Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

Unfortunately, Smith didn’t have enough handles to be an effective slasher or create his own shot. 

You’re not out creating your own shot as a slasher. You’re reacting to space given and going off screens, backcuts, back doors and the like. He didn’t have that space in Archie’s offense. There was no space in the paint because there were always 2 others standing down there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You’re not out creating your own shot as a slasher. You’re reacting to space given and going off screens, backcuts, back doors and the like. He didn’t have that space in Archie’s offense. There was no space in the paint because there were always 2 others standing down there.

There were not two players on separate blocks during games. There is always one setting picks with one on the block. The person setting the pick (if no other big) typically rolled toward the rim. If there were two bigs the picker usually popped. He can’t hit that shot. That creates an issue within the offense. Your issue you have always illustrated and seemed to have taken it to it happens every play, is the illustration that showed the single big on the wrong block, effectively blocking the driving lane. That isn’t “two others standing down there”.

People have asked how to use him:

He needs to play with a 4 or 5 or both that can step out and hit 3s or long jumpers that open the lane for him to take his man/slash, pick and role and for guards to be able to have a driving lane to throw lobs.

Our stagnant, clogged offense was THE worst scenario for him. I’m not sure if he will find a system last minute that fits but IU was not it.

I love IU and that we are trending up but I am also honest in that all of Justin Smiths troubles were not all his fault, the system or lack there of was not a fit. I say say lack there of as we are 3 years into this offense and I don’t know what we are doing or what in a perfect world it should look like. That’s also a big problem

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There were not two players on separate blocks during games. There is always one setting picks with one on the block. The person setting the pick (if no other big) typically rolled toward the rim. If there were two bigs the picker usually popped. He can’t hit that shot. That creates an issue within the offense. Your issue you have always illustrated and seemed to have taken it to it happens every play, is the illustration that showed the single big on the wrong block, effectively blocking the driving lane. That isn’t “two others standing down there”.

So if if TJD and Brunk are in the game. Brunk is posting up. TJD is setting a screen and rolling to the rim and Brunk is still posting up. Phinisee is driving towards Brunk. Justin Smith is supposed to do what?

So if if TJD and Brunk are in the game. Brunk is posting up. TJD is setting a screen and rolling to the rim and Brunk is still posting up. Phinisee is driving towards Brunk. Justin Smith is supposed to do what?

Not be in the game cause he can’t shoot? So most likely stand in the corner because it’s a horrible lineup with him not being a 3? I don’t care what your offensive system is, if you have 3 guys in a game that can’t shoot outside of 10 feet there is no system that can save you.

Not be in the game cause he can’t shoot? So most likely stand in the corner because it’s a horrible lineup with him not being a 3? I don’t care what your offensive system is, if you have 3 guys in a game that can’t shoot outside of 10 feet there is no system that can save you.

Dodging the questions see. And whose decision was it to put Brunk, TJD and Smith into the game together?

Dodging the questions see. And whose decision was it to put Brunk, TJD and Smith into the game together?

What question am I dodging? I explicitly said it’s a horrible lineup to have 3 people in the game the same time that can’t shoot. I told you that last year when you wanted him out on the perimeter and argued with every single person he was a wing. My stance has never changed with Smith. He is not a useful 3. As a 4 he has a lot of value. He will never be a primary option in an offense. What exactly am I dodging when I have said the same exact thing the last two off seasons?

What question am I dodging? I explicitly said it’s a horrible lineup to have 3 people in the game the same time that can’t shoot. I told you that last year when you wanted him out on the perimeter and argued with every single person he was a wing. My stance has never changed with Smith. He is not a useful 3. As a 4 he has a lot of value. He will never be a primary option in an offense. What exactly am I dodging when I have said the same exact thing the last two off seasons?

You are spot on in much of this, those 3 should never have been out on the floor together but I hate to say I agree with the sandwich but Archie was the one that put that team and lineup out there.

That’s not on Justin. He can be a good 3 for a team, that team just needs balance, the same way IU needed it and didn’t have it.

I just struggle to understand why many blame Smith for not being able to shoot but don’t blame TJD and Brunk for not being able to shoot and Archie for putting those guys on the floor together

He can be useful as a 3 but it depends who the 4 and 5 are. But you’re trying to blame Smith, who was easily our 2nd best player for things he can’t control. He had to stand out on the 3 point line and just stand there. There wasn’t any room to slash. Archie hurt him. It’s up to the coach to put players in a position to succeed. Archie did the exact opposite. Yet he was still our 2nd best player. Maybe you should be questioning Archie more and be wondering how much better Smith could have been had Archie played to his strengths.

