Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Archie and Progress

“I look at basketball on a *~~deeper~~* level, man. I’d rather win 6 games playing basketball that my more informed view on *THE GAME* sees as good than win more games season by season.”

Literally no one ever said that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

26-32 Big Ten record.  Finished 6th, 9th and 10th....

Interesting. And also facts. There is a reason to believe what you want to believe. To me, I’ll admit slight progress. We would have made the NCAA this year. But mostly because the B1G built a strong strength of schedule.

We had numerous games this year where we were unwatchable.

My reasons for optimism.

1. Archie’s demeanor at the end of the season. He’s a fighter.

2. TJD returning. This is huge. As big of an impact as Zeller year 2? No, he needs help. But we might have the best player on the court in any given game in the B1G.

3. Lander joining but not like others. His impact will be less than many on here hope for. I think Galloway will be better than many think.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Interesting. And also facts. There is a reason to believe what you want to believe. To me, I’ll admit slight progress. We would have made the NCAA this year. But mostly because the B1G built a strong strength of schedule.

We had numerous games this year where we were unwatchable.

My reasons for optimism.

1. Archie’s demeanor at the end of the season. He’s a fighter.

2. TJD returning. This is huge. As big of an impact as Zeller year 2? No, he needs help. But we might have the best player on the court in any given game in the B1G.

3. Lander joining but not like others. His impact will be less than many on here hope for. I think Galloway will be better than many think.

If Garza leaves Trayce may be the best big man in the conference. I do disagree about Lander. I get he is a guard but I remember people thinking Trayce wouldn't even start in year 1. Even in the 2020 class Lander is a top 25 prospect. If Phinisee/Durham become more consistent and if Jerome/Franklin really improve I like this team a lot. 

Archie needs to get out of his mid major mindset and adapt is defense and offense for the better talent he can get at IU.  You cannot be a one trick pony in this league.  You need a semblance of balance, even if you identify as a defensive team.  

16-15 No tourney
19-16 NIT
20-12 NCAA
That is steady progress. Oversimplified, or just plain ol' true?

It is improvement but when the bar is lowered so far to begin with...

Look, I’m in the belief that 16-15 season was a complete and utter failure as was the 19-16 season.

The amount of blowout losses and losses to poor teams and showing no fight and no heart was crushing.

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It is improvement but when the bar is lowered so far to begin with...

Look, I’m in the belief that 16-15 season was a complete and utter failure as was the 19-16 season.

The amount of blowout losses and losses to poor teams and showing no fight and no heart was crushing.

Curious as to how the first season was a complete and utter failure? Because we loss to Indiana State and IPFW?

Curious as to how the first season was a complete and utter failure? Because we loss to Indiana State and IPFW?

16-15, blowout loss after blowout loss after blowout loss. If I actually typed that for as many times as it happened than I would get arthritis in my thumbs

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

16-15, blowout loss after blowout loss after blowout loss. If I actually typed that for as many times as it happened than I would get arthritis in my thumbs

IU lost by 15 or more 5 times. 2 of those being ISU and IPFW, which yes those two suck. 

Out of 18 conference games they only lost by double digits 4 times.

I guess there is argument for each side here whether that is blowout loss after blowout loss. But that roster was really bad. It lost its three best players from the year before from a team that made the NIT. 

This season we won 3 Big Ten games by double digits and lost 5. We had a great win over Florida State. Decent wins where we looked like crap over UConn and Nebraska. So we won 11 games by double digits. But 7 of them were against Western Illinois, Portland St, North Bama, Troy, Princeton, Louisiana Tech and South Dakota St. This team did what it did last season. Whooped up on a ranked team early(last season was Marquette), oky like crap afterwards and played stronger at the very end. And beat Michigan State. But still lost to Purdue. Has Archie beat Michigan yet?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

16-15 No tourney

19-16 NIT

20-12 NCAA

That is steady progress. Oversimplified, or just plain ol' true?

The conference-only efficiency numbers have gone the wrong way (7th in efficiency margin in conference games in Arch’s 1st year, then 10th, then 12th). Yes, the conference was stronger this year, but some of that is still worrisome: the conference got better for a few reasons, and some of them will stick (Illinois and Ohio State may not fall back much, for example). Still, while I think there are some reasons for optimism, that’s concerning.

I do also worry about the scheme on both ends. Arch stubbornly stuck with slow big + high hedge too long on defense and gave up tons of open threes. Things were better as Hunter and Thompson came along, but it’s still a scheme that tends to give up lots of 3s.

Arch doesn’t seem to want to adjust, and I hope he considers some new ideas on both sides of the ball this offseason. Currently he’s got a lot of time to watch film.

On offense, IU occasionally does interesting things but the big picture is less than the sum of its parts — even within the conference, many coaches get better production with less talent. 

He seems to have a hard time getting his teams on the same page. This seems less true with the guys Arch has recruited. Some have called this an attitude problem, but attitude reflects leadership. We’ll see if this can change. It’s main on-court impact is too many bad decisions, and too many give-up road games.

I wouldn’t say next year is a “put up or shut up” year for Arch but it’s definitely time to be past the perpetual tournament bubble. Even without Lander, Torvik’s super early projections have IU 22nd. The too early top 25s have them just outside. That seems about the range...a six or seven seed, give or take.

IU lost by 15 or more 5 times. 2 of those being ISU and IPFW, which yes those two suck. 

Out of 18 conference games they only lost by double digits 4 times.

I guess there is argument for each side here whether that is blowout loss after blowout loss. But that roster was really bad. It lost its three best players from the year before from a team that made the NIT. 

Are you trying to make the case that it was a successful season? I’m not sure you have a leg to stand on there.

The bar was set extremely low for there to be progress and yes double digit blowouts, I believe second most in IU history right behind Creans first team of walk-ons is not success