Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

So Justin doesn’t have a chance or had a chance to make the NCAA tournament at IU? That’s your opinion? We would have made it last year. That’s not opinion. That’s a fact. Same as we are coming into this season as a top 25 team. Those aren’t opinions. Those are easily backed up.

Archie Miller is a bad coach? That’s your opinion?
I can throw stats at you to show we have improved. Same as you can throw stats at me to show we haven’t. I disagree, but I can leave this one at opinion because there is no way for either to prove definitively.

As a team we haven’t improved? That’s your opinion? This again is proven false. We have won 16, 19, and 20 by year. With no chance to improve on the 20 because of an epidemic. You cherry picked B1G of all things to prove we aren’t improving. I will say again only a team to the West thinks conference standings mean more than they mean. I along with most other rational people look at an overall picture. We won 9, 8, and 9 the last three years in conference. What exactly does that matter? We didn’t lose to crappy teams last year. That’s an improvement. Our recruiting is solid. We are gradually improving. If the rate isn’t fast enough for you that’s fine. That’s your opinion, but we have improved and that’s not even debatable. That is not an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Smith has a chance depending on where he goes obviously. He goes to Illinois, he has a good shot. He goes to Northwestern or Georgetown, he has zero shot at it.

Smith has a chance depending on where he goes obviously. He goes to Illinois, he has a good shot. He goes to Northwestern or Georgetown, he has zero shot at it.

Justin has a shot anywhere he goes including Indiana if he would have stayed here. He has to be the one to put in the work. He has all of the physical god given gifts he could want. There is nothing more that can be handed to him.

Justin has a shot anywhere he goes including Indiana if he would have stayed here. He has to be the one to put in the work. He has all of the physical god given gifts he could want. There is nothing more that can be handed to him.

I’m just saying those teams aren’t good. Illinois is a likely tourney team without him, especially if Cockburn returns. Northwestern is just terrible. Georgetown is going to be terrible.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:37 PM, mdn82 said:

So Justin doesn’t have a chance or had a chance to make the NCAA tournament at IU? That’s your opinion? We would have made it last year. That’s not opinion. That’s a fact. Same as we are coming into this season as a top 25 team. Those aren’t opinions. Those are easily backed up.

Archie Miller is a bad coach? That’s your opinion?
I can throw stats at you to show we have improved. Same as you can throw stats at me to show we haven’t. I disagree, but I can leave this one at opinion because there is no way for either to prove definitively.

As a team we haven’t improved? That’s your opinion? This again is proven false. We have won 16, 19, and 20 by year. With no chance to improve on the 20 because of an epidemic. You cherry picked B1G of all things to prove we aren’t improving. I will say again only a team to the West thinks conference standings mean more than they mean. I along with most other rational people look at an overall picture. We won 9, 8, and 9 the last three years in conference. What exactly does that matter? We didn’t lose to crappy teams last year. That’s an improvement. Our recruiting is solid. We are gradually improving. If the rate isn’t fast enough for you that’s fine. That’s your opinion, but we have improved and that’s not even debatable. That is not an opinion.

Opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: s

You cannot say as fact IU would have made tourney last year because they never selected teams..so to say they would have is just an opinion.

Purdue, Big Ten and NCAA......That is how I define success at IU.  I don't do moral victories.  We won 9 8 9 what does that mean?  It means we have finished 6th, 9th and 10th.....haven't beat Purdue in how long? and while I concede we would have made Tourney this last year, based on our inability to play on road IT IS MY OPINION we would have been 1 and done.  I don't consider this acceptable, nor do most "rational" IU fans.

