Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2021) - PF Mason Miller to Creighton

On 11/15/2020 at 1:43 PM, Stuhoo said:

I’m getting whiplash!

Made the final two? Yay

Down to two without visiting us? Not good.

Committing without visiting? We’re screwed

Visiting right before he commits? Excellent...

Bump ...

not visiting after all—booooo

When are you hoping to make your decision by?

“Getting down to maybe this Wednesday or next Monday.”

How will it be announced?

“I’ll probably do it on social media. I can’t really do anything at school or anything. Can’t really do all of that because of COVID, so probably on social media for sure.”

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/11/17/class-of-2021-power-forward-mason-miller-talks-top-2-decision-timetable/

14 hours ago, Feathery said:

Not holding my breath on this one. Honestly expecting a class of Duncomb and then a couple of transfers r the season for this class. 

I agree. Kinda feels like the next 6mos are make or break for Miller's tenure. Assuming we have some semblance of a normal season he has to do well (IMO) and then he could have 4-6 scholarships to fill if Al, TJD and Brunk all move on and anyone else decides to leave too. 

A "meh" season followed by a weak/small recruiting class would be too much headwind for him to overcome. To be clear, I'm not predicting or hoping for either, but can see it playing out that way.

8 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I agree. Kinda feels like the next 6mos are make or break for Miller's tenure. Assuming we have some semblance of a normal season he has to do well (IMO) and then he could have 4-6 scholarships to fill if Al, TJD and Brunk all move on and anyone else decides to leave too. 

A "meh" season followed by a weak/small recruiting class would be too much headwind for him to overcome. To be clear, I'm not predicting or hoping for either, but can see it playing out that way.

Kinda my thinking as well. Make the tournament this year and I think the recruiting will pick up again. I can see Al and Brunk staying another year as this season doesn’t count against eligibility. So not a huge need to have a big class this year. But in 2 seasons the class will be larger and will need a couple of transfers in to balance out the classes. 

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Kinda my thinking as well. Make the tournament this year and I think the recruiting will pick up again. I can see Al and Brunk staying another year as this season doesn’t count against eligibility. So not a huge need to have a big class this year. But in 2 seasons the class will be larger and will need a couple of transfers in to balance out the classes. 

We need more than a tournament appearance this year. We are losing our best player after this year and have failed to replace him as of yet. With no real prospects. Eking into the tourney isn’t going to be enough to sell future recruits.  

We need more than a tournament appearance this year. We are losing our best player after this year and have failed to replace him as of yet. With no real prospects. Eking into the tourney isn’t going to be enough to sell future recruits.  

Something just doesn’t feel right about the projection of our program. Missing recruits with primary playing time and positions to offer is exhibitA. This being a year, we think we are good, yet we are projected 7th or 8th in the B1G.

We hang our hat in the grad transfer market, BUT these players will pick the more desirable choices the same way the recruits are doing.

It doesn’t feel like we are building a giant. Maybe Archie can win with the less is more strategy but I’d much rather be Goliath than to constantly hope we are David.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Something just doesn’t feel right about the projection of our program. Missing recruits with primary playing time and positions to offer is exhibitA. This being a year, we think we are good, yet we are projected 7th or 8th in the B1G.

We hang our hat in the grad transfer market, BUT these players will pick the more desirable choices the same way the recruits are doing.

It doesn’t feel like we are building a giant. Maybe Archie can win with the less is more strategy but I’d much rather be Goliath than to constantly hope we are David.

Exactly in less time OSU, Illinois and Michigan have all replaced coaches and appear to be rolling. OSU has had some struggles but anybody without crimson colored glasses has them ahead in year 4.  

Greg Gard has 4 top 4 finishes in 5 years. Archie looks poised to have none. And don’t tell me he has a better foundation.  He’s recruited just about every player on this and last years team. And when adversity punched them in the mouth they punched back.  Instead of talking cheap about making changes that never occurred. And he did that all without a top 3 recruiting class 

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Exactly in less time OSU, Illinois and Michigan have all replaced coaches and appear to be rolling. OSU has had some struggles but anybody without crimson colored glasses has them ahead in year 4.  