He can be useful as a 3 but it depends who the 4 and 5 are. But you’re trying to blame Smith, who was easily our 2nd best player for things he can’t control. He had to stand out on the 3 point line and just stand there. There wasn’t any room to slash. Archie hurt him. It’s up to the coach to put players in a position to succeed. Archie did the exact opposite. Yet he was still our 2nd best player. Maybe you should be questioning Archie more and be wondering how much better Smith could have been had Archie played to his strengths.

Yes, it is always a smart move to create opportunities for a guy that can’t shoot and gets small going to the rim. You do you on your hypothesis of the game. Me? I would keep him as a 4 and his offense would still be diving to the rim when a guard gets in the lane, or putbacks. So I guess I would be a jackass too not having him on the perimeter like you have wanted.

You are spot on in much of this, those 3 should never have been out on the floor together but I hate to say I agree with the sandwich but Archie was the one that put that team and lineup out there.

That’s not on Justin. He can be a good 3 for a team, that team just needs balance, the same way IU needed it and didn’t have it.

I just struggle to understand why many blame Smith for not being able to shoot but don’t blame TJD and Brunk for not being able to shoot and Archie for putting those guys on the floor together

I am uncertain who notices what I say, so if I am repeating I apologize. For 3 years I have wanted 2-3 knockdown shooters. Not necessarily in the game at the same time but 2 to space the floor even more. Every defense we face packs the lane. That’s my biggest beef. Brunk allows TJD to play the 4. TJD at the 4 can create his own offense and plays big. Justin can’t do that. If I am between a scenario that has Justin at the 4 and TJD at the 5 or TJD at the 4 and Brunk at the 5 I am taking Brunk. We lose out on defense but we are better offensively while keeping TJD out of foul trouble. It’s not explicitly I am blaming Justin for anything and not Archie. It starts at who he has not recruited as much as it is Justin’s desire to be something he has not. It doesn’t have to be an either or. Both can be blamed. From my understanding he was explicitly told he wasn’t playing the 3 and his minutes would be cut. That’s what it should be at this point. He would be a great defender off of the bench. Good rebounder. His points mostly were on putbacks or getting to the rim/line. I am indifferent on him leaving because I feel we can overcome him leaving and he gets put in a position he prefers. I guess I don’t see the problem with that?

Yes, it is always a smart move to create opportunities for a guy that can’t shoot and gets small going to the rim. You do you on your hypothesis of the game. Me? I would keep him as a 4 and his offense would still be diving to the rim when a guard gets in the lane, or putbacks. So I guess I would be a jackass too not having him on the perimeter like you have wanted.

So 4’s can’t play from the perimeter now? Since when? So Troy Williams was what his freshman year? What was Oladipo his Freshman and Sophomore year? Since you have to be able to shoot to be a wing now. Smooth is a wing. He’s a not a post player. His best fit is indeed diving to the rim(which was impossible in Archie’s offense) and doing that from the perimeter. Along with being a great wing defender.

I am uncertain who notices what I say, so if I am repeating I apologize. For 3 years I have wanted 2-3 knockdown shooters. Not necessarily in the game at the same time but 2 to space the floor even more. Every defense we face packs the lane. That’s my biggest beef. Brunk allows TJD to play the 4. TJD at the 4 can create his own offense and plays big. Justin can’t do that. If I am between a scenario that has Justin at the 4 and TJD at the 5 or TJD at the 4 and Brunk at the 5 I am taking Brunk. We lose out on defense but we are better offensively while keeping TJD out of foul trouble. It’s not explicitly I am blaming Justin for anything and not Archie. It starts at who he has not recruited as much as it is Justin’s desire to be something he has not. It doesn’t have to be an either or. Both can be blamed. From my understanding he was explicitly told he wasn’t playing the 3 and his minutes would be cut. That’s what it should be at this point. He would be a great defender off of the bench. Good rebounder. His points mostly were on putbacks or getting to the rim/line. I am indifferent on him leaving because I feel we can overcome him leaving and he gets put in a position he prefers. I guess I don’t see the problem with that?

The problem is you want to blame him even though he was consistently put into a position to fail and still turned out being our 2nd best player. Yet don’t want to blame anyone else. All season it was stick up for Durham and Brunk for their shortcomings but throw Smith and Green under the bus.

