Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Dude, you've completely lost it.  What are you talking about?  

You literally claimed testing was at an all time high. You forgetting the stuff you have made up now. It’s easier to keep track of things if you just say the truth. 

42 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You literally claimed testing was at an all time high. You forgetting the stuff you have made up now. It’s easier to keep track of things if you just say the truth. 

I made no such claim.  Reading is a skill.  Here is what I said on page 154.

"Interesting as the number of tests are way up."

And you talk about making things up.  

image.gif

I would highly encourage you to stop ignoring things that don’t fit your preconceived notions of the universe and be willing to change an opinion. 

Attacks are up on Asian Americans 
https://www.adl.org/blog/reports-of-anti-asian-assaults-harassment-and-hate-crimes-rise-as-coronavirus-spreads

Nothing preconceived going on over here. Critical thinking skills must apply.

If you want to collect data on attacks and assaults against ANY GROUP at ANY TIME, you can create a story and form a narrative.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

We have a winner!!! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree with not focusing on a single national headline.  But I would suggest looking at the hate crime link # posted (which I am about to do).  If the numbers support An argument, media spin in either direction is irrelevant to the case.

EDIT:  Read the link and unfortunately it is giving anecdotal evidence and not numbers.  Two things I would say:  it is logical to think that there are more racist acts toward Asian Americans in the current climate;  unfortunately data for that specificity seems to be hard to find;  and opinion rather than reason seems to either inflate or deflate the reasonable possibility of the current effect.

My opinion.....China was negligent in reporting their information to the world which cost lives everywhere.  But at this point our response is the only thing we can control and that response has cost tons of lives.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Not missing anything. I am saying that you are absolutely right.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I found it strange that he attacked you when you had agreed.

would like to hear your thoughts on the link I posted which could help explain why the reported cases went down but that could simply be a reporting issue, not an issue based in actual number of cases.  I find it hard to believe that the cases lowering in conjunction with the switch are not related in any way.

15 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I agree with not focusing on a single national headline.  But I would suggest looking at the hate crime link # posted (which I am about to do).  If the numbers support An argument, media spin in either direction is irrelevant to the case.

EDIT:  Read the link and unfortunately it is giving anecdotal evidence and not numbers.  Two things I would say:  it is logical to think that there are more racist acts toward Asian Americans in the current climate;  unfortunately data for that specificity seems to be hard to find;  and opinion rather than reason seems to either inflate or deflate the reasonable possibility of the current effect.

My opinion.....China was negligent in reporting their information to the world which cost lives everywhere.  But at this point our response is the only thing we can control and that response has cost tons of lives.

I agree with the top 2 paragraphs.  Logically, I would make the assumption these actions are elevated right now. It sucks.  No one endorses this kind of behavior.  But posting some crap news story that doesn’t even bother to give any real details furthers the hatred as much as anything. There is no proof in a story like that.  

Your third paragraph, I agree with the China part.    I agree, our response is what matters.  I don’t agree with your final assessment and that is ok for both of us. 

32 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I found it strange that he attacked you when you had agreed.

would like to hear your thoughts on the link I posted which could help explain why the reported cases went down but that could simply be a reporting issue, not an issue based in actual number of cases.  I find it hard to believe that the cases lowering in conjunction with the switch are not related in any way.

No, didn't attack.  Just asked for a clarification.  Which I got.  Which is more than some people do.  

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

The Coco China Buffet in my community shut down for a few weeks after Trump's China virus comments because the employees started getting death threats. 

It is plain ignorant to blame the people of a country where a virus originates for the virus. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that this virus escaped form a lab in Wuhan that was conducting research on corona virus. I have no problem naming it after the country of origin. I also don't blame the Chinese people for the mistakes that the Chinese government made leading us to where we are now. I wear a mask where it is required but don't get upset if someone else doesn't. I know enough about the virus to know what I need to do to protect myself and expect that others will do the same. I am extremely concerned about the economy and am worried that if we are not careful the cure may end up being worse than the disease. This is just my opinion and, yes, I am in the highest risk group.

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Nothing preconceived going on over here. Critical thinking skills must apply.

If you want to collect data on attacks and assaults against ANY GROUP at ANY TIME, you can create a story and form a narrative.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Lol attacks are up is a narrative. Lol maybe your just ok with that narrative. Says a lot more about you 

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

It is plain ignorant to blame the people of a country where a virus originates for the virus. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that this virus escaped form a lab in Wuhan that was conducting research on corona virus. I have no problem naming it after the country of origin. I also don't blame the Chinese people for the mistakes that the Chinese government made leading us to where we are now. I wear a mask where it is required but don't get upset if someone else doesn't. I know enough about the virus to know what I need to do to protect myself and expect that others will do the same. I am extremely concerned about the economy and am worried that if we are not careful the cure may end up being worse than the disease. This is just my opinion and, yes, I am in the highest risk group.

If we are going to name diseases after where they originated then the Spanish flu needs to be renamed the American Flu.  You ok with that?

https://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/no-surprise-asian-hate-crime-on-the-rise/article_14cf7efe-2211-5a1c-81e7-224e6f696021.html

Yearly total was higher than 3 previous years by May 

https://www.voanews.com/usa/race-america/us-watchdog-tracks-over-2100-anti-asian-incidents

10 in LA months ago versus 4 all of last year. 5 in San Francisco versus 6 all of last year. 

But yeah it’s just a narrative.   Lol

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

https://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/no-surprise-asian-hate-crime-on-the-rise/article_14cf7efe-2211-5a1c-81e7-224e6f696021.html

Yearly total was higher than 3 previous years by May 

https://www.voanews.com/usa/race-america/us-watchdog-tracks-over-2100-anti-asian-incidents

10 in LA months ago versus 4 all of last year. 5 in San Francisco versus 6 all of last year. 

But yeah it’s just a narrative.   Lol

Critical thinking skills need apply again.  Don’t you think considering the current climate of our world, someone may be more likely to report this behavior than they would be before the crisis?  

There are ugly people out there doing ugly things all the time. I admitted it was common sense to think these actions are elevated right now.   But blaming Trump for these actions is the narrative, when common sense would indicate this would happen.  Same as it did during 9/11 and the Boston bombing.   Was that Trumps fault too?

From your article:

While racial slurs and other forms of verbal harassment constituted the vast majority of the incidents, nearly eight percent involved physical assaults, businesses barring Asian Americans from entering their establishments due to misplaced coronavirus fears, and attackers coughing and spitting on victims, according to STOP AAPI Hate, an anti-Asian hate tracker.

Fortunately “the vast majority” are racial slurs.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

See your mistaking any excuse to dismiss something as critical thinking. 

See you say I think I am a know it all yet this is another subject that the great waynefleek knows more than the experts. All on the gifts of his critical thinking.  More powerful than dozens of PhDs faster than a verified. It’s waynefleeks dismissal under the guise of critical thinking. 

All you do is say the experts are wrong to excuse your crappy behavior. I’d say it’s toddler like but my toddler doesn’t even do it 

I detailed my argument precisely, do you want to counter that with logic?  You post articles as your retorts but they don’t encompass the full scope of the situation and all the factors at play.   That’s why at some point, you need to use “Critical Thinking” to piece together all the information.  Cause and effect and motive.  

My behavior is crappy?  I am an upstanding citizen that lives a Christian lifestyle, treating others like I’d want to be treated. 

I’ll admit, I am intelligent.  All my life. Valedictorian, full ride scholarship, etc, etc.  I am also wrong in some circumstances. But I seek the truth.  Love to learn.  I am a bit of a know it all.  Admittedly. I am not ashamed of that. 

Where and when have I behaved like a toddler?  

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I detailed my argument precisely, do you want to counter that with logic?  You post articles as your retorts but they don’t encompass the full scope of the situation and all the factors at play.   That’s why at some point, you need to use “Critical Thinking” to piece together all the information.  Cause and effect and motive.  

My behavior is crappy?  I am an upstanding citizen that lives a Christian lifestyle, treating others like I’d want to be treated. 

I’ll admit, I am intelligent.  All my life. Valedictorian, full ride scholarship, etc, etc.  I am also wrong in some circumstances. But I seek the truth.  Love to learn.  I am a bit of a know it all.  Admittedly. I am not ashamed of that. 

Where and when have I behaved like a toddler?  

Making up stuff about people being more willing to report things currently being the cause for the increase without data is not critical thinking. It’s rationalizing. Your rationalizing something by any means necessary to rationalize your crappy behavior. In this case spewing dehumanizing hate speech which is terribly anti Christian. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Making up stuff about people being more willing to report things currently being the cause for the increase without data is not critical thinking. It’s rationalizing. Your rationalizing something by any means necessary to rationalize your crappy behavior. In this case spewing dehumanizing hate speech which is terribly anti Christian. 

I’m not justifying hate speech. You sure try to twist people’s words around.  

It’s common sense, that it would be elevated in a time like we are in. It’s also logical why it would be more reported. People that do it are the scum of the Earth.  

Never do I attack anyone personally.  And nothing I do is anti-Christian. 

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not justifying hate speech. You sure try to twist people’s words around.  

It’s common sense, that it would be elevated in a time like we are in. It’s also logical why it
would be more reported. People that do it are the scum of the Earth.  

Never do I attack anyone personally.  And nothing I do is anti-Christian. 

If it’s common sense then how did all those PhDs that are experts in this field miss it. 

Your mistaking your preconceived notions for common sense. And have nothing to back it up. That’s not critical thinking. 

Asians consider the Chinese virus to be hate speech. So yes you are justifying hate speech.  

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I agree with the top 2 paragraphs.  Logically, I would make the assumption these actions are elevated right now. It sucks.  No one endorses this kind of behavior.  But posting some crap news story that doesn’t even bother to give any real details furthers the hatred as much as anything. There is no proof in a story like that.  

Your third paragraph, I agree with the China part.    I agree, our response is what matters.  I don’t agree with your final assessment and that is ok for both of us. 

I don’t know how you could ever come to the assessment that our response has good and hasn’t cost a ton of lives.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

If we are going to name diseases after where they originated then the Spanish flu needs to be renamed the American Flu.  You ok with that?

If this is where it originated, then absolutely. I don't see the problem here. Where something originates says nothing about the people who live there. When we as human beings get hung up on stuff like this, then I don't see how we possibly solve the bigger issues that we face. The direction we are headed, in my opinion, is leading us down a road that is not in anyone's best interest. Since this whole thing started I have been listening to Bret Weinstein's Dark horse podcast and have learned more than from any other agended source. He is an evolutionary biologist, as is his wife, and they have been the voice of reason for me during everything that has been going on. Well worth a listen, but YMMV.