Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Positive news regarding coronavirus thread

Great thread!

Family dinners seven nights a week with a wife and three kids that are never over-scheduled, over-stressed, or overwhelmed.

Exercise, and lots of it: about to turn 55 and I’m running four times a week, and hitting the weights five times a week. Even the dogs are getting more walks.

Reading, playing my guitar (badly), and watching the best sporting events in history on YouTube.

We just moved: we have time to set things up in a real way.

Replacing some of the (lacking) in-person work by my staff with some excellent learning links that I provide.

It’s a beautiful time of year in South Fla.

Taking a lot of family walks as well.  

I know it's a childish game, but I am a Pokemon Go nut (for anyone who knows the game, I hit level 40 last year and just went over 30 million XP).  Looked like it was going to be pretty hard to play given that it would involve going around more croweded areas where 'spawns' occur more often, but Niantic (makers of Pokemon Go) changed the spawn rates in residential areas so that you could catch a decent amount around the neighborhood.  They've also come out with 1 coin (basically 1 cent) purchases that allow you to keep stocked with items and done other things to that allow you to play while social distancing.

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

@brumdog45 great idea!  My daughter is at UIndy, and all of her summer jobs (and prospects) got cancelled. She stepped out of her comfort zone and landed an internship at a startup online clothing store that launches at the end of the month. After her first week, they told her to drop the "intern" tag, that she was their Social Media Marketer!  She would've never veered off of her set path if not for other jobs being cut. 

Cool!  I am a UIndy graduate as are my sister and my niece and nephew.  My daughter is graduating with a degree in political science from Valpo and interned for in DC last fall.  She has. Econ’s very adept in media and computer graphics in her campaign work....could be s as route she goes.  Tough market to be graduating in.

I’m in the military and been telecommuting since the wife is in the medical field and around covid positive patients, so being able to grow a beard for the first time in 14 years is #1....oh and yeah spending more time with the kids too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 5/6/2020 at 9:24 PM, brumdog45 said:

Everyone is free to do what they want and post what they want to post....just through I would start a thread for positive news regarding coronavirus.  Obviously no one policing the board, just a request for positive things if you aren't wanting to get into the debates on the other thread.  Just a little therapy.

Positive things from my coronavirus experience:

1.  Have spent six weeks at home with my college aged kids, my wife, and mother and father in law (we have a dual living arranged style of house) and really have gotten along pretty well....frustrations but never arguments.

2.  Have been playing some online RPGs with a buddy I know that lives in Alaska that I hadn't talked to in 25 years.  Always started a group up for my son and his friends to keep my son occupied.

3.  Created some very usable online content for teaching and learned how to use some new teaching apps that I didn't know about.

4.  Learned of a local farmer's market consortium that delivers and have been able to help support local farmers and butchers.

BTW, grilled some chicken leg quarters from the farmer's market consortium tonight.  They were really good.  Last week put some Italian sausage we had purchase from them in the slow cooker....best Italian Sausage I'd ever had.  The meat we are getting from them is pretty expensive (not that all meat isn't expensive now), but do like supporting the local economy right now.

Watching "The Last Dance" with my boys and watching them (high school aged) turn from "LeBron's the best ever" to "You were right, Dad.  It's Jordan.  And...it's not close."
Buying and learning (again) to use the Weber charcoal kettle.  I last used one in...1998, maybe?
Walking, praying, and just being sometimes.  Exploring the next chapter of my life.  The "pause" was needed.
Getting to know my best friend even better.  More on her at a later date.  Planning vacations...
Re-discovering music
Re-discovering hope.    I miss sports.  And they are coming back.

Yeah buddy!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Tomorrow is Kung Pao Chicken night in the Nips household. Carbon steel wok time! Late week Red Curry shrimp or chicken from scratch. Gotta go to Asian store to get the authentic ingredients to make the curry paste. No problem, my name is Khun Nips! I got this down!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

20 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Watching "The Last Dance" with my boys and watching them (high school aged) turn from "LeBron's the best ever" to "You were right, Dad.  It's Jordan.  And...it's not close."

