Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

I Need a New Grill - Advice Please

We moved and left our rusty old gas grill behind.

Priorities for the new one are:

Ease of use 

Wood smoke option without awful chemicals 

Leave it outside in Florida without it rusting away

Slow cooking for an all day smoke, and quick cooking on weekdays

Price is not a huge hurdle, but don’t want to spend $1,000

What say y’all?

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

Highly highly highly recommend Weber.  Not only will it be the best grill you've ever owned, but it will last outside in Florida and has a 10 year warranty.

But no wood smoke because it’s gas?

My smoker just bite the dust this week and moving to DC here in a few weeks so been doing some research and a couple buddies have one but heard nothing but good things about Traegers so that’s the route I’m going. Combo grill & smoker. Think you can find a good one for 5-6 hundred.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1)  For that "old school" style?   Weber kettle and Weber charcoal with applewood chips

2)  Traeger makes one hell of a product.  Love them

3)  The Green Egg still a good option too

2 and 3 in that order.   

My smoker just bite the dust this week and moving to DC here in a few weeks so been doing some research and a couple buddies have one but heard nothing but good things about Traegers so that’s the route I’m going. Combo grill & smoker. Think you can find a good one for 5-6 hundred.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Our local Home Depot had last year’s models 50% off two weeks ago. We scored an $850 one for $425. I actually prefer a Green Egg but the Traeger is nice.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Looking hard myself. Love my Weber Genesis for grilling. Have a Cookshack electric smoker which is a total Cadillac. Wanting to get a pellet for a more true smoke and ability to grill over wood. Rec Tec is what I’m leaning toward. They are much heavier built and lots of higher grade stainless. Depending on the size you want you can get under the grand mark.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Weber makes smokers too

Was excited for the Weber smokefire. But it’s a gen 1 product and having some issues. Always the challenge. I’ll look at the gen 2 version if I have not pulled the trigger yet.

43 minutes ago, Dhop said:

Looking hard myself. Love my Weber Genesis for grilling. Have a Cookshack electric smoker which is a total Cadillac. Wanting to get a pellet for a more true smoke and ability to grill over wood. Rec Tec is what I’m leaning toward. They are much heavier built and lots of higher grade stainless. Depending on the size you want you can get under the grand mark.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Just looked up the rec etc and they seem to be superior build quality. My main dilemma is that pellet grills take 30 minutes to get up to heat.

Is an egg better in quickly getting up to heat?

Just looked up the rec etc and they seem to be superior build quality. My main dilemma is that pellet grills take 30 minutes to get up to heat.
Is an egg better in quickly getting up to heat?

No, and you have to tend to them more on a long smoke. Lots of good about each type, but pellet is the best ease of use. All depends on your grilling/smoking style preference

I have had cheap grills all my life until I purchase a Weber. Very solid, heavy gas grill.  I use it with a small smoker tube that can burn for a couple hours on the top rack if I want that flavor and the temp can go quite low if you want to do ribs/brisket/whatever. I'm not sure I have the patience it takes to have a Green Egg and I don't want to invest the money in both.

9 hours ago, Dhop said:

Was excited for the Weber smokefire. But it’s a gen 1 product and having some issues. Always the challenge. I’ll look at the gen 2 version if I have not pulled the trigger yet.

My neighbor has the Gen 1 smoker, I'm on a Weber Spirit.  While his isn't perfect, these Webers come with a 10 year warranty while sitting outside in Florida.  You can't beat that down here