Greg Gard has 4 top 4 finishes in 5 years. Archie looks poised to have none. And don’t tell me he has a better foundation.  He’s recruited just about every player on this and last years team. And when adversity punched them in the mouth they punched back.  Instead of talking cheap about making changes that never occurred. And he did that all without a top 3 recruiting class 

I personally think we are better than 8th this year. Archie had us poised for a tournament bid in year 3, which was what I was wanting when he was hired. The Big Ten is loaded this year and I think we can be a good team in conference. Have a solid season and make the tournament and recruiting will be fine. The NCAA’s is always a crapshoot. We could be a one and done or we can make a run. It’s all about matchups, health, and who can get hot. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I personally think we are better than 8th this year. Archie had us poised for a tournament bid in year 3, which was what I was wanting when he was hired. The Big Ten is loaded this year and I think we can be a good team in conference. Have a solid season and make the tournament and recruiting will be fine. The NCAA’s is always a crapshoot. We could be a one and done or we can make a run. It’s all about matchups, health, and who can get hot. 

Maybe. Every year I hear we are going to exceed the experts predictions. Hasn’t happened yet. 

Geez ... everything is hunky dory and then Trey Kaufman decides to play at Purdoo and this thread migrated to Archie’s seat suddenly becoming warm?!?
That is NOT the case.
That is NOT how it works. 
In my opinion? That is nonsense.

Time will tell. It’s more than the Kaufman miss. (A bunch of recruiting misses and lackluster play) Although, that one hurts most because it deflates future projected hope which is most of what IUBB has been for years, as our on court results underwhelm.

Other B1G schools (numerous) are out coaching us or out recruiting us or both. Is this the year we get with Archie we have all hoped for for 3 years? Maybe, maybe not. Past results don’t suggest so, but again , time will tell.

Then what? We lose our best player, don’t have a stellar incoming class, then project 6th-10th in the B1G again? When does Archie get us to the plateau Fred Glass talked of when firing Crean?

A star recruit or 2 does so much for the program and the fan base in hope. It didn’t have to be Kaufman but it could have been 20 other star players Archie didn’t target or land.

Since this is a Mason Miller thread. Even if we get him my concerns aren’t quelled. He’s a nice player. Would be glad to have him. Not a program changer at Indiana.

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Time will tell. It’s more than the Kaufman miss. (A bunch of recruiting misses and lackluster play) Although, that one hurts most because it deflates future projected hope which is most of what IUBB has been for years, as our on court results underwhelm.

Other B1G schools (numerous) are out coaching us or out recruiting us or both. Is this the year we get with Archie we have all hoped for for 3 years? Maybe, maybe not. Past results don’t suggest so, but again , time will tell.

Then what? We lose our best player, don’t have a stellar incoming class, then project 6th-10th in the B1G again? When does Archie get us to the plateau Fred Glass talked of when firing Crean?

A star recruit or 2 does so much for the program and the fan base in hope. It didn’t have to be Kaufman but it could have been 20 other star players Archie didn’t target or land.

Since this is a Mason Miller thread. Even if we get him my concerns aren’t quelled. He’s a nice player. Would be glad to have him. Not a program changer at Indiana.

Completely well-reasoned, balanced take Doc!

The primary exception I might take is that EVERY program misses on many, many top targets.

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Completely well-reasoned, balanced take Doc!

The primary exception I might take is that EVERY program misses on many, many top targets.

True.  Wisconsin, OSU, Illinois and Michigan have missed on top targets.  Yet they are poised to contend this year or next.  

We would have to surprise to do the same. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

True.  Wisconsin, OSU, Illinois and Michigan have missed on top targets.  Yet they are poised to contend this year or next.  

We would have to surprise to do the same. 

IU is poised to be ahead of all those teams on paper next year if 1 of 2 things happens. Either TJD comes back for a third year, or IU gets a legit low-post player in the transfer market. 

IU is not that far off like this thread would make it appear.....

anyway, good luck to Mason wherever he chooses to go.