that.

so ... for you, anything that doesn’t include Joey Brunk.

Got it.