Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB - 2020 Off-Season News

Problem is our rotation looks to be 8 now.  What happens when our guys start getting hurt. 

I see Rob, Lander, Franklin, Al, Hunter, TJD, Race, Brunk, and 1 other freshman being in the regular rotation. One of the freshman other than Lander will probably see 10+. If a big went down it would be my biggest concern. It was that way before Justin. We are a Brunk or TJD injury/suspension away from playing very small. We could survive most every other position. If Race would have left and Justin stayed I would honestly feel the same. And I love Race and what he brings. I think Justin brought a lot too. He wasn’t my favorite, but he had a great role when he accepted it and played within it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Problem is our rotation looks to be 8 now.  What happens when our guys start getting hurt. 

Rotation is eight, roster is 11. Those are good numbers for team chemistry - prevents having a back of the bench player who resents not seeing the floor.

Rotation goes to nine if one of the three non-Lander freshmen is "born ready."

3 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Was Justin the last Crean guy?  Maybe he's heading to Georgia?  

Al is the last Crean guy.

I actually don't think this is a big deal for how good IU is at all and in my mind I always thought this was possible.

With that said this new phenomenon of entering the draft THEN transferring needs to be nipped in the bud or it will hurt college basketball a lot. I am not mad at Smith but this is not fair to coaches or teammates losing a guy so late. 

I have no problem with this new transfer thing without sitting being discussed but I think there needs to be a transfer window and if you want to transfer without sitting (same for grad transfers) you have to do it within the transfer window or you sit a year AND lose a year of eligibility. Same would go for people who enter draft as they would be outside transfer window (something like 1 month from National Championship game or whatever is determined).

This seems like a good compromise to ensure players have immediate eligibility but is also fair to the teams so they don't lose a guy late and left scrambling. Just like European soccer has a transfer window college sports needs something similar so you don't have guys transferring at last minute with no way to replace them. 

Rotation is eight, roster is 11. Those are good numbers for team chemistry - prevents having a back of the bench player who resents not seeing the floor.

Completely agree. I think we find out quick based on who is the best defender.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well our injury luck will have to change. Otherwise our rotation will be 6 each night. 

100% co-sign

Yep, leaving 3 shooters on the floor at all times. Hopefully we can find ways to get 4 on the floor at times too, moving Hunter to the 4 a bit.

I have to wonder if Archie promised TJD he wouldn’t have to play the 5? I think that hurts us because he is a college 5. I just like him better at the 5, it opens up so many more intriguing lineups

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Starting Lineup Options

1. Phin
  2. Lander
  3. Either Durham or Hunter
  4. TJD
  5. Either Thompson or Brunk

Franklin, and non-starter of Durham/Hunter and Brunk/Thompson get about 20 mpg.

Thompson starting at the 5 will tank my expectations for the season. 

I like him at the 4 and assume some spot mins here or there at 5, but he is not a starting B1G or even Power 5 center, IMO. 

I'd love to see a Grad Transfer C come in. 

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

If I’m Smith I transfer to an Ivey league school, dominate kids and get a degree that will open doors

I agree.  Not many can say that they've graduated from Kelley in 3 years while playing a sport I wouldn't think.  Pretty impressive and wish him the best moving forward.

Not surprised, appreciative of what he tried doing here and wish him the best.

I don't think we see Hunter at the 4 unless an opposing 4 is undersized too.  That is the way the game is going but Hunter is awfully thin to go up against some of the bigger 4s in the Big Ten.  I hope this is his breakout season though.

Thompson might not be the biggest 5 but dude makes up for it with physicality.  He could get some run at the 5 or we could have two "4s" on the court with Thompson/TJD.

Brunk will have his games where he is needed and other games where he doesn't see as much time.  We'll definitely need his big body and leadership though.  I'm guessing we see him 15-20 mpg.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Smith is from Buffalo Grove -- that's only about 20-25 miles from Evanston. 

Wonder if he'd join Peyton Ramsey at Northwestern? I have no idea if he'd fit their roster or if they have a scholly available, however. 

That was my original thought.  I don't see him going to Ill.

40 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

So now we have 2 openings. I would really like to get a grad transfer 4 or 5. Even if he is just a back up that for when TJD or Brunk goes to the bench.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agreed. But a funny thing -- I essentially wrote this on another thread and had a couple dudes pretty much tell me I was an idiot for making the post. That if there were a grad transfer to be had, we'd have had him by now. But -- our very own Justin Smith just became available. Somebody will want him. ... You never know what might happen or who could enter the portal. I figure there's got to be somebody somewhere who can help us -- and it's only a one-year commitment, so even if it doesn't work out all that great, there's really no harm done. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Agreed. But a funny thing -- I essentially wrote this on another thread and had a couple dudes pretty much tell me I was an idiot for making the post. That if there were a grad transfer to be had, we'd have had him by now. But -- our very own Justin Smith just became available. Somebody will want him. ... You never know what might happen or who could enter the portal. I figure there's got to be somebody somewhere who can help us -- and it's only a one-year commitment, so even if it doesn't work out all that great, there's really no harm done. 

Now that we have minutes available might be able to coax somebody.