Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Our points per possession was 1.016 which was 112th in the nation. The year before it was 1.008 which was also 112th(which I found kinda funny). Archie’s first season we were 171st with 1.030 ppp. He needs to learn more than just one thing. He really needs to have an offensive mind of the bench. He is young so he can still learn if he wants to. But last year he kept just talking without any action. I see that as an issue. But with his ability to coach defense, he really just needs some basic offensive knowledge to succeed and he seems to not have that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Goal Post Moving GIF - GoalPost Moving GIFsGoal Post Moving GIF - GoalPost Moving GIFs

I find it funny people still “debate” him. You’d think for all the **** he gives Archie to go learn something on offense he’s learn something about logic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah I as much as anyone know better.

18 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I find it funny people still “debate” him. You’d think for all the **** he gives Archie to go learn something on offense he’s learn something about logic.

Nah, he just loves a pissin contest.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

So true!

I am disappointed in my me  :(

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

TJD didn’t get any better from high school? I’ve stayed out of this discussion because I know where this rabbit hole goes but to say TJD didn’t get any better from his senior year in high school is a very hot take. I watched that kid for 4 years in high school and he absolutely improved from his senior year in high school to his freshman year at IU. Footwork, finishing around the rim, rebounding and ft percentage and so on all improved tremendously since he got to iu. As far as smith. Some blame Archie, some blame smith, some blame both, some blame none it really doesn’t matter. He wanted to be used different and play a different position then what the coaches envisioned. That coach still let him play to the position he wanted for most of the year. He averaged the most minutes on the team as a junior and still left. If the player and his family doesn’t think he fits into the system even when he played the most minutes then there really isn’t anything to argue about. My opinion it was probably best for both sides to move on.

No the good stuff you just mentioned was all Bruiser!

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Rather than taking the time to look up each of these players year by year under Archie and cutting and pasting the clear evidence, I encourage you to read the objective statistical facts about each to see for yourself that each, without question, markedly improved under Archie.

For instance, in three years at IU Smith went from 0.2 Assists and 1.1 TO per game to .9 and 1.6. Crappy,  but waaay better. He went up in pretty much every per/40 category year by year. Same with Durham and the others I listed. In fact, Durham got better from Soph to junior year in pretty much every category.

He has a real hang up on Al Durham.

Al's gotten better every year and the stats show it.Must have ran over his dog or something.

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your back get tired from moving so many goalposts

He wanted to talk about the offense. Yet our offense hasn’t been good under Archie and he didn’t have any good offenses at Dayton. But I guess even Crean coached a good defense a couple times so maybe Archie will strike gold too. 

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He wanted to talk about the offense. Yet our offense hasn’t been good under Archie and he didn’t have any good offenses at Dayton. But I guess even Crean coached a good defense a couple times so maybe Archie will strike gold too. 

It’s funny you bring that up.  Adjusted defense Crean wasn’t top 100 in his last 6 years.  I believe I also saw a stat that was never once in top 190 in turnovers.  Yeah if Archie does that on the opposite side of the court I imagine he will be gone too.  So let’s recap.  The side where he has never shown to know anything he is top 70 this last season.  The side Crean was weakest at he couldn’t crack top 100 for years.  So, I guess gold will be fun...  

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It’s funny you bring that up.  Adjusted defense Crean wasn’t top 100 in his last 6 years.  I believe I also saw a stat that was never once in top 190 in turnovers.  Yeah if Archie does that on the opposite side of the court I imagine he will be gone too.  So let’s recap.  The side where he has never shown to know anything he is top 70 this last season.  The side Crean was weakest at he couldn’t crack top 100 for years.  So, I guess gold will be fun...  

Then that’s what we have to hope for right? Can Archie even get us at least 1 season 12-13 or even 15-16? We need to hope for that to happen. Personally I think we can win the Big Ten next season. But Archie can’t go back to doing what he did last season. We have game changers and guys with great potential in TJD, Hunter and Lander. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Then that’s what we have to hope for right? Can Archie even get us at least 1 season 12-13 or even 15-16? We need to hope for that to happen. Personally I think we can win the Big Ten next season. But Archie can’t go back to doing what he did last season. We have game changers and guys with great potential in TJD, Hunter and Lander. 

I wouldn't get too far ahead on Hunter.  We have seen zero game changing ability from him at this point.

I'm not sure there are any proven game changers on this IU team. TJD maybe. Certainly not Hunter or Lander who has yet to play a college game.

Lander is a 5 star recruit for a reason. He easily has the potential to be our best guard next season. This isn’t like when Yogi came on board(which he was very very good as a freshman) and we had Oladipo and Hulls. Hunter as game changing ability too and he showed flashes of that last season. With his ability to knock down 3’s, some crafty offense and his length on defense. He’s only going to get better and that’s what everyone here has wanted.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Lander is a 5 star recruit for a reason. He easily has the potential to be our best guard next season. This isn’t like when Yogi came on board(which he was very very good as a freshman) and we had Oladipo and Hulls. Hunter as game changing ability too and he showed flashes of that last season. With his ability to knock down 3’s, some crafty offense and his length on defense. He’s only going to get better and that’s what everyone here has wanted.

Considering that you don't think Durham has gotten better, I'll let someone else define whether Hunter gets better.

Yogi was a 5-star McDonald's All American. He was good as a freshman, the starting point guard on a team that was ranked #1 for part of the season. But he wasn't a "game changer" until later in his college career. The last IU player who was truly a "game changer" as a freshman was Cody Zeller. Romeo wasn't even a game changer as a freshman though he was good. Romeo's best game at IU was against Maryland when he scored 28 points. IU lost that game. Being a "game changer" is more than being good. It means the ability at least at times to control a game or to influence the play sufficiently that the team wins. Lander is obviously talented but he is skipping a year of high school. Nobody has any idea how he will transition to college. Hunter isn't even close to being a game changer. 

Considering that you don't think Durham has gotten better, I'll let someone else define whether Hunter gets better.

Because Durham was the exact same player this past season as he was his Sophomore year. Sure his numbers got better, but he didn’t change any. He’s still an inconsistent offensive player, inconsistent aggressive offensive player, inconsistent leader, reportedly an attitude problem along with Smith and a bad decision maker. He made a couple big plays in the clutch, but made stupid ones too. He feasted on the little guys at the beginning of the season(averaged 13.7 points, shot 42.3% from 3 and 90.1% from FT in the first 7 games). He was Al’s problem after those 1st 7 games, he scored 5 against FSU, 5 against ND, 2 against Arky, 5 against Maryland, 3 against OSU, 4 against Maryland, 5 against PSU, 5 against Purdue, 6 against Iowa and 2 against Purdue. Now we won some of those games, but he didn’t show up when we needed him. We were lucky enough Green went off against FSU. But was held to 5 or less in 9 games. Smith was held to the same in 5 games but we went 4-1 in those while going 4-6(also only scored 5 against SDSU). We had veteran guard with the consistency of a freshman.

Durham's strength is that he plays hard. He has also hit some clutch shots and free throws. But if Franklin finds shooting consistency or Leal transitions well, Durham could find himself losing playing time.