The problem is you want to blame him even though he was consistently put into a position to fail and still turned out being our 2nd best player. Yet don’t want to blame anyone else. All season it was stick up for Durham and Brunk for their shortcomings but throw Smith and Green under the bus.

You take me not putting 100% blame as I am not blaming him at all. You can’t even give me that when you quote me saying where he went wrong. I am so sick and tired of the hot takes of extremism. It doesn’t organically develop good conversation. Not everything needs to be balls to the wall one side is explicitly right and the other side is explicitly wrong. So by me blaming everyone for this situation while being empathetic to both sides wanting a change does not mean I am deflecting blame or only blaming one person. Open your damn eyes and read what I said and quit trying to make this into something it is not just to argue. There is quite frankly no reason to. Both sides are happy and I am too.

You are the one bitching about changing the offense to fit Justin’s game better. If thats how you feel then cool. I sure as hell wouldn’t. Especially if my livelihood is depending on it. I would have also recruited knock down down shooters. If we had that Justin transfers two years ago and again I wouldn’t blame him. You have this weird thing with calling him our second best player repeatedly as if that means much of anything. Cool if that’s how you feel. I have no ambitions trying to argue something you are dying to argue or you wouldn’t have brought it up multiple times. I won’t miss him on this team and I hope him the best. I would miss many other players a lot more than him. You may not. Cool. I don’t really care how you feel on him and I made that pretty clear last year. I am here to support my college in a way we are best suited to win. Sorry that doesn’t involve your 2nd best player. By the way guys he was the 2nd best player. I just feel the uproar of a board recognizing we lost our 2nd best player.

You take me not putting 100% blame as I am not blaming him at all. You can’t even give me that when you quote me saying where he went wrong. I am so sick and tired of the hot takes of extremism. It doesn’t organically develop good conversation. Not everything needs to be balls to the wall one side is explicitly right and the other side is explicitly wrong. So by me blaming everyone for this situation while being empathetic to both sides wanting a change does not mean I am deflecting blame or only blaming one person. Open your damn eyes and read what I said and quit trying to make this into something it is not just to argue. There is quite frankly no reason to. Both sides are happy and I am too.

You are the one bitching about changing the offense to fit Justin’s game better. If thats how you feel then cool. I sure as hell wouldn’t. Especially if my livelihood is depending on it. I would have also recruited knock down down shooters. If we had that Justin transfers two years ago and again I wouldn’t blame him. You have this weird thing with calling him our second best player repeatedly as if that means much of anything. Cool if that’s how you feel. I have no ambitions trying to argue something you are dying to argue or you wouldn’t have brought it up multiple times. I won’t miss him on this team and I hope him the best. I would miss many other players a lot more than him. You may not. Cool. I don’t really care how you feel on him and I made that pretty clear last year. I am here to support my college in a way we are best suited to win. Sorry that doesn’t involve your 2nd best player. By the way guys he was the 2nd best player. I just feel the uproar of a board recognizing we lost our 2nd best player.

I’m fine with him leaving. I’m excited to see Hunter and Thompson playing more of the 4 and Brunk being on the bench more(hopefully). But blaming a player because a coach refused to put him in any position to succeed is ridiculous. That’s Archie’s job. That’s how coaches win games. Archie screwed that kid last season.

8 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

As a slasher and defender that plays the passing lanes. Archie used him as just a dude standing around.

I bet this is the first time Justin Smith has ever been referred to as a slasher. He does not have even an ounce the requisite suddenness and his shot dictates that he is a 10 ft and in player. There isn't such a thing as a slow twitch, no outside threat slasher. If he has any chance at low level professional basketball it will be as a big 3 or small 4. As far as the defense, he has skills, but he has to show a desire to play it more than 1/2 the time.

I bet this is the first time Justin Smith has ever been referred to as a slasher. He does not have even an ounce the requisite suddenness and his shot dictates that he is a 10 ft and in player. There isn't such a thing as a slow twitch, no outside threat slasher. If he has any chance at low level professional basketball it will be as a big 3 or small 4. As far as the defense, he has skills, but he has to show a desire to play it more than 1/2 the time.

Slashers do tend to shoot near the rim. They aren’t slashing for 3’s.

Bottom line is the kid never improved his offensive game. That's on him. Played disinterested alot of the time. Has the the size and athletic ability to be a three,  but shooting,  ball handling,  and ability to distribute never improved. Lack of shooters is on Archie! Wish Justin well, but looking forward to Jerome and Race eating up those minutes.