Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

If this is where it originated, then absolutely. I don't see the problem here. Where something originates says nothing about the people who live there. When we as human beings get hung up on stuff like this, then I don't see how we possibly solve the bigger issues that we face. The direction we are headed, in my opinion, is leading us down a road that is not in anyone's best interest. Since this whole thing started I have been listening to Bret Weinstein's Dark horse podcast and have learned more than from any other agended source. He is an evolutionary biologist, as is his wife, and they have been the voice of reason for me during everything that has been going on. Well worth a listen, but YMMV.

Your consistent I can take that. When I asked my neighbor the same thing he just said I hated America.  Granted I don’t think he actually understood what the Spanish flu was 

I imagine there are a great many reasons why researchers don’t want to name diseases after the country of origin.  My guess is they think it’s overly simplistic. This is the second Coronavirus out of China alone.  In an effort to be specific you would have to say Chinese Coronavirus 19A.  And theirs no real benefit by he Chinese part of that there’s no real information given by the Chinese part Coronavirus 19A is just as specific. 

I googled that Bret Wei stein guy seems interesting. Very curious what he means by calling himself a left libertarian. I can’t wrap my head around that. 

Who is deleting my posts?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Not sure but I’m about to delete the whole thread. I don’t visit this train wreck of thread and now I see why. I’m guessing the other Mods have attempted to keep this thread somewhat civil and worthy of keeping open with civil discussion on both sides but that’s not happening. This is my first attempt to ask the people who post in these threads to be civil since normally I pass this thread up marking it as read. Please, everyone be a civil and respectful of someone’s else’s view as possible moving forward. I haven’t personally locked a thread yet but my guess if I stick my head in this thread again I’m going to be locking my first one. Thanks everyone one in this thread for listening

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your consistent I can take that. When I asked my neighbor the same thing he just said I hated America.  Granted I don’t think he actually understood what the Spanish flu was 

I imagine there are a great many reasons why researchers don’t want to name diseases after the country of origin.  My guess is they think it’s overly simplistic. This is the second Coronavirus out of China alone.  In an effort to be specific you would have to say Chinese Coronavirus 19A.  And theirs no real benefit by he Chinese part of that there’s no real information given by the Chinese part Coronavirus 19A is just as specific. 

I googled that Bret Wei stein guy seems interesting. Very curious what he means by calling himself a left libertarian. I can’t wrap my head around that. 

His earlier podcasts, there are 35 or 36 now, we're heavily about COVID-19. I mostly avoid this thread because I don't want to argue about things that people can legitimately have differences of opinion about. This discussion is nuanced way beyond what I have read here. Actions have consequences, some of which are unintended. The dialog, both here and on national scale, has become way too confrontational and way too black and white. There is a possibility that this virus is something we may just have to learn to live with. If that's the case, we better be working on a plan that protects the most vulnerable while allowing everyone else to live the most normal life possible. At this point, I will go back to my regularly scheduled programming.

24 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Who is deleting my posts?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not sure but I’m about to delete the whole thread. I don’t visit this train wreck of thread and now I see why. I’m guessing the other Mods have attempted to keep this thread somewhat civil and worthy of keeping open with civil discussion on both sides but that’s not happening. This is my first attempt to ask the people who post in these threads to be civil since normally I pass this thread up marking it as read. Please, everyone be a civil and respectful of someone’s else’s view as possible moving forward. I haven’t personally locked a thread yet but my guess if I stick my head in this thread again I’m going to be locking my first one. Thanks everyone one in this thread for listening

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh... it’s me deleting a ton of posts from this thread. 

The mods would rather not start suspending posters who have completely crapped on board rules. If you’ve called someone a racist, libtard, right-wing nut, or made passive aggressive posts specifically designed to denigrate another poster, I’m talking to you. If you haven’t? Bless your heart for not joining the nonsense.

The mods are currently having a mod board discussion about what to do about it, but rest assured that the status quo is not acceptable.

I don’t know how you could ever come to the assessment that our response has good and hasn’t cost a ton of lives.

We, the public aren’t getting the full story or the full truth. I don’t trust the things you trust. It’s been dramatically politicized and the media wants it to look like we are doing awful.

I don’t trust the testing.

I don’t trust the death toll-comorbidity, causation.

I respect that you do, but because of fundamental differences of opinion we won’t agree on how we are doing as a country.

I think where we stand as a country, so defiantly opposed, is far worse than the actual virus.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The mods would rather not start suspending posters who have completely crapped on board rules. If you’ve called someone a racist, libtard, right-wing nut, or made passive aggressive posts specifically designed to denigrate another poster, I’m talking to you. If you haven’t? Bless your heart for not joining the nonsense.

The mods are currently having a mod board discussion about what to do about it, but rest assured that the status quo is not acceptable.

Exactly why I usually stay away from this topic. I hope I haven't ever, and if I have I apologize, been disrespectful to anyone on any topic.

His earlier podcasts, there are 35 or 36 now, we're heavily about COVID-19. I mostly avoid this thread because I don't want to argue about things that people can legitimately have differences of opinion about. This discussion is nuanced way beyond what I have read here. Actions have consequences, some of which are unintended. The dialog, both here and on national scale, has become way too confrontational and way too black and white. There is a possibility that this virus is something we may just have to learn to live with. If that's the case, we better be working on a plan that protects the most vulnerable while allowing everyone else to live the most normal life possible. At this point, I will go back to my regularly scheduled programming.

Good post. The MDs I’ve talked to have said this all along. The flattening the curve thing, made sense if a major surge was coming. It didn’t, but we didn’t know. We didn’t eradicate it, never would have. Otherwise, it’s a virus. I am in peoples mouths all day long. I’m not a bit worried. I do what I’m supposed to do. I have a wife and three kids I hug and kiss. We make smart decisions and live healthy. We will be fine. If you are unhealthy, this is your cue to try to get healthy in every way. If you can’t and you are afraid, you need to semi quarantine. Otherwise, eventually we will all be exposed to it, and a very high percentage of us will be fine. The vaccine is the next thought. I won’t be the first in line. But I’ll consider.

You need to make it equilibrium ! Because so far it hasn’t been!

That’s fine. But have you ever suspended the other person causing the problem? Hmm. Playing to politics yourselves? Hmm I’m sick and tired of it.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We, the public aren’t getting the full story or the full truth. I don’t trust the things you trust. It’s been dramatically politicized and the media wants it to look like we are doing awful.

I don’t trust the testing.

I don’t trust the death toll-comorbidity, causation.

I respect that you do, but because of fundamental differences of opinion we won’t agree on how we are doing as a country.

I think where we stand as a country, so defiantly opposed, is far worse than the actual virus.

It’s one thing to believe we aren’t getting the full story. But do you think this is all some international conspiracy with governments from Italy to Iran and Canada to China all in on it?  

Testing isn’t perfect but it was enough for them to wage their fights against it. Why are the tests no good for us but effective for them. 

Korea was able to use these tests with basic preventative measures to achieve incredible success. It doesn’t seem like the problem is the test itself and more likely the testing strategy.