Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

Firearms

On 5/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

what kind of sight and suppressor? Looks like an aimpoint and maybe "knight" suppressor. i cant tell from the photo.

FWIW, my GF is from Cocoa and her dad worked as a machinist for Knights Armament for years. A few years back, the more experienced machinists were told they had to take a pay cut or would be replaced with less experienced machinists willing to work for lower wages. Personally, I wouldn’t shell out kind of money they demand knowing their business model.

He's also told me of some shady s*** that goes on at that factory. Namely the production of lowers and suppressors without serial numbers. 

I shoot much less than I would like to and collect more than I probably should. My collection ranges from a few antiques to WWII mil-surps to hunting rifles with plenty of shotguns, handguns and modern defensive firearms thrown in as well. I've been focused mostly on pre-'64 Winchesters and full stocked rifles lately. 

On 5/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, Bigred3588 said:

FWIW, my GF is from Cocoa and her dad worked as a machinist for Knights Armament for years. A few years back, the more experienced machinists were told they had to take a pay cut or would be replaced with less experienced machinists willing to work for lower wages. Personally, I wouldn’t shell out kind of money they demand knowing their business model.

He's also told me of some shady s*** that goes on at that factory. Namely the production of lowers and receivers without serial numbers. 

i have used Knights Armament suppressors for years while working military stuff. Love their work, sad to hear that they have changed the quality and there is some shady **** going on. Oh well, time to look at other options.

Not really into collecting, but do own 3 firearms:

Taurus PT 111
Ruger LR 22
Mossberg 500 12g

I enjoy shooting, but since I’m out here in Stl I don’t have anyone to go with. Shouldn’t stop me from going to the range from time to time though

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Haha, that’s awesome. I haven’t gotten the shotgun out in awhile, need to find time to go shooting on some property or to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I've got a few my dad had that I'd love to shoot but doubt I will because he didn't.  A Franchi shotgun and Colt Python to name two.

When he was living we shot his Remington 870 Wingmasters, and those are some really nice shotguns.

I've got a few my dad had that I'd love to shoot but doubt I will because he didn't.  A Franchi shotgun and Colt Python to name two.
When he was living we shot his Remington 870 Wingmasters, and those are some really nice shotguns.

I never grew up with firearms so I’m a newbie pretty much. If it wasn’t for my in-laws I highly doubt I would own one. Even though I’ve never hunted and would like to, I may surprise my father-in-law with a hog hunt next year. It’s something he’s always wanted to do, but I would need to get me a nice rifle for that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I never grew up with firearms so I’m a newbie pretty much. If it wasn’t for my in-laws I highly doubt I would own one. Even though I’ve never hunted and would like to, I may surprise my father-in-law with a hog hunt next year. It’s something he’s always wanted to do, but I would need to get me a nice rifle for that lol.

My dad was military for 21 years (before my time) and loved deer hunting, he liked guns too though so I've been around them all my life.  I like them but I'm not the stereotypical "gun guy"; as a culture we've romanticized guns to a level we shouldn't.

Hunting doesn't take anything real nice.  Those 870 Wingmasters have nice wood stocks, but cheaper polymer would do the same thing.

10 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Do it! Hog hunting is a blast. They're destructive, so it's beneficial to everyone, they are (usually) delicious and are more "exciting" to hunt than deer (IMO.) 

I've hunted them over feeders (Fla) with dogs (GA & FL) with thermal (GA- although that was more extermination than hunting) and spot and stock (SE Missouri) I love it. 

Do it! Hog hunting is a blast. They're destructive, so it's beneficial to everyone, they are (usually) delicious and are more "exciting" to hunt than deer (IMO.) 
I've hunted them over feeders (Fla) with dogs (GA & FL) with thermal (GA- although that was more extermination than hunting) and spot and stock (SE Missouri) I love it. 

I’ve heard it’s a lot of fun, and some of the places I’ve researched offer knife hunts. No way I trust myself to do that lol. I would probably do SE Missouri since I’m a MO resident of Arkansas, the in-laws have a lot of family there. Never know, several states seem to offer quality hunts.

Hog hunting is probably a good way to dip your toe into hunting. In fact, lack of other big game hunting experience is probably a benefit to hog hunting in some ways. Hunting with dogs is probably not the best way to start for a beginner but can be a lot of fun. IMO, spot and stalk is the most enjoyable method but hunting out of a stand or blind with or without a feeder is probably a better way to start. A good setup should give you plenty of opportunities, a solid rest, and time to wait for a good shot. You don't want to wound a hog, not because of potential danger(it's real but over blown, IMO), because they can be very difficult to track and recover with poor hits.