Buying and learning (again) to use the Weber charcoal kettle.  I last used one in...1998, maybe?

Walking, praying, and just being sometimes.  Exploring the next chapter of my life.  The "pause" was needed.

Getting to know my best friend even better.  More on her at a later date.  Planning vacations...

Re-discovering music

Re-discovering hope.    I miss sports.  And they are coming back.

Interesting concept they are working on with baseball.  A lot of work to be done in negotiations between the MLB and MLBPA.  I expect it will get done eventually.

A couple of thoughts:

I used to be a traditionalist, don't use the DH guy.  At this point, I'm tired of seeing a buck ten hitting pitcher's bat.  I'm fine with a universal DH if they go that route.  

If the games end up being played without fans -- or limited fans -- for a time period, I think we aren't going to miss that part as much as in other sports.  Most of us are really television fans, IMO......unlike the NFL and quite a few places in the NBA, stadiums aren't normally packed and most of us at best hit a game or two per year.

Have learned a lot of new apps useful to teaching in an online world.  I have a Masters in Instructional Design, but most of the software I learned at that point at this point were obsolete.  I had strongly considered after retiring looking to teach online courses and this reinforced that I could do so.

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Interesting concept they are working on with baseball.  A lot of work to be done in negotiations between the MLB and MLBPA.  I expect it will get done eventually.

A couple of thoughts:

I used to be a traditionalist, don't use the DH guy.  At this point, I'm tired of seeing a buck ten hitting pitcher's bat.  I'm fine with a universal DH if they go that route.  

If the games end up being played without fans -- or limited fans -- for a time period, I think we aren't going to miss that part as much as in other sports.  Most of us are really television fans, IMO......unlike the NFL and quite a few places in the NBA, stadiums aren't normally packed and most of us at best hit a game or two per year.

I'd be fine with universal DH as well.  Pitchers aren't just bad hitters, they're terrible even compared to bad hitters and as close to a guaranteed out as it gets.

I've deep-cleaned every carpet in my house. A long-overdue project that I simply didn't have the time or energy for when I worked five days a week. 

I've had time to properly grieve and start to accept the loss of my 20 year old cat who died near the end of March. 

I've thought of ways to make my community better...not getting too far with this one. 

I went to a dentist for the first time in 8 years, and I'm very glad I did. Always see a dentist at least once a year. It's possible to have a mouthful of cavities and not feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever. 

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd be fine with universal DH as well.  Pitchers aren't just bad hitters, they're terrible even compared to bad hitters and as close to a guaranteed out as it gets.

There's no bigger buzzkill in sports than seeing the 7 and 8 hitters intentionally walked back to back to bring up a pitcher who's not even trying to get a hit. 

19 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I've thought of ways to make my community better...not getting too far with this one. 

I went to a dentist for the first time in 8 years, and I'm very glad I did. Always see a dentist at least once a year. It's possible to have a mouthful of cavities and not feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever. 

I went to a dentist last fall for the first time in about in 8 years as well.  I went for an issue with a previous filling that had loosened and fallen out.  No pay with it nor in any teeth in my mouth....but had about six cavities.  Think in total I had to do four visits in all because of cavities, teeth cleaning, and the process of removing the filling and refilling it (it was from a tooth that had previously chipped badly).  Hated every minute of the appointments but wouldn't had to go in so much if I had occasionally went in.

I went to a dentist last fall for the first time in about in 8 years as well.  I went for an issue with a previous filling that had loosened and fallen out.  No pay with it nor in any teeth in my mouth....but had about six cavities.  Think in total I had to do four visits in all because of cavities, teeth cleaning, and the process of removing the filling and refilling it (it was from a tooth that had previously chipped badly).  Hated every minute of the appointments but wouldn't had to go in so much if I had occasionally went in.

Dentists rule!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app