Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) - PF Mason Miller to Creighton

We need to win basketball games. Lots of them. 

In my opinion, Mason Miller would not have been a primary contributor toward that goal during his freshman year. His junior and senior year? Much more likely.

We don't need to get Mason Miller, we need to have enough talent, and not just role players, to be a perennially strong team; a contender in the B1G and with national championship thoughts when things break correctly.

So, back to my (favorite?) adage: It's not who you don't get, it's who you get.

We need to "get" enough to win big, whether it's Miller, Kaufman , Muhammed, a transfer,  a decommit, a reclass, and through development of Geronimo, Hunter, Galloway, Leal, and Franklin.

Do we have enough talent to win big this year? You betcha; one of the top ten bigs in the country, a five star pg, and lots of effective role players. That's the special sauce if you ask me.

Going forward? I don't give a rat's @$$ how we get a similarly strong roster, but I do want to see that consistently happen. Getting or not getting Mason Miller doesn't matter at all if we get that strong roster some other way. Getting him (or Muhammed) would start that process though.

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In my opinion, Mason Miller would not have been a primary contributor toward that goal during his freshman year. His junior and senior year? Much more likely.

We don't need to get Mason Miller, we need to have enough talent, and not just role players, to be a perennially strong team; a contender in the B1G and with national championship thoughts when things break correctly.

We need to "get" enough to win big, whether it's Miller, Kaufman , Muhammed, a transfer,  a decommit, a reclass, and through development of Geronimo, Hunter, Galloway, Leal, and Franklin.

Do we have enough talent to win big this year? You betcha; one of the top ten bigs in the country, a five star pg, and lots of effective role players. That's the special sauce if you ask me.

Going forward? I don't give a rat's @$$ how we get a similarly strong roster, but I do want to see that consistently happen. Getting or not getting Mason Miller doesn't matter at all if we get that strong roster some other way. Getting him (or Muhammed) would start that process though.

I basically agree with this. I don't care if IU wins with a troop of circus freaks, as long as they win! 

I think the emphasis on Miller is due to him being in a position of need and one of the last options in the class that we know of.   

Miller is not just  a front court player, he is also a shooter. The current IU team doesn't have any natural shooters. There are a couple of players who may develop into good college shoots (e.g., Leal) but nobody, certain nobody who is 6'8'' or 6'9',' who can shoot 3s like Miller can. It remains a weakness for this team.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

"So, back to my (favorite?) adage: It's not who you don't get, it's who you get." It's not that I think Mason is going to be great, it's the fact that we were laser focused on TK and MM and couldn't get either one. I guess we need to start throwing the net out a lot wider so we might have 10 guys to have a chance of getting one.

13 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

"So, back to my (favorite?) adage: It's not who you don't get, it's who you get." It's not that I think Mason is going to be great, it's the fact that we were laser focused on TK and MM and couldn't get either one. I guess we need to start throwing the net out a lot wider so we might have 10 guys to have a chance of getting one.

I disagree...that was Tom Crean's method and it led to wildly divergent results.

I think we should be "all-in" on a relatively small number of recruits that truly fit the profile, both athletically and culturally, of who we want.

Then, if we strike out on too many and need to fill in, we should go all-in on select transfers, de-commits, or late very high risers (ie Geronimo). We do not want to buckshot ten offers in hopes that one will say yes--it might be the tenth best of that group that is the first yes.

The good news? I hope and think that the preferred style of recruiting is exactly what Archie has been doing.

This is the ultimate in throwing stuff against the wall, but keep this name in the back of your mind: Sydney Curry. 6'8" JUCO PF. Plays at John Logan. One of the top 10 returning kids in JUCO this year. Big body, terrific athlete, lefty. Good enough to have a KU offer. And, he's from Fort Wayne. No idea what kind of kid he is, but since Archie has at least looked at JUCO kids in the past, this might be....interesting.

Strictly a fwiw kind of thing.

16 minutes ago, Demo said:

This is the ultimate in throwing stuff against the wall, but keep this name in the back of your mind: Sydney Curry. 6'8" JUCO PF. Plays at John Logan. One of the top 10 returning kids in JUCO this year. Big body, terrific athlete, lefty. Good enough to have a KU offer. And, he's from Fort Wayne. No idea what kind of kid he is, but since Archie has at least looked at JUCO kids in the past, this might be....interesting.

Strictly a fwiw kind of thing.

6’8”, 265. Yeah, I’d say that’s a big body.

Under 50% ft and no outside game though.

36 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Wishful thinking or have you heard something?

Haven’t heard a thing, but his combination of high academic achievement and injury history just screams re-class. 

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

6’8”, 265. Yeah, I’d say that’s a big body.

Under 50% ft and no outside game though.

Yeah, no idea if they even look at the kid. But, as you quite correctly pointed out in your screed above, there are a lot of avenues to build a roster. Missing on Miller is miles and miles from the end of the world.

Just now, Demo said:

Yeah, no idea if they even look at the kid. But, as you quite correctly pointed out in your screed above, there are a lot of avenues to build a roster. Missing on Miller is miles and miles from the end of the world.

^This. 

