Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

I think its telling the only current player I saw wishing Justin good luck was Al.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

I’ll have the same feeling for Durham leaving as I do Smith. Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier. But it’ll probably make us better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So if if TJD and Brunk are in the game. Brunk is posting up. TJD is setting a screen and rolling to the rim and Brunk is still posting up. Phinisee is driving towards Brunk. Justin Smith is supposed to do what?

But Justin Smith didn't get any better toward the end of the year when Brunk wasn't playing much.

In the last 9 games of the year, Brunk averaged under 13 minutes per game.  Smith had 30 minutes per game and averaged 8.2 points and 4 1/2 rebounds.  

What I saw from Smith was an increasingly disinterested player.  In his last 14 games, he never scored more than 13 points and only scored double digits four times.  So what is he supposed to do?  I'd go with show effort.  I'd go with not tell team mates to "**** off" when they tell him to go up stronger.

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I just struggle to understand why many blame Smith for not being able to shoot but don’t blame TJD and Brunk for not being able to shoot and Archie for putting those guys on the floor together

I can take this one:  because TJD and Brunk were playing their accepted roles.  Smith wanted to be a wing, but I so zero evidence that he ever actually took the time to do the things that would have made him a successful wing.

You can blame Archie for putting them on the floor together, but notice at the end of the year when they weren't on the floor together much, Smith's offense took a nose dive anyway.

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He can be useful as a 3 but it depends who the 4 and 5 are. But you’re trying to blame Smith, who was easily our 2nd best player for things he can’t control. He had to stand out on the 3 point line and just stand there. There wasn’t any room to slash. Archie hurt him. It’s up to the coach to put players in a position to succeed. Archie did the exact opposite. Yet he was still our 2nd best player. Maybe you should be questioning Archie more and be wondering how much better Smith could have been had Archie played to his strengths.

Are you saying that his inability to shoot was beyond his control?  

5 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

I bet this is the first time Justin Smith has ever been referred to as a slasher. He does not have even an ounce the requisite suddenness and his shot dictates that he is a 10 ft and in player. There isn't such a thing as a slow twitch, no outside threat slasher. If he has any chance at low level professional basketball it will be as a big 3 or small 4. As far as the defense, he has skills, but he has to show a desire to play it more than 1/2 the time.

My problem is that he could be a slasher if he could just finish at the rim more.  I got tired of the missed layups.

I can take this one: 
You can blame Archie for putting them on the floor together, but notice at the end of the year when they weren't on the floor together much, Smith's offense took a nose dive anyway.

Did you notice at the end of the year when Brunks minutes were down and Smiths were up we had a winning record in conference?

Regardless of his ability to be a difference maker, IU just lost depth and a bigger body in practice.  He is looking for someone who will use him differently and that is fine.  Best wishes to a good kid and true student athlete.  IU type of young man.

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Did you notice at the end of the year when Brunks minutes were down and Smiths were up we had a winning record in conference?

I may be wrong, but I think Smith's minutes stayed the same throughout the season. Brunk lost minutes to Thompson and Hunter, not Smith.

7 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Brunk’s minutes started going down starting with the Iowa game.  In those last eight 8 regular season games, we were 4-4.  In that string, the one game where Brunk didn’t play limited minutes was the Minnesota game at IU, which we won.  So in the games where Brunk was playing limited time, we were 3-4.  More importantly to the conversation, when Brunk was on the court less, Smith’s offensive contributions actually dropped even further.  

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I may be wrong, but I think Smith's minutes stayed the same throughout the season. Brunk lost minutes to Thompson and Hunter, not Smith.

They did.  And regardless of combination, Smith didn’t thrive offensively in conference play regardless of combo.

But Justin Smith didn't get any better toward the end of the year when Brunk wasn't playing much.
In the last 9 games of the year, Brunk averaged under 13 minutes per game.  Smith had 30 minutes per game and averaged 8.2 points and 4 1/2 rebounds.  
What I saw from Smith was an increasingly disinterested player.  In his last 14 games, he never scored more than 13 points and only scored double digits four times.  So what is he supposed to do?  I'd go with show effort.  I'd go with not tell team mates to "**** off" when they tell him to go up stronger.

You’re joking on the, “**** off,” thing right? Because Smith didn’t say it with any malicious intent. Just teammates messing with each other.

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You’re really not understanding the problem. Archie’s offense always had 2-3 people in the lane. Smith has nowhere to go.

The problem is, the kid didn't get better.  He and his father wanted Justin to play the 3. Obviously didn't put in the time and effort to become an offensive asset.

The problem is, the kid didn't get better.  He and his father wanted Justin to play the 3. Obviously didn't put in the time and effort to become an offensive asset.

And part of that comes in on Archie. 1. No one has really developed any under him. 2. Putting your foot down and saying we’re doing this for the team to win. Smith works as a 3 if he buys into being what he does best. Slashing and defending.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And part of that comes in on Archie. 1. No one has really developed any under him. 2. Putting your foot down and saying we’re doing this for the team to win. Smith works as a 3 if he buys into being what he does best. Slashing and defending.

Yeah, no one has developed under Archie other than Morgan, Thompson, Durham, TJD, McSwain, and Smith. 
RoJo and Hartman were the same, so that’s on CAM.

42 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Your first point is a ridiculous statement and pretty much invalidates everything else you say. It’s obvious you have a bone to pick with Archie that clouds your judgment here.

15 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Slashers do tend to shoot near the rim. They aren’t slashing for 3’s.

He doesn't have the handle to slash off the dribble, he doesn't play with the energy of Reggie Miller to create opportunities on his own, he doesn't possess an outside shot that requires defensive overplay. If you are referring to him being the high flying recipient of alley oops or dunker of drive and dish no look passes, sure he has that game. He is a classic forward tweener. An athletic but small 4 that doesn't have the shot to be a stretch 4 or a big 3 without the suddenness or ball skills to consistently create his own shot and again no outside game. He has nice form on his shot is just isn't there, I know not if it is from lack of ability or lack of effort but lack of an outside threat held him back much more than anything CAM has done.

He is a nice college player and IU will be lesser without him, but unfortunately for him and IU fans, his career at IU never reached it's potential.

He doesn't have the handle to slash off the dribble, he doesn't play with the energy of Reggie Miller to create opportunities on his own, he doesn't possess an outside shot that requires defensive overplay. If you are referring to him being the high flying recipient of alley oops or dunker of drive and dish no look passes, sure he has that game. He is a classic forward tweener. An athletic but small 4 that doesn't have the shot to be a stretch 4 or a big 3 without the suddenness or ball skills to consistently create his own shot and again no outside game. He has nice form on his shot is just isn't there, I know not if it is from lack of ability or lack of effort but lack of an outside threat held him back much more than anything CAM has done.
He is a nice college player and IU will be lesser without him, but unfortunately for him and IU fans, his career at IU never reached it's potential.

What does Reggie Miller have to do with being a slashing 3/4? And slashing literally nothing to do with dribbling. Basically what Troy Williams did on offense half the time(backcuts, finding lanes and space as guards drove into the lane). That’s what Smiths role is. That’s why Crean recruited him.