Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

You can. There’s no rule that says you can’t. 

Because that works well. If I were the family of the victims I would have sued them. What they put them through is absolute trash.

When we, as a whole, start caring about our impact on others over $$ we’ll start to dig our way out of this. I pay little mind to the news unless it’s something I need to know. Life feels better without it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Because that works well. If I were the family of the victims I would have sued them. What they put them through is absolute trash.

When we, as a whole, start caring about our impact on others over $$ we’ll start to dig our way out of this. I pay little mind to the news unless it’s something I need to know. Life feels better without it.

Now your just moving the goal posts. They are like any other big business.  Motivated by money but able to be sued.  

I agree we have to start caring about others instead of money but there’s no reason to vilify some industries and not others. 

Facebook isn’t media and that’s been far more destructive than Media. Especially since their lack of fact checking has forced pressure on media to break stories quickly without as much due diligence as in the past 

Now your just moving the goal posts. They are like any other big business.  Motivated by money but able to be sued.  

I agree we have to start caring about others instead of money but there’s no reason to vilify some industries and not others. 

Facebook isn’t media and that’s been far more destructive than Media. Especially since their lack of fact checking has forced pressure on media to break stories quickly without as much due diligence as in the past 

Please read, AS A WHOLE, that includes other businesses. I understand businesses are there to make money but at what cost to others? There is no moving the goalposts post.

So because Facebook does it then media companies should do it?! That makes sense. I’ve never heard Facebook claim to “giving it to you straight” or “news without bias.” Also, Facebook has and is being sued big time. They’ve also been under tremendous pressure to change their way. Another “media” that I shy away from because of their practices.

What the media does is vilify before facts are in. Get the story first, even if you don’t have everything confirmed. It is a ratings business.

The Covington kids story last year was a good example.

Alright...I’m gonna chime in as the contrarian to the latest theme in this thread:

People need to stop beating up on “the media .”

”The media” is just a collection of people. The vast majority of them are lovable and wonderful; the few items from a member of the media that may piss you off are far more noticeable to you than ALL the media that passes by your eyes and does not piss you off. You remember that article you read this week about the County fair or the new chimp at the zoo? There’s a whole lot more media doing that than pushing opinions on MSNBC or Fox. 

Some media sources are well-known to be, without question or subterfuge, oriented toward a political affiliation. You want less politically biased media? Read The Economist. What’s that? The Economist is kinda boring?  Yup...people seek out media that pisses them off because they find it interesting. 

Rant over.

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Alright...I’m gonna chime in as the contrarian to the latest theme in this thread:

People need to stop beating up in “the media .”

”The media” is just a collection of people. The vast majority of them are lovable and wonderful; the few items from a member of the media that may piss you off are far more noticeable to you than ALL the media that passes by your eyes and does not piss you off. You remember that article you read this week about the County fair or the new chimp at the zoo? There’s a whole lot more media doing that than pushing opinions on MSNBC or Fox. 

Some media sources are well-known to be, without question or subterfuge, oriented toward a political affiliation. You want less politically biased media? Read The Economist. What’s that? The Economist is kinda boring?  Yup...people seek out media that pisses them off because they find it interesting. 

Rant over.

This is the basis of Dakichs career 

4 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Please read, AS A WHOLE, that includes other businesses. I understand businesses are there to make money but at what cost to others? There is no moving the goalposts post.

So because Facebook does it then media companies should do it?! That makes sense. I’ve never heard Facebook claim to “giving it to you straight” or “news without bias.” Also, Facebook has and is being sued big time. They’ve also been under tremendous pressure to change their way. Another “media” that I shy away from because of their practices.

I didn’t say they were excused because others do it.  I’m asking why you are only vilifying them?

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

What the media does is vilify before facts are in. Get the story first, even if you don’t have everything confirmed. It is a ratings business.

The Covington kids story last year was a good example.

I’m not familiar with the story in question. But obviously they aren’t perfect.  But the media serves an important role in our country.  And we get what we want. If people wanted responsible well thought out journalism we would get it. But people don’t want it. If people wanted it the market would provide.  

People are too lazy to think they want the news to tell them what to think. You can want the media to be different but if they go out of business being different it’s not going to natter much. 

