Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SF Alex Karaban to UConn

6'7" 190 lbs attends New Hampton HS in New Hampton, NH.  Currently unrated on 247.  Good background at the link below including references to several past IU players and a soon-to-be Hoosier, Jordan Geronimo.  Plays AAU (hopefully) for Expressions Elite on the EYBL circuit.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-offer-2022-forward-alex-karaban/

Couldn't find much current info but I'll keep looking..

June '19 Prep Hoops

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

6'7" 190 lbs attends New Hampton HS in New Hampton, NH.  Currently unrated on 247.  Good background at the link below including references to several past IU players and a soon-to-be Hoosier, Jordan Geronimo.  Plays AAU (hopefully) for Expressions Elite on the EYBL circuit.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-offer-2022-forward-alex-karaban/

June '19 Prep Hoops

Key item to note: Attends the same prep school as did Coach  Mike Roberts.

37 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

June '19 Prep Hoops

Wow, New Hampton is like IU East.

I found brief summaries for 35 games only 3 of the summaries referenced anything other than points scored.  For those 35 games, Karaban average 19.6 ppg and in 19 of the 35, he  was his team's leading scorer.  There were 3 games with no mention of his name in the game summary with no indication that he played or didn't play.  If he didn't play at all in those 3 games his ppg is 21.4  Interestingly, one of those 3 games was against Jordan Geronimo and St. Paul's, a game New Hampton won 71-63.  New Hampton won the NEPSACC AAA championship with a 98-91 overtime win over powerhouse Brewster Academy.  It was New Hampton's first AAA championship in 18 years.  Karaban was named the tournament MVP scoring 86 points in the 3-game final.

I've not watched, but you can see him in action at:  https://www.newhampton.org/nhs-today/nhs-live     He's #21 wearing a face mask in the dark green uniform.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Most likely harmless. But this day and age, just reads weird to hear a kid quoted saying, “I’m also looking to do what’s best for my family, what’s going to help out my family the best as well.” Probably didn’t mean it that way, but almost cringe worthy based on the assumed dealings of many programs theses days. 

25 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

“Indiana has been the school recruiting me the hardest, and just after a zoom call with them I like their campus,” Karaban told Scout Friars.  “Their style is one of my favorite styles to play with and also me, the head coach and the assistant have a strong connection already.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-making-2022-forward-alex-karaban-a-high-priority/?fbclid=IwAR2VOHMmye_s5_2bbswrNiqH8LdsKaQ_MBqWrECWKij0Ja3hm4Gadkc2rqc

I know it’s a highlight reel, but check it out as linked in this article.

Extremely impressive; a very young 6’8” forward playing at the highest level of competition with a great stroke who gets low on the drive and is very quick with the ball.

YES PLEASE!

Zagsblog.com

Alex Karaban, the class of 2022 forward from the New Hampton School (NH) and the Expressions Elite AAU program, broke down his recruitment with ZAGSBLOG. The 6-foot-7 Karaban has received offers and interest from nearly 20 schools thus far but four are prioritizing him.  “Indiana, Providence, Marquette, and Purdue are the ones recruiting me the hardest right now,” he said.Karaban then broke down each school.

Indiana:  “They were the first team I had a Zoom meeting and virtual tour with. I loved their campus and style that they play with. Overall I am impressed with them so far as they check in frequently."

Providence: “Local school for me in a great conference. Coach (Ed) Cooley being an alumni from New Hampton makes us have a great relationship. Very loyal coaching staff and fan base. Also they were my first offer which means a lot to me.”

Marquette: “Starting to build a great relationship with the coaching staff. They are saying how much of a fit I can be for them as they are also in a great conference. They show great interest and care in me.”

Purdue: “I had a zoom meeting with them on Friday and learned a lot more. We are in contact a lot as my relationship with coach (Matt) Painter and coach (Micah) Shrewsberry is great. Their academics and basketball is very good.”

“I truly have great relationships with all coaches from all schools,” Karaban said.  Creighton, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Stanford, Georgetown, and Boston College are also staying in consistent contact with Karaban.  After asked about a timetable for cutting down his list and committing, he said, “I’m hoping to cut my list to 10 next year around this time or cut it after the end of the summer.  I’m aiming to commit in the fall of my senior year or after the season. 

”When it comes down to making a decision Karaban said he is looking for “academics, style of play, how they will use me if I’ll play, and how well of a relationship I have with the head coach.”  Karaban made the decision to transfer from Algonquin Regional High School to the New Hampton School at the end of his freshman year.  “It was totally different.  The level of competition was much better, I had more access to the gym, I gained more exposure, and my game got so much better. It was worth it for sure.”

He averaged 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 assists in his sophomore campaign. The Nike EYBL cancelled their season due to Covid-19 so he has found more ways to work on his craft.  “I have been going to my trainer everyday during the week for a good four hours working on everything possible, basketball and body wise. Also, recently I have been getting in the gym with my Expressions team.”

6' vid clip of Karaban in what appears to be a scrimmage.  Definitely can hit from outside and for being right handed, he uses his left hand around the basket very nicely.  I readily admit I'm not a scout but it did seem to me that he's got a fairly slow release on his jump shot.  Look forward to what others have to say.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-class-of-2022-forward-alex-karaban-summer-highlights/?fbclid=IwAR31Akt0PPXx86eW4qkHPgF_6Qh-LmN8SUxBqw4QY0XzXgqwLkM779JUOpg

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

6' vid clip of Karaban in what appears to be a scrimmage.  Definitely can hit from outside and for being right handed, he uses his left hand around the basket very nicely.  I readily admit I'm not a scout but it did seem to me that he's got a fairly slow release on his jump shot.  Look forward to what others have to say.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-class-of-2022-forward-alex-karaban-summer-highlights/?fbclid=IwAR31Akt0PPXx86eW4qkHPgF_6Qh-LmN8SUxBqw4QY0XzXgqwLkM779JUOpg

He can shoot it deep 

From Zagsblog - 

Alex Karaban, the 6-foot-7, 190-pound small forward from New Hampton (NH) School, says Providence, Indiana, Creighton, Harvard and Stanford are the five schools working the hardest for his recruitment.  He broke each school for ZAGSBLOG Saturday:

Providence: “Local school for me that competes in the Big East with the best of them. They were my first offer and they believe in me. I also have a great relationship with coach [Ed] Cooley and coach [Brian] Blaney.

Indiana: “One of the hardest schools recruiting me as they believe I can make a true impact for their program and they love my skill set. I have a great relationship with coach [ArchieMiller and coach [MikeRoberts as well.”

Creighton: “I love talking to coach [Greg] McDermott and coach [Terrence] Rencher. Their style of play is one I could fit in. Being one of the top teams in the Big East can be very beneficial for me.”

Harvard: “I’m one of the few guys they offered and they are a local school for me. They are one of the top teams in the Ivy [League] and present many opportunities outside of basketball.”

Stanford: ” I have a good relationship with coach [Jerod] Haase and coach [Adam] Cohen as well as coach [Camryn] Crocker who I have known for a while now. The opportunities that they present to me are unmatched and play at a high level in which they believe I can fit in.”

Karaban is also receiving new interest from UConn, Louisville, Michigan and Notre Dame.

Ranked by 247Sports.com as the No. 29 small forward and No. 130 overall prospect in the Class of 2022, Karaban says he plans to cut his list in the summer or early fall.  He wants to commit before the start of his senior season.

“I can shoot the ball and rebound very well,” he said. “Just being a matchup nightmare.”