Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - C Shawn Phillips to NC State

“Ohio State, West Virginia, Indiana, Cincinnati, Dayton and NC State have really been showing a lot of love lately,” Phillips said.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/shawn-phillips-hoping-for-an-informative-summer?fbclid=IwAR2lR3SQmTuIH7t6ZnhmOtYutA0MSi3wtP_X6_GKZEkv9U72K7ePti78HWs

Jamie Shaw on Phillips performance the weekend of April 17 - 

When talking with Phillips after his 14-point, 16-rebound performance on Saturday, I asked him who his game most resembles, very matter of factly, Phillips replied, “Shaq.”  Yes, going up against, high major, top-100 bigs in each game, Phillips displayed that Shaq-type of dominance on the blocks.  A throw back big of sorts, Phillips has excellent footwork with the ability to bury his defender on the block and finish with multiple moves or just dunk it through you.  The Ohio native, playing with the Georgia Stars said he hears the most from West Virginia, Ohio State, Dayton, Indiana, Florida, Cincinnati (old staff) and NC State right now.  This could be a huge summer for him, as his type of low block big man skill set is a dying breed, but still very effective in the college game.  Currently sitting at No. 61, a bump could be on the horizon in the Rivals150 rankings for Phillips.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jamie Shaw on Phillips performance the weekend of April 17 - 

When talking with Phillips after his 14-point, 16-rebound performance on Saturday, I asked him who his game most resembles, very matter of factly, Phillips replied, “Shaq.”  Yes, going up against, high major, top-100 bigs in each game, Phillips displayed that Shaq-type of dominance on the blocks.  A throw back big of sorts, Phillips has excellent footwork with the ability to bury his defender on the block and finish with multiple moves or just dunk it through you.  The Ohio native, playing with the Georgia Stars said he hears the most from West Virginia, Ohio State, Dayton, Indiana, Florida, Cincinnati (old staff) and NC State right now.  This could be a huge summer for him, as his type of low block big man skill set is a dying breed, but still very effective in the college game.  Currently sitting at No. 61, a bump could be on the horizon in the Rivals150 rankings for Phillips.

Doesn't sound like the type of player that would fit CMW's up tempo style. But what do I know. Sometimes talent is talent. If he is Shaq like, maybe you just throw it in to him and let him go to work.

3 hours ago, cthomas said:

Doesn't sound like the type of player that would fit CMW's up tempo style. But what do I know. Sometimes talent is talent. If he is Shaq like, maybe you just throw it in to him and let him go to work.

Woody can have 1 guy like that on the court and still run what he wants. 

This has been a hard one to follow.  His Ypsi Prep high school played a very abbreviated schedule and Emoni Bates got all the press.  And, Phillip's name just hasn't popped up very frequently in regards to IU but from his comments in the link below, we're still pursuing.

Indiana“That relationship has been going well. The new coaching staff has recently been in contact with me and have been building that relationship with me as well. I haven't been able to speak with coach Woodson yet but coach Rosemond is recruiting me and his message has been the same as what coach Archie was saying in that they want to recruit me and that I would be great at their school. Moving forward I just want to learn more from them about how they run their offense and how things all work together.”

“I would like to speak with coach Woodson at some point because when I choose a college I'm looking for more than a coach but a long time friend and if he gives off that vibe then I'll most definitely consider them.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Indiana-NC-State-Florida-Shawn-Phillips-165865179/

Dan McDonald of Rivals -

(No. 42). At 6-foot-10, the Ohio native uses his big, strong frame as well as any prospect I saw this spring to seal off defenders and score from the block. He’s a good athlete with strong hands and soft touch around the rim. He just completed a visit to Illinois. Cincinnati, Dayton, Indiana, NC State, Ohio State and West Virginia have also been involved here. My prediction is those programs and others make him a priority coming out of July.