Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

No real downside for him, see what they have to say.  No chance of making it right now, inconsistent effort and can't shoot.

Kind of doubt we'll ever see more than flashes.  Even if he just ends up over seas, there are worse things that that.

Kid is super smart. No way you can’t be impressed with his school work ethic. Anyone that gets him will absolutely love his student side. I think someone out will be able to utilize him better than we did on the court as well and I hope he succeeds wherever that may be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He played well at times. He learned to not try to do too much. he defended well, and he improved.

I’m not at all convinced he was a positive addition to the team culture. A squared away young man and obviously a very intelligent  young man, but way too much eye-rolling for my taste.

It’s all good.

Awesome young man who will likely be a success in business or law whenever he hangs up the sneakers.

Have that Kelley degree on top of being a good looking engaging former D1 athlete on the biggest stage will serve him well.

9 hours ago, pappy1865 said:

Long time no post! I think the telling sign was in Archie's release, he said "I'm proud of his growth as a person, he's a great young man and has been a terrific role model off the court and in the classroom." Not thanking him for his contributions to the basketball team.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah this is pretty icy exchange. No mention by Miller of Smith's basketball contributions and not a mention of Miller at all as Smith thanks fans, friends, teammates the program, and the Kelley S of B. Even if he misspells Kelley after spending 3 yrs there.

“Justin Smith and I had a conversation recently where we discussed his future and the feedback from the NBA,” IU coach Archie Miller said in a statement. “In that discussion, he made the decision to graduate and transfer for his final season of eligibility.

“I support his decision and wish Justin and his family all the best in this next chapter. I’m proud of his growth as a person. He’s a great young man and has been a terrific role model off the court and in the classroom. He obtained his degree in three years from IU’s Kelley School of Business and we thank him for all of his contributions to Indiana University and our program.”

“After much thought, prayer and discussion with people I trust, I have decided to enter the transfer portal as a graduate transfer,” Smith posted on Twitter Friday afternoon. “I want to thank Indiana University, the IU Mens Basketball program and the awesome fans of Indiana for three amazing years in pinstripes.

“To my teammate, you are my brothers. I wish you nothing but the best on the bright path to complete our unfulfilled 2020 NCAA tournament dreams.

“The Hoosier Experience, the Kelly Business School degree, and the friends I’ve made in Bloomington in and outside of the basketball program will be forever treasured.”

Edited by iu eyedoc

Just my hot take and from what someone had said earlier....Justin wanted to play the 2 (LOL) and Archie wanted him to play the 4, so the 3 he played last year was kind of a compromise.  Justin had some leverage because of our lack of depth.  Entering this year, IMO we have enough other options at the 3 and a year seeing how a Smith/TJD/Brunk or Smith/Thompson/TJD trio simply clogs this that Miller needed to have Smith play the 4 if he was help the team the most.  I don't think Smith wanted to do so nor do I think that Archie was willing to give him any guarantees about playing other than the 4....

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-justin-smith-20-teams-interested-transfer

Lots of teams have reached out to Justin.  Four big ten teams:  Purdue (ugh), Illinois, Northwestern, and Maryland.  He actually looks kind of like a fit with Purdue with Eastern's departure....could immediately fill in for what Eastern did as he was a guy that didn't really play a set position and was tasked with guarding the other team's best athlete.

I could see Justin going to Notre Dame, Illinois or Purdue if he wants to stay near home and play for a decent coach. There's room on Maryland but the coaching is terrible. Xavier might be a good fit. If he goes to Nevada he could play for Steve Alford. He's not going to Georgetown. Patrick Ewing just tested positive for COVID-19 and the team is a mess as four players transferred out of the program this year. 

16 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I could see Justin going to Notre Dame, Illinois or Purdue if he wants to stay near home and play for a decent coach. There's room on Maryland but the coaching is terrible. Xavier might be a good fit. If he goes to Nevada he could play for Steve Alford. He's not going to Georgetown. Patrick Ewing just tested positive for COVID-19 and the team is a mess as four players transferred out of the program this year. 

Georgetown would make a lot of sense to me. Lots of room to establish his offensive game, and a truly fantastic University with big-time post Graduate connections.