Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If you've never been through a meat or poultry processing plant as I have, it is an eye opener and trying to maintain social distancing in such a plant is a near impossibility.  What follows may not sit well with some of you but it is a fact.  I live in Logansport so I think I'm qualified to speak on the subject. Plus I think I'm in good health, but I am in the 70-80 age bracket so just a little concerned about what's taking place in Logansport.

The Logansport plant (and I'll make a broad assumption that most of Tyson's other plants) work forces are weighted towards Hispanics and Asians.  In Logansport, a great many of these workers and their families live in old 2-story homes converted into apartments and it's not atypical that 12 or more people are living in one such dwelling unit.  When they go to the grocery store, Home Depot or to Wal-Mart, the whole freakin' family goes along so it's not hard to understand why these meat processing plants become human petri dishes and locally we've experienced such a spike in confirmed cases. 

When COVID-19 first started becoming a pandemic, our numbers were low and it felt like living in a predominantly rural county would be beneficial.  Then we learn that Tyson knew what was happening in their Iowa plants but it was business as usual in Logansport.  Now we have a real local crisis on our hands.    

Fast food nation is a very good read and talks about the meat slaughter/processing industry.  Again, I am a huge meat eater, but I do know what these types of jobs entail.  Its an incredibly unattractive job with low pay.

The hillbillies in my area are starting to come unglued...drove by the liquor store yesterday and saw 10 cars parked with a bunch of dudes congregating in the parking lot. 

No Clorox antibacterial wipes on any shelves in Walmart or Kroger for the past two weeks. 

Illinois extending their stay at home order.  Will be announced shortly, but insiders say it could be up until May 30th with just some slight lifting (like state parks, golf courses, and elective surgeries).  Also is said to include mask wearing requirements in spaces where social distancing isn't realistically possible.

For me it would be a sitting-on-the-couch boot.

I’ve just been sitting in my recliner. Keeping my ankle up. Pretty odd happening. Just tried shooting some hoops outside. Rolled my ankle and ended up with an avulsion fracture.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

54 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Illinois extending their stay at home order.  Will be announced shortly, but insiders say it could be up until May 30th with just some slight lifting (like state parks, golf courses, and elective surgeries).  Also is said to include mask wearing requirements in spaces where social distancing isn't realistically possible.

People can still go to state parks here, but campgrounds and playgrounds are closed. It's weird because camping was still allowed at the state park nearest to me up until April 6th. The first weekend of April, I took a drive out there and there were a crap ton of people camping. Now they're all angry that it's closed. 

So...according to a preliminary antibody study(about 3,000 people), 14% of New Yorkers tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies. If the tests are accurate, it means that the death rate is much lower than what has been known so far and that enough people have come out OK from this to slowly open up non-high volume/density activities.

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-long-island-new-york-1.44047680

5 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

So...according to a preliminary antibody study(about 3,000 people), 14% of New Yorkers tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies. If the tests are accurate, it means that the death rate is much lower than what has been known so far and that enough people have come out OK from this to slowly open up non-high volume/density activities.

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-long-island-new-york-1.44047680

That 14% is only applicable in New York though. Other areas haven’t been as hard hit so their percentages will be lower.