I was never a Archie fan.  He basically took Brian Gregory's recruits to a deep run at Dayton and other than that he beat up the A-10, got bids and lost the first tourney game.  I was ready for a change from Crean, but, I thought we should have been patient and waited for a better hire.......all just my opinion.  We are getting the results I expected upon his hire.  Beating up the A-10 doesn't mean you are qualified for the Big Ten

Opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: s
You cannot say as fact IU would have made tourney last year because they never selected teams..so to say they would have is just an opinion.
Purdue, Big Ten and NCAA......That is how I define success at IU.  I don't do moral victories.  We won 9 8 9 what does that mean?  It means we have finished 6th, 9th and 10th.....haven't beat Purdue in how long? and while I concede we would have made Tourney this last year, based on our inability to play on road IT IS MY OPINION we would have been 1 and done.  I don't consider this acceptable, nor do most "rational" IU fans.
I was never a Archie fan.  He basically took Brian Gregory's recruits to a deep run at Dayton and other than that he beat up the A-10, got bids and lost the first tourney game.  I was ready for a change from Crean, but, I thought we should have been patient and waited for a better hire.......all just my opinion.  We are getting the results I expected upon his hire.  Beating up the A-10 doesn't mean you are qualified for the Big Ten
From 2011 to 2017 he was the head coach for the University of Dayton and won the conference regular season championship in 2016 and 2017. Miller was named the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year in 2017.

You are an idiot, but this is Archie's year to prove he can coach at IU. I believe he can.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Brumdog45 I think this will be the third straight year someone has said that.

----------------

That's not accurate. The consensus has always been that IU needs to make a jump forward when Archie has his own players. With the exception of Al Durham that time is now. 

6 hours ago, Honkyman said:

----------------

That's not accurate. The consensus has always been that IU needs to make a jump forward when Archie has his own players. With the exception of Al Durham that time is now. 

Brumdog is accurate..
Initially 75% of the posters were commenting Archie would at least make the tourney his first year while most of the rest said it would take the second. On the day he was hired you would have been ridiculed if you predicted “three years from now Archie will get us to 9-11, and tied for 10th, in the Big Ten”. Since year one the goal posts have been moved.
Things have progressed more slowly than many hoped/predicted but fortunately that is now past history and the state of the program (and the roster) definitely seems to be on the upswing and I think this upcoming year will be very good. 

Yes, all IU fans want the IU team to make the tourney every year. Few thought it would happen in his first year. Most thought it would with Romeo in the 2nd. And many doubted the team would this past year. Almost everyone agreed that Archie would need his players rather than Crean's players before we would know if he could bring IU back to true respectability.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:15 PM, finky said:

So weak to not include us in the tourney this year lol

Have fun on that mountain.  

18 hours ago, Honkyman said:

----------------

Very, very revisionist.  

I still can't get over the "I was never an Archie fan" line. 

BK in 6 years was 102-50, 67% winning percentage at Army and had ond losing season... if you take his beat record out he's 82-45, 64.5%.The year before BK took over Army was 21-8 and before that 19-7. 40-15 combined... 73%. 

Archie in 6 years was 139-63, 69% winning percentage at Dayton. Take out his best season he's 114-55, 67%. The two years prior for AM getting the job at Dayton they were 47-26 before he arrived 64%. 

Looking at all that.. if Bob Knight was qualified for the job, why wouldn't Archie Miller? Cinci is a fairly large hot spot for HS basketball, solid spot.. he has connections there and obviously Columbus, as well. Indy is given. Connections in Carolinas and Pennsylvania. Who should we have waited on? Im pretty sure Glass A. Did his HW B. Wanted someone younger 

Idk.. sorry, but I just think thats a silly statement. "I was never an Archie fan"... tf why? His teams at Dayton were effing tough... he took a team to the E8 that didn't start a guy over 6'6 lol HE TOOK DAYTON TO BACK TO BACK SWEET 16S. 

Furthermore.. stating those were Gregory's players is questionable at best. He was literally in his 3rd season and 4th season when they made their runs.. 13-14 of the 9 that played 6 of them were recruited by AM, the next year.. guess what? Every single player was an AM recruit (or transfer). 

Don't come on here telling us friggin Archie Miller road "Brian Gregory's success" to IU. That's absolutely asinine. I'm sure you don't truthfully grasp how hard it is to win a win or go home tournament. As great as some claim BK to be... he won it 3 times in 42 years. 3. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

The past five or six posts in this thread have some really fascinating information about Justin Smith. 

If you haven't yet -- go back and give 'em a read! 

Neither was yours :107:

Justin Smith's departure slightly lowers the floor for this team but significantly raises its ceiling. Wish him the best and glad he was here for three years, but not too heartbroken about it. I haven't been as confident and excited about an IU team since Yogi's senior year.