Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2002 IU v Oklahoma

Watching the 2002 national semi-final. The Hoosiers versus a prohibitive favorite Oklahoma team coached by Kelvin Sampson. Sipping George Dickels #12 Tenn whiskey.
Guess who wins? A nice evening.
Damn that Hoosiers squad had some tough sons a britches.

That was the season and year that really hooked me. I was always a fan before that too, but that’s when it went next level.

Cool, tough team. Guys playing above their abilities.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That was the season and year that really hooked me. I was always a fan before that too, but that’s when it went next level.

Cool, tough team. Guys playing above their abilities.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That’s the season that got me too. I was only in the 2nd grade and grew up watching with the family, but that’s where my most vivid memories go back to.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have watched as much of that 2002 run this weekend as well. I have a few observations:

-talent wise, I think that team matches what we have now
-that team had no fear of anyone in that tournament. For some reason despite having 11 losses, you knew that tournament was special.
-TJD could be similar to JJ if he gets his shot down.
-that offense was extended out to the three point line. This opened up all sorts of possibilities in scoring options and it seemed like it didn’t have to stall.
-AJ Moye and that’s all I have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

TDJ could be almost as good a college player as Jared Jeffries. However, Jeffries was 6-11 and could handle the ball much better. The difference between the 2002 team and IU's current team is that the guards on the 2002 team were really tough. Coverdale, Fife and Moye were not overly athletic but they could play. And, those guards had leadership qualities that seem to be lacking with our current guards.

I have watched as much of that 2002 run this weekend as well. I have a few observations:

-that team had no fear of anyone in that tournament. For some reason despite having 11 losses, you knew that tournament was special.
-that offense was extended out to the three point line. This opened up all sorts of possibilities in scoring options and it seemed like it didn’t have to stall.

It’s odd to look back because obviously that team went on a great run. But the 11-12, 12-13 and 15-15 or even the 07-08 teams were probably better teams overall. That 2002 team spent just 8 weeks in the Top 25 before the season and the highest was 20th and that was in November. Just kinda wild to think about.

The IU-Duke 2002 Sweet 16 game was on TV Thursday night, so I watched it, and I had two thoughts:

1.  Mike Davis's offense was way better than Archie's is (maybe someone can send Archie a copy).

2.  We need a much better point guard. Don't get me wrong, I like Phinisee, but he does not have command of the court like Coverdale did.     

20 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s odd to look back because obviously that team went on a great run. But the 11-12, 12-13 and 15-15 or even the 07-08 teams were probably better teams overall. That 2002 team spent just 8 weeks in the Top 25 before the season and the highest was 20th and that was in November. Just kinda wild to think about.

It's amazing what mental toughness will get you through.  It could make the difference between 4-5 less losses.

16 hours ago, Scooter D said:

The IU-Duke 2002 Sweet 16 game was on TV Thursday night, so I watched it, and I had two thoughts:

1.  Mike Davis's offense was way better than Archie's is (maybe someone can send Archie a copy).

2.  We need a much better point guard. Don't get me wrong, I like Phinisee, but he does not have command of the court like Coverdale did.     

Agree on the offense.  You didn't see our guards dribble very much in that tournament.  In short and no better way to describe it, it was like a dribble drive offense without the dribbling.  You had 4 around the perimeter with a big up high in the lane.  Screen to get a shooter open (which our guards were set and ready to shoot before they even got the ball), Big may slip the screen and have a wide lane to work with or dish off to an open shooter.  Very basic but effective set.  Nobody tried to force it or take an ill advised three point shot with the clock running down.

I do like Phin though.  However in this league, there is very little room for finesse.  B1G eats finesse for breakfast.  I think Yogi finally figured that out his Junior year and things started to gel better.

23 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

I think the '02 team the bigs were better offensively and obviously it had much better 3 point shooting. But yes, overall I agree.

18 hours ago, Scooter D said:

This is very certainly an interesting take. I am in no way saying Archie's offense is good, but saying Mike Davis's was "way better" is a stretch and really not true at all. And I didn't come away from the Duke game thinking his offense was any better or worse, just got to shoot a lot of free throws honestly. I mean they had like 17 turnovers in the first half....

For reference, Kenpom goes back to 2002. Under Mike Davis, IU's offense ranking was 26, 20, 120, 68, and 58. Now the first two years are good. but the argument and narrative has ALWAYS been those were Knight's recruit and he put together that team. The following three years were with Mike Davis's recruits. Not so good. 

Archie has had offenses at IU ranked 92, 82, and 65. Not so good either, but this past year included the most results with his recruits, and has been the highest ranking. I have no reason to think next season won't see another jump from that 65th ranking as the talent continues to go up and Archie continues to gets his guys. 

IMO the continued progress of that offensive ranking under Archie is the key to his success. If it is climbs to and is consistently around 30ish, this program will be fine. 

Mike Davis' offense was essentially Bobby Knight's offense without Knight around to make sure that it operated properly. The 2002 team was composed almost entirely of Knight recruits and most had played under Knight. If Knight had coached that team in 2002 instead of Davis they probably would have won the national championship game.  And, yes, the team's performance declined over time as Knight's recruits moved on which is why Davis didn't last.  It would be hard to define Archie Miller's philosophy with respect to offense. Part of Archie's problem is the players. The team has poor 3-point shooters, a mediocre point guard, and several bigs who can't hit 2-foot shots consistently. But I suspect the offense will improve next year if and when Kristian Lander is on the floor. If TJD and Lander are able to team up, the role players who are mostly now experienced might perform better as well.

Such fond memories of this game (and season). I was a sophomore. I'll never forget the day I came home from class and had a voicemail on our machine from the ticket office saying my name was drawn in the student lottery to buy two tickets. $160/each for both games....sounds unreal now. Row 32 behind the basket. I also can't believe just how naive we were to just sort of expect that this was going to be the norm going forward. There was another friend of ours who got his name drawn. He and 2 others had student tickets together that year so he told the other two friends it was up to them to decide who got the second FF ticket. They both ended up coming to Atlanta, w/o a decision being made. To prove how naive we (well, they) were, since one of them was a junior and one was a senior, they collectively decided that the senior would take the extra ticket since the junior might be able to go the final four and championship game the next year. Hah! If only....

I remember in the days leading to that game, Vitale was screaming his head off that they should reseed before the Final Four -- because you had Oklahoma (a No. 2) and Indiana (a No. 5) on one side and two No. 1s (Kansas and Maryland) on the other. ... I thought it was very disrespectful to Oklahoma and IU -- they did what they had to do to get there and for us, that included knocking out the No. 1 overall seed (Duke). Had the other two No. 1s (the Devils and Cincy) done what they were supposed to do, it's not even an argument. And that's the way the tournament had been run for years. Was just a crazy rant from the appropriately named Dick.