I’m not familiar with the story in question. But obviously they aren’t perfect.  But the media serves an important role in our country.  And we get what we want. If people wanted responsible well thought out journalism we would get it. But people don’t want it. If people wanted it the market would provide.  

People are too lazy to think they want the news to tell them what to think. You can want the media to be different but if they go out of business being different it’s not going to natter much. 

I don’t disagree that the media partially reacts to what their audience wants but CNNs ratings have tanked and yet they keep providing much of the same.

I worked for a newspaper for 6 years and enjoyed the people greatly despite being far more conservative than most of the staff.

With the Covington kids most major media ran with a story that the kids wearing the MAGA hat were racially taunting a Native American. CNN and WaPo have settled and other suits are still in process.

https://foxwilmington.com/headlines/abc-cbs-nbc-ignore-cnn-settlement-with-covington-student-nick-sandmann-report-says/

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I don’t disagree that the media partially reacts to what their audience wants but CNNs ratings have tanked and yet they keep providing much of the same.

I worked for a newspaper for 6 years and enjoyed the people greatly despite being far more conservative than most of the staff.

With the Covington kids most major media ran with a story that the kids wearing the MAGA hat were racially taunting a Native American. CNN and WaPo have settled and other suits are still in process.

https://foxwilmington.com/headlines/abc-cbs-nbc-ignore-cnn-settlement-with-covington-student-nick-sandmann-report-says/

Seems to me the system worked there. They settled the lawsuit which means the kid will almost certainly not be worrying about college money. They acted irresponsibly and there was a penalty.  The media is never going to be perfect. The important thing is for there to be a mechanism to punish irresponsible behavior.  

CNNs rating are up over the last year so not sure how they have tanked btw.  I’m a little surprised by that since their audience skews younger I would have thought cord cutting would have hit them.  

Rant over.

They may be “lovable and wonderful” but they are being used as pawns in the game of economics and politics and half quotes and misquotes and all other sorts of dishonesty to pedal the agendas of their bosses.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They may be “lovable and wonderful” but they are being used as pawns in the game of economics and politics and half quotes and misquotes and all other sorts of dishonesty to pedal the agendas of their bosses.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

You may have missed my point.

Yes, there are some in the media that spew political nonsense or at the very least absolutist opinions.

Why engage with those corners of the media? There are vastly larger numbers reporting on local events, or on non-political stories.

Before denigrating the media as a foul monolith, I think people should remember that what strikes them as foul is a small, vocal corner that they have deliberately sought out. 

Want to improve your opinion of media? Consume quality media, media that doesn’t pontificate on politicians, or less biased media! There’s tons of it.

As a for instance, I’m gonna cut and paste the most recently added stories in my local paper at this very minute. The biased scoundrel-hood of THE MEDIA(!) is non-existent when you read the vast majority of news:

HAPPENING NOW

Rant over.

I was a peeved when I had to subscribe to the Economist this summer. After a few weeks of notifications, I looked forward to my morning email that gave me what I wanted; here is what is happening, here are some of the possible effects, please form your own opinion. Wow, what a novel idea!

I should clarify my use of “media” in this context. Any entity that basis their possession on political BS or reports false and misleading “news” to drive ratings.

I didn’t say they were excused because others do it.  I’m asking why you are only vilifying them?

You were trying to reason why they do it.

Because that was the topic being discussed. I’ve vilified politicians and now the media on here. I’m quite certain most on here wouldn’t want to read a list of those I vilify.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

You were trying to reason why they do it.

Because that was the topic being discussed. I’ve vilified politicians and now the media on here. I’m quite certain most on here wouldn’t want to read a list of those I vilify.

No. Simply stating that if you are going to gate people for being motivated by profit then you pretty much have to hate every industry.  

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

You may have missed my point.

Yes, there are some in the media that spew political nonsense or at the very least absolutist opinions.

Why engage with those corners of the media? There are vastly larger numbers reporting on local events, or on non-political stories.

Before denigrating the media as a foul monolith, I think people should remember that what strikes them as foul is a small, vocal corner that they have deliberately sought out. 

Want to improve your opinion of media? Consume quality media, media that doesn’t pontificate on politicians, or less biased media! There’s tons of it.

So it’s mainly like a forum where it can be misconