Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) - PF Mason Miller to Creighton

We are past the point of having to win on the court in order to win some of these recruiting battles. Most top high school players want to go to a college with a dynamic offense and IU's offense under Archie has been anything but dynamic. So Indiana has to do better than place 7th or 8th in the conference and they have to do it with an offense that attracts the top high school players.

16 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

This awesome 2021 class was supposed to be our year. It may turn into poop.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think it already did when people are this upset over a hovering 60th ranked player choosing Creighton over us.

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I disagree...that was Tom Crean's method and it led to wildly divergent results.

I think we should be "all-in" on a relatively small number of recruits that truly fit the profile, both athletically and culturally, of who we want.

Then, if we strike out on too many and need to fill in, we should go all-in on select transfers, de-commits, or late very high risers (ie Geronimo). We do not want to buckshot ten offers in hopes that one will say yes--it might be the tenth best of that group that is the first yes.

The good news? I hope and think that the preferred style of recruiting is exactly what Archie has been doing.

I was exaggerating, but clearly 2 is not enough if we have a need. Heck, maybe we did have other options and they rejected us too.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think it already did when people are this upset over a hovering 60th ranked player choosing Creighton over us.

Hey--I think I get it--people who are the most engaged tend to post on message boards. Often those posters are doing so because they want to vent. And venting can be (unreasonably?) harsh. A comparable? Look at Google reviews: they tend to be posted by aggrieved customers who are fully engaged (or by relatives of the store owner lol). 

So, when recruiting is high-star power fueled, we look for something else to vent about and dissect. When we don't have high-star powered recruiting, we gripe about it, even if this year's results are likely to be quite good.

This board is remarkably well-informed and sane. Want a contrast? I read the Ohio State football board after their win against the #9 team in America (hard to believe...that is IUFB:)!) It was a gripe fest about so many, many things they identified about their current team and Coach Day. That griping is by the fanbase of the #3, undefeated, current undisputed king of B1G football!

What say this Wednesday we start a major success of a winning season, featuring lots of young talent that is gonna stay for awhile and establish a winning culture with players the fan base is proud to root for. That'll do the job for me.

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey--I think I get it--people who are the most engaged tend to post on message boards. Often those posters are doing so because they want to vent. And venting can be (unreasonably?) harsh. A comparable? Look at Google reviews: they tend to be posted by aggrieved customers who are fully engaged (or by relatives of the store owner lol). 

So, when recruiting is high-star power fueled, we look for something else to vent about and dissect. When we don't have high-star powered recruiting, we gripe about it, even if this year's results are likely to be quite good.

This board is remarkably well-informed and sane. Want a contrast? I read the Ohio State football board after their win against the #9 team in America (hard to believe...that is IUFB:)!) It was a gripe fest about so many, many things they identified about their current team and Coach Day. That griping is by the fanbase of the #3, undefeated, current undisputed king of B1G football!

What say this Wednesday we start a major success of a winning season, featuring lots of young talent that is gonna stay for awhile and establish a winning culture with players the fan base is proud to root for. That'll do the job for me.

Don’t disagree, but I go back to when we were number 1.  We were just as bad if not worse, and people justified the way they acted throughout the season by how we played down the stretch.  I think many posters go overboard by trying to determine the absolute worst so they won’t be disappointed.  Only to be disappointed because no matter what they say, their true expectations were really far different than what they say.  I think OSU football and IU basketball are actually pretty close comparisons.  That is probably a truer representation of the mentality of IU basketball fans than we would want to feel.  Imo

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Don’t disagree, but I go back to when we were number 1.  We were just as bad and not worse, and people justified the way they acted throughout the season by how we played down the stretch.  I think many posters go overboard by trying to determine the absolute worst so they won’t be disappointed.  Only to be disappointed because no matter what they say, their true expectations were really far different than what they say.  I think OSU football and IU basketball are actually pretty close comparisons.  That is probably a truer representation of the mentality of IU basketball fans than we would want to feel.  Imo

Heck...I saw griping about IU football's offense in the second half of the 24-0 shutout over MSU!

People are funny.

The Mason Miller recruitment reminded me of Dawson Garcia.  The staff clearly did some things right to get to the top two and built a good rapport with the kid, but there was one Big East program that was there a little bit sooner and offered a little bit more in terms of offensive fit.  That seemed to be the difference in both cases.

I will agree with anyone who feels the 2021 class hasn’t quite been what we hoped for and maybe envisioned, but I would also say that I really like the group we have for this season and I only really see one unfilled need into the 2021-22 season, that being a PF to take over for TJD or at least provide some depth in the frontcourt.  As disappointing as it is that there were multiple missed opportunities to address that need with this class and with some in-state kids to boot, we have Race and Jerome to take minutes at that spot in 2021 and we are also in early with some 2022 kids that strike me as 4’s who actually want to play the 4.  That will be an easier sell for our staff versus pitching that spot to a kid that wants to do something different at the next level.

That’s my best effort to stay positive despite the recruiting misses.  Either way, we will have to do better with the 2022 class.

1 hour ago, craigyv88 said:

The Mason Miller recruitment reminded me of Dawson Garcia.  The staff clearly did some things right to get to the top two and built a good rapport with the kid, but there was one Big East program that was there a little bit sooner and offered a little bit more in terms of offensive fit.  That seemed to be the difference in both cases.

I will agree with anyone who feels the 2021 class hasn’t quite been what we hoped for and maybe envisioned, but I would also say that I really like the group we have for this season and I only really see one unfilled need into the 2021-22 season, that being a PF to take over for TJD or at least provide some depth in the frontcourt.  As disappointing as it is that there were multiple missed opportunities to address that need with this class and with some in-state kids to boot, we have Race and Jerome to take minutes at that spot in 2021 and we are also in early with some 2022 kids that strike me as 4’s who actually want to play the 4.  That will be an easier sell for our staff versus pitching that spot to a kid that wants to do something different at the next level.

That’s my best effort to stay positive despite the recruiting misses.  Either way, we will have to do better with the 2022 class.

For sure.  He has to do better next class even if he lands Aminu.  We just aren’t built that way to have one player be expected to carry a class beyond one year.  I think it’s safe to say this will be our class where transfers will have to be a part of.  Imo, this class is a loss.  

7 hours ago, Honkyman said:

We are past the point of having to win on the court in order to win some of these recruiting battles. Most top high school players want to go to a college with a dynamic offense and IU's offense under Archie has been anything but dynamic. So Indiana has to do better than place 7th or 8th in the conference and they have to do it with an offense that attracts the top high school players.

I think you are correct in this instance with Miller and probably last year with Dawson Garcia.

However, there are successful programs that aren't dynamic offensively at all (Virginia and Wisconsin come immediately to mind) and they seem to land the players they want. 

I am not arguing you are completely wrong, only pointing out that "exciting offense" isn't the only factor. 

Not just ONE top 60 recruit, but most of them we were supposed to be in good shape to get. Kaufman stings more, it’s just not the class it was supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Not just ONE top 60 recruit, but most of them we were supposed to be in good shape to get. Kaufman stings more, it’s just not the class it was supposed to be.

No doubt. if Kaufman hadn't made such a horrible mistake and picked PeeEww then no one would have noticed Miller going to Creighton 

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

No doubt. if Kaufman hadn't made such a horrible mistake and picked PeeEww then no one would have noticed Miller going to Creighton 

Truth.  difference of 1 recruit.  If our class was Kaufman, Mohammad, Duncomb people would be jumping over the moon.  Kaufman was the recruit that fit the position of need most.  

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Truth.  difference of 1 recruit.  If our class was Kaufman, Mohammad, Duncomb people would be jumping over the moon.  Kaufman was the recruit that fit the position of need most.  

This.  Archie hasn't showed that he can overcome good recruiting classes to win at the level he is being paid, let alone bad ones.  He'll need to patch something together for 2021 quick, fast, and in a hurry.  (most likely) Losing three of your more dependable players after this season and replacing them with one solid recruit in a position of need while not addressing the other major position of need is digging an even bigger hole.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

This.  Archie hasn't showed that he can overcome good recruiting classes to win at the level he is being paid, let alone bad ones.  He'll need to patch something together for 2021 quick, fast, and in a hurry.  (most likely) Losing three of your more dependable players after this season and replacing them with one solid recruit in a position of need while not addressing the other major position of need is digging an even bigger hole.

Luckily not guaranteed to be losing any of them. TJD gone but everybody else could be convinced likely 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Luckily not guaranteed to be losing any of them. TJD gone but everybody else could be convinced likely 

I'm not sure what any of them are thinking.  Durham going won't have as big of an impact as TJD or Brunk leaving.  I'm not sure if it would be likely to convince Brunk to return for his 6th year of college at the age of 24.  He might want to move on with his life either playing professionally overseas or getting a start on his professional life after basketball. 

5 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Oh for sure.  I was just saying when any 60th ranked player gets this kind of a reaction you know it was a bad recruiting year.