I have read a few anecdotes from the national recruiting guys expecting a 'wild' spring/summer recruitment window full of decommits & seemingly odd school selections for the class of '21 due to the (1) potential immediate eligibility for transfers, (2) an additional year of eligibility across the board for athletes, and (3) the inability for coaches and staff to get recruits on campus and see them live.  I bring this up because as much as it pains me, patience might be CAM's strongest weapon this recruitment cycle.  

And then there was 1.

2021 COMMITS        
Name High School Location   Offered Committed
Duncomb, Logan Archbishop Moeller Cincinnati, OH   07.31.19 04.07.20

2021 OFFERS    
Name High School Location   IU Offer Notes

Mohammed, Aminu Greenwood Lab School Springfield, MO   07.17.19  

2021 COMMITTED ELSEWHERE IU Offer Committed To:
Amzil, Mustapha First Love Christ. Acad. Washington, PA   11.11.20 Dayton 11.16.20
Camden, John Brewster Academy Wolfeboro,  NH   05.16.20 Memphis 09.30.20
Christie, Max  Rolling Meadows HS Rolling Meadows, IL   06.19.19 MSU 07.07.20
Clarke, Terrence Brewster Academy Wolfeboro, NH   07.23.18 pUKe 09.14.19
Furst, Caleb FW Blackhawk Christian Fort Wayne, IN   10.27.18 PUke 03.03.20
Graham, James III Nicolet HS Milwaukee, WI   07.02.20 MD 08.19.20
Hopkins, Bryce Fenwick HS Oak Park, IL   06.22.19 pUKe 10.26.20
Kauffman, Trey Silver Creek HS Sellersburg, IN   06.07.19 PUke 10.30.20
Kepnang, Franck Westtown HS Norristown, PA   07.18.19 Oregon 10.10.20
Longino, Jordan Germantown Academy Fort Washington, PA   04.08.20 Nova 07.23.20
Miller, Mason Houston HS Germantown, TN   Informal Creighton 11.23.20
Patterson, Trey Rutgers Preparatory Somerset, NJ   06.24.19 Nova 06.18.20
Sallis, Hunter Millard North HS Omaha, NE   08.28.20 Not in Top 8
Wesley, Blake  South Bend Riley HS South Bend, IN   07.29.19 Notre Dame 11.20.20
Whitt, Carter Brewster Academy Wolfeboro,  NH   ?? Wake Forest 09.21.20

I don’t care about Mason Miller. We need a 4 and he’s much more of a 3. So whatevs.

However, Archie should be embarrassed by his recruiting results for 2021. Abysmal.

Mohammad would make me feel better despite it not being a true position of need. He’s a difference maker, regardless.

But at this point, Archie needs to remember what it feels like to win a recruitment.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

And then there was 1.
  2021 COMMITS        
Name High School Location   Offered Committed
Duncomb, Logan Archbishop Moeller Cincinnati, OH   07.31.19 04.07.20

2021 OFFERS    
Name High School Location   IU Offer Notes

Mohammed, Aminu Greenwood Lab School Springfield, MO   07.17.19  

2021 COMMITTED ELSEWHERE IU Offer Committed To:
Amzil, Mustapha First Love Christ. Acad. Washington, PA   11.11.20 Dayton 11.16.20
Camden, John Brewster Academy Wolfeboro,  NH   05.16.20 Memphis 09.30.20
Christie, Max  Rolling Meadows HS Rolling Meadows, IL   06.19.19 MSU 07.07.20
Clarke, Terrence Brewster Academy Wolfeboro, NH   07.23.18 pUKe 09.14.19
Furst, Caleb FW Blackhawk Christian Fort Wayne, IN   10.27.18 PUke 03.03.20
Graham, James III Nicolet HS Milwaukee, WI   07.02.20 MD 08.19.20
Hopkins, Bryce Fenwick HS Oak Park, IL   06.22.19 pUKe 10.26.20
Kauffman, Trey Silver Creek HS Sellersburg, IN   06.07.19 Puke 10.30.20
Kepnang, Franck Westtown HS Norristown, PA   07.18.19 Oregon 10.10.20
Longino, Jordan Germantown Academy Fort Washington, PA   04.08.20 Nova 07.23.20
Miller, Mason Houston HS Germantown, TN   Informal Creighton 11.23.20
Patterson, Trey Rutgers Preparatory Somerset, NJ   06.24.19 Nova 06.18.20
Sallis, Hunter Millard North HS Omaha, NE   08.28.20 Not in Top 8
Wesley, Blake  South Bend Riley HS South Bend, IN   07.29.19 Notre Dame 11.20.20
Whitt, Carter Brewster Academy Wolfeboro,  NH   ?? Wake Forest 09.21.20

Pretty remarkable. Kentucky getting 2 of your targets isn’t too surprising. Purdue getting the best 2 players in the state hurts.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Woof.  Spin this any way you want, but this month has been rough.

Losing 2 of your top 3 recruits left to Purdue and Creighton is not good.  It just looks bad.

Aminu Mohamed would take the sting off a bunch, but we already have Galloway, Leal, and Geronimo there so it's not really a position of need.  He would definitely be the best of the bunch though.

Recruiting is a brutal game man.  It almost NEVER works out the way you want or think it will.