Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

thankfully it will be an upgrade for IU too

I expect the same Justin Smith at Arkansas. I hope he gets the green light because I’d love to see what that looks like. The real question is if he will make more driving baskets in a different system.

PS-he won’t get the green light.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have a feeling the first time a teams 4 roasts us people will miss smith. 

Maybe. There were plenty of 4s who roasted us while he was here too. 

But nothing will make me miss his 3-4 drives to the basket/game that ended with a travel, charge, turnover, or a weak take to the rim. 

I will miss Justin Smith the player on more than a few occasions - especially when we need an athletic defensive stopper who can handle multiple positions on the defensive end. Other than TJD, or if JGeronimo or TGalloway develop far faster than expected, we don't really have that in our mix.

I will miss Justin Smith the player on more than a few occasions - especially when we need an athletic defensive stopper who can handle multiple positions on the defensive end. Other than TJD, or if JGeronimo or TGalloway develop far faster than expected, we don't really have that in our mix.

I think Hunter has that capability. He’s obviously nowhere near the athlete Smith was vertically, but Hunter has a lot of length and showed some good defensive spurts last season. We need him to become a poor mans De’Andre Hunter.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think Hunter has that capability. He’s obviously nowhere near the athlete Smith was vertically, but Hunter has a lot of length and showed some good defensive spurts last season. We need him to become a poor mans De’Andre Hunter.

Not seeing that at all - like you said, he's nowhere near the athlete. Also think he is not as physically aggressive in general. And like you, I'm a big Jerome Hunter fan. 

Not seeing that at all - like you said, he's nowhere near the athlete. Also think he is not as physically aggressive in general. And like you, I'm a big Jerome Hunter fan. 

He has the speed. He seems a little longer than Smith though. I don’t think he can be as good as Smith was, but will be helpful defensively at the 3. And depending on the opposing teams 4, he should be fine there as well(just because a lot of college teams play guys his size at the 4 too).

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

i do agree he isn't the athlete but Jerome Hunter had two of the most impressive blocks on the team last year where he chased a guy from behind and slammed the ball off the backboard. Something I don't think Justin has ever done. 

I know those are two particular examples, but I think it shows Jerome has the capability to be an athletic defender with good instincts. 

One was against UCONN and the other was against NEB in the BIG tourney 

i do agree he isn't the athlete but Jerome Hunter had two of the most impressive blocks on the team last year where he chased a guy from behind and slammed the ball off the backboard. Something I don't think Justin has ever done. 
I know those are two particular examples, but I think it shows Jerome has the capability to be an athletic defender with good instincts. 

Smith had the huge block against MSU last season and I think a timely block and steal against PSU. Smith won us a few games with his defense. It’s something we will miss. But Hunters possible ability to do a little on both ends is big. His potential is big for us. He probably has the most aggressive offensive mind on the team and we will need a guy with that sort of mentality.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He has the speed. He seems a little longer than Smith though. I don’t think he can be as good as Smith was, but will be helpful defensively at the 3. And depending on the opposing teams 4, he should be fine there as well(just because a lot of college teams play guys his size at the 4 too).

Agree on Hunter, and he doesn't need to be 'as good as Smith' defensively. He just needs to be above average and be able to handle the role. The gain Hunter brings offensively, especially with improvement, can more than offset the loss of Smith defensively. 

Agree on Hunter, and he doesn't need to be 'as good as Smith' defensively. He just needs to be above average and be able to handle the role. The gain Hunter brings offensively, especially with improvement, can more than offset the loss of Smith defensively. 

Agreed and I thought down the stretch he started to look comfortable with his legs and moving. You could tell early on he was thinking about the leg some.

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Maybe. There were plenty of 4s who roasted us while he was here too. 

But nothing will make me miss his 3-4 drives to the basket/game that ended with a travel, charge, turnover, or a weak take to the rim. 

Whoever we replace him with will make mistakes too. 

Smith and Hunter both lacked aggressiveness in my estimation.

I think some of that is Archie’s half court sets didn’t facilitate much activity from the wings.

For as good as Smith could be defensively at times, he’d completely lose focus and wouldn’t get back in transition often.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Smith and Hunter both lacked aggressiveness in my estimation.

I think some of that is Archie’s half court sets didn’t facilitate much activity from the wings.

For as good as Smith could be defensively at times, he’d completely lose focus and wouldn’t get back in transition often.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

When he was locked in defensively it was a thing of beauty. When he forgot that he was on the court it wasn’t pretty. He seemed to have had the bad Troy good Troy moments but Smith’s seemed to depend on effort whereas Troy’s was on focus. I never questioned Troy’s effort. I questioned if that lambo had a steering wheel all the time.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:03 AM, IUc2016 said:

In order to get a chase-down block from behind, you actually have to run and chase the guy down, lol  :)

https://www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20200612/sports/200619763/?__twitter_impression=true

Nice article. Also confirms the obvious: that Justin and his parents have a fundamental misunderstanding of some of Justin’s shortcomings. Really seems convinced that his ineffectiveness on the wing was a function of development and use, which is just flat wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20200612/sports/200619763/?__twitter_impression=true

Nice article. Also confirms the obvious: that Justin and his parents have a fundamental misunderstanding of some of Justin’s shortcomings. Really seems convinced that his ineffectiveness on the wing was a function of development and use, which is just flat wrong. 

Sayeth Justin about his time at IU: “I have no complaints.”

Something tells me that’s because he voiced them all during the past three years. :-)

He’s actually got a point.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:58 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He’s actually got a point.

I sincerely wish him the best, but the things he said he was excited about in their style of play, don't really strike me as his strengths.

I guess it depends on how you look at it, but I felt like we played played him at the wing to the detriment of the team in some ways. He never developed a handle or shot that allowed him to pull his defender away from the paint. But, maybe a new coach can get him to play with a passion and desire that we rarely saw during his three years in Bloomington.