Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB - News and Notes

Indiana Women's Basketball - Congrats to our guy, associate head coach @RhetWierzba, who will participate in the @TopConnectLead!  He's one of 13 coaches (men's or women's) and 13 college administrators selected nationwide for the prestigious leadership institute.

Indiana women's basketball head coach Teri Moren has been named a court coach for the upcoming USA Basketball Women's U19 World Cup Team Trials.  

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2021/5/12/womens-basketball-teri-moren-named-court-coach-for-2021-usa-womens-u19-world-cup-team-trials.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1W1LlNq2fJpJVU6zCKrZ75rX0YeQ5cIQhh7zF6shR6kqlnTyJKAJczv1U

We barely got to know her and Paige Price is already going back to Australia to be nearer family and to turn pro.

Paige Price @paigepriceaus

Its a big decision to go home but i have an opportunity to be near family and to go PRO. I will miss all the connections and memories made in my time at IU. No place like home.

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We barely got to know her and Paige Price is already going back to Australia to be nearer family and to turn pro.

Paige Price @paigepriceaus

Its a big decision to go home but i have an opportunity to be near family and to go PRO. I will miss all the connections and memories made in my time at IU. No place like home.

One of the finest 18 minute Indiana basketball careers imaginable lol.

I think this is a little disrespectful to a then 17yo who left her family on christmas day, was made promises and then as you say got 18 minutes but in 2 minute blocks. If I tell my 12 kids that if they all go and pick food and all will get fed and then I only feed 5 the result will be 6 leaving the house. Not only that the 5 that get fed get so tired they are knocked out of the tournament first game

USA totally decimated the Dominican Republic 103-39 in its opening AmeriCup game.  Grace Berger had 6 pts; 5 reb and 4 assists in the win.   USA plays Puerto Rico tomorrow; Venezuela on Monday; Argentina on Tuesday.  On Thursday, they'll presumably play a quarterfinal game.  

24 minutes ago, New Aust Hoosier said:

I think this is a little disrespectful to a then 17yo who left her family on christmas day, was made promises and then as you say got 18 minutes but in 2 minute blocks. If I tell my 12 kids that if they all go and pick food and all will get fed and then I only feed 5 the result will be 6 leaving the house. Not only that the 5 that get fed get so tired they are knocked out of the tournament first game

Condolences to your family’s experience.  I know this is always harder on the family than the fans.  

2 thoughts, and I might be wrong on 1 or both.

1. It seems rare anymore that players want to “wait” their turn.  IUWBB definitely pushes their starting 5 hard.  Was her experience different?  

2.  Didn’t we do really well in the tournament and advance the furthest in our history?  

clearly, lots of turnover and this is a trend. But winning is also becoming a trend.  So, I’m enjoying the quality of basketball on the court at the moment.  Surely there is more to it, but the starters are all very good players. 

Not family, one of her coaches back here. I was talking about the big ten. Lots of wonderful memories, great kids from what I hear.

If you are going to take a kid away from playing our national league and not play her then don't be surprised when she goes back to the national league and gets paid. Clubs here are now offering kids free University to counter what the amercian system offers.

I think no crowds, no students on campus etc makes it a really hard experience for any foreign kid when they can't go home, it was bad timing. 

I just think thoughtless comments mocking her "career" is rude,  that was my point, nothing else

On 6/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, New Aust Hoosier said:

It was my comment—it was certainly “smart -assey” but it is a fan board.

Also, I’m assuming the promises that were made largely consisted of:

• All expenses paid world class education, 
  • The experience of a lifetime, and
  • The chance to compete for playing time.

For what it’s worth, whether she flew to the U.S. on Dec 25th or waited until the 26th I’m guessing was her choice and is a little bit overly dramatic, as is the analogy of feeding children. 

That package of travel, meals, + $40k annual education was going to be available for two more years, as was the continued opportunity to develop and compete for playing time on a consistently top 20 program. Also, during her recruitment the people around her only had to look at any IU box scores to know that Moren relies heavily on her starters. That’s a mixed blessing for players but an obvious dynamic.

When she leaves after two years that’s certainly her option, but it’s also kinda an admission that she doesn’t want to stay and develop so that more playing time is earned and she becomes one of the heavy minutes players.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, New Aust Hoosier said:

I've heard this complaint from several of the transfers. Hopefully, the staff gets this corrected, or I think it will catch up to them in the long run. 

USA has automatically advanced to the Thursday quarterfinals.  Argentina has been booted from the competition due to COVID-19 protocols.  Its remaining scheduled games against the USA and Venezuela are deemed forfeits and the results of the 2 games it has played are nullified.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:15 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don’t have any insights into the women’s program other than just being a fan of the team - but it sure seems like an odd situation to have this rare opportunity to transfer and play immediately because of COVID, and a team like the Lady Hoosiers who are locked and loaded to make a run at a Final Four next year, but needing that “missing piece” or stud sixth-man - and yet we haven’t been able to convince any elite talent maybe playing at a second tier program or conference, to come in and make a run with us. ?? I don’t totally understand how this sales pitch isn’t landing. At a minimum it would be nice to use the momentum and exposure to lock up some talent for the next few years when this golden crop of talent will ultimately leave. Moren maybe need to have a sit-down with the football coaching staff to get some advice on how to capitalize on success as a historically middling program.