Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

What was your first/earliest memory of...

I remember the 81 title game and Reagan being shot concurrently. I was 15 and as a Chicago suburban brat had no idea I’d be going to IU three years later. 

First memory as an IU fan was Uwe Blab era as a freshman at IU. I was hooked at the first sight of Assembly Hall.

That was Alford and Marty Simmons’s freshman year. Good lord Simmons was a great freshman, but he couldn’t handle Knight.

Beat UNC/Jordan in the tourney and complete Showalter Fountain mega celebration followed. Ralph Samson and Jeff Lamb at UVA got us in the next round if I remember correctly.

49 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

That's mine also.I remember some real bad offense foul calls on Downing fouling him out.I think TV Teddy watched and used that game as a model for calling the IU Duke final four game.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s exactly a hot take to say that no Coach in cbb history got a better whistle than Wooden. Krzyzewski could only dream of getting the calls Wooden got.

A bit of an interesting one here, my first memory of Indiana basketball is watching the 1987 Championship game. I was 8 years old and we lived near Philadelphia and guess what? I rooting for Syracuse. I didn’t know anything about Indiana and as a kid in Big East Country I loved Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson. 

Little did I know that literally less than two months after watching that game, my parents would announce to us that we were moving to Indianapolis. The rest is history. Fell in love with IU basketball almost immediately, following Calbert and that entire class, and then especially when as a ball boy for our high school team, I got to ball boy and sit under the hoop when our high school played Damon Bailey at Butler, played at The Wig Wam, and played at Lawrence North against Montross and those guys. 

Family have been big IU fans forever. First memory is of our unofficial cousin Quinn and the 76 team but I really got hooked when Isaiah came.

Was a student during the 87 championship and celebrated at the fountain after the game.

Worked for the HT during the early 90s and got to enjoy the 92 team as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I can remember back to 72-73. But my fondest memories was sitting at the kitchen table with my crippled Pappaw listening to every game on his little am radio that resembled a wooden barreled beer keg with the tap as the dial. That's where I first heard the sweet sound of Don Ficsher's voice. He made it easy to SEE the action on the floor. Even with TV, it still sounds better thru his voice. 

Grew up next door to Notre Dame, but dad was a Hoosier fan thru and thru. A few days before Christmas 1970 dad took 6 yr old me to the ND-IU game. I remember him raving about Big Mac all game as he dominated. I was hooked. It was great going thru school as IU fan surrounded by ND fans, not so great during football season tho lol

21 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Which was quickly followed by your first cuss word.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Ha! I can’t say I was old enough to remember, but my dad is really proud that it wasn’t “mama” or “dada” but Uwe because of the crowd chants. 

Now my first real IU memory was walking out onto the court with my dad when all the lights were off, back around ‘89...a janitor found us right outside one of the tunnels and said “are you guys supposed to be here?” My dad apologized and we started walking off when the guy stopped us and told me to go stand at center court directly on the “I.” My dad said to walk out there alone, and after a minute or two all of the lights came on in the Hall and I stood there looking around. I was probably only 5 or so, but it was an incredibly important moment I’ll never forget.

7 hours ago, Honkyman said:

The first IU basketball team I followed was the 1964-65 IU team with the Van Arsdale twins and Jon McGlocklin which was just after my family moved to South Bend from Chicago. I was already a big college basketball fan having followed Loyola win the national championship in 1963. All three Hoosiers were future NBA players. It was also Branch McCracken's last season coaching. By then the two time national champion coach had lost his touch but those three were remarkable to watch.

I sat next to Jon McGlocklin at the Indy 500 once.  

Too long ago to remember the games, but laying on the living room floor in the early 70’s in front of the console TV. Martha would start singing and the excitement would start. Still gives me chills.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah man. As a kid hearing Martha was as much of Indiana basketball as RMK. You didn’t start a game without it. Hell Martha is my ringtone. Always an ice breaker in a meeting.

Yeah man. As a kid hearing Martha was as much of Indiana basketball as RMK. You didn’t start a game without it. Hell Martha is my ringtone. Always an ice breaker in a meeting.

Younger gens just can’t understand the power of it. One went with the other in the 70’s and 80’s. IUBB was must see TV on good ol channel 4 and it ALWAYS started with that commercial. Play that song and it evokes so much for the folks that have been around a while.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Younger gens just can’t understand the power of it. One went with the other in the 70’s and 80’s. IUBB was must see TV on good ol channel 4 and it ALWAYS started with that commercial. Play that song and it evokes so much for the folks that have been around a while.

That’s something I wish the BTN would let them do. I understand why not during conference but during cupcake season that would be awesome.

Absolutely! I remember though I was young and it definitely set the moment. Watching her walk through the halls while majestically singing is a fond childhood memory of mine. Up here in Ft. Wayne area I also for some reason always remember the Mutton Power Equipment commercials during the media TO's lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I also remember some random games. One against Butler when Graves(?) was there. One against Xavier, I believe Romaine Sato was there and another again Charlotte when they were decent. Another against Michigan State when Paul Davis was there. I think it went to OT.

In the early 70's I was an Indiana Pacers fan, first and foremost.  I casually followed IU only in the hope that he'd end up on the Pacers (which he did).  I didn't follow college ball, but my dad watched Purdue games but I wasn't interested.  During 1974-75, the IU juggernaut was getting a lot of coverage and I began watching games and became a fan.  The first intense memory was watching the NCAA loss to the cheaters down South with Scott May playing with a cast.  I vividly remember thinking we were the better team and got the short end of the officiating straw - as the game concluded I was so disappointed that I broke the aerial off my old Admiral black and white TV.

I can still recall the sound the "mother" of Oscar Robertson made after she called him in the house on the Farm Bureau commercial (and of course Martha's chuckle at the end of the fight song).

I remember when channel 4 used to televise pre-season scrimmages.  I think it was when Alford was a freshman, but he made a move toward the basket and then whipped a behind the head pass to Uwe, smacked him right in the face (lol).

13 hours ago, Dhop said:

I am SO glad someone else thinks this way.  Exactly.  Spot the heck on.  Who remembers THIS one?  I literally have tears in my eyes.

26 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I am SO glad someone else thinks this way.  Exactly.  Spot the heck on.  Who remembers THIS one?  I literally have tears in my eyes.

Little known fact - Oscar Robertson missed the entire 4th grade due to tetanus, which he contracted from shooting baskets with rusty ‘ol tin cans.