Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB - 2020 Off-Season News

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I believe this will lead to more minutes for Jerome Hunter. We will see though.

True but now Race pretty much has to start. Which means he can’t spell TJD and TJD will have to slide over and cover for Race when Race is on the Bench. So more minutes for Brunk. 

Where as if Hunter and Smith had been our starters Race could have been their guy off the bench. Which means Brunk would only have to play when TJD needed a breather.  

That or we go to a 3 guard line up. 

If we weren’t thin at the position I might agree with you.  

But Smith was better than Brunk and to me this just means more Brunk minutes.  

I think this just makes more minutes for Hunter, Thompson and Leal. Just means we might finally be getting Thompson at the 4.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hunter is not ready to be counted on.  Are for real you’d rather he get minutes than a defensive stud senior?

Yes. Brunk needs to be playing 10 minutes. If we’re reaching our potential, it’s with Hunter, not Brunk.

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yes. Brunk needs to be playing 10 minutes. If we’re reaching our potential, it’s with Hunter, not Brunk.

We are too thin to play Brunk only 10 minutes.  So your point is moot. 

120 minutes at forward and C. With 4 players that can be counted on.  

Great defender, but never seemed to accept his role as defender and trash bucket getter. Will miss his defense, but I am SO happy we likely won’t have 3 nonshooters on the court together at any point now. So while we are losing defense, we are improving on offense with spacing. Also been reading for a while he butted heads with some players and coaches so maybe this will improve team chemistry. Good luck to Justin wherever he lands.

Good luck Justin. Starting lineup - Rob, Lander, Al, Hunter, and TJD. I wouldn’t at all mind Race at the 4 and Hunter at the 3. TJD is going to play 30-35. Race is going to get 25. We just need 20-25 at the 4/5 between Brunk and some Hunter at the 4. Brunk will pull 15-20 at most. Probably closer to the 15.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We are too thin to play Brunk only 10 minutes.  So your point is moot. 

120 minutes at forward and C. With 4 players that can be counted on.  

TJD should be playing 30+ at center. Thompson 25. Hunter can fill in at the 4 with ease. While Al, Leal and Geronimo can play the 3. We are nowhere near thin when it comes to depth at any position. With injury sure, but luckily Smith leaving hurts us but at the same time it doesn’t.

Not affected by this decision. We will lose a few highlight reel dunks and also a plethora of maddening plays around the rim.

From a chemistry standpoint, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Archie seems to like 11 man rosters anyway. Haha. Do we add a late transfer?

I do worry about the late grad transfer unless it’s a knockdown shooter. Don’t think there are many of them this late.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Starting Lineup Options

1. Phin
  2. Lander
  3. Either Durham or Hunter
  4. TJD
  5. Either Thompson or Brunk

Franklin, and non-starter of Durham/Hunter and Brunk/Thompson get about 20 mpg.

I’d leave TJD at the 5. 

Maybe 3 guard line up with Hunter at the 4. 

Armaan spells the guards and Race gives the forwards their breaks.  

Also, our lineups just shrank. I prefer that. I am not a large lineup guy. You can build a rotation out of 8/9 and be very successful. I feel the larger rotations don’t allow anyone any time to get in sync.

Yeah, Archie might be on to something. Fielding 13 and having good chemistry is impossible. Redshirts/transfer sits can make it work.

I bet Justin Smith goes to Illinois. Based on nothing but instinct. And Smith doesn’t like Archie’s demeanor give him a few run ins with Underwood.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Starting Lineup Options

1. Phin
  2. Lander
  4. TJD

Hard to imagine Durham not starting and I don’t think Lander will be ready to start right away.
Assuming we don’t add a transfer I think it will be Rob, Al, Hunter, TJD and Brunk with Race, Lander and Franklin getting the most minutes off the bench. If Geronimo develops quickly, expect him to earn a significant role as well. 

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Also, our lineups just shrank. I prefer that. I am not a large lineup guy. You can build a rotation out of 8/9 and be very successful. I feel the larger rotations don’t allow anyone any time to get in sync.

Problem is our rotation looks to be 8 now.  What happens when our guys start getting hurt. 

Starting Lineup Options
  1. Phin
  2. Lander
  4. TJD

Thompson without any doubts. Brunk showed last year he’s really not good enough to play 20 minutes in the B1G. We were best when it was TJD/Thompson.

Yeah, Archie might be on to something. Fielding 13 and having good chemistry is impossible. Redshirts/transfer sits can make it work.

I bet Justin Smith goes to Illinois. Based on nothing but instinct. And Smith doesn’t like Archie’s demeanor give him a few run ins with Underwood.

I could see it. I was thinking a DePaul at first when I heard it. He would be dangerous in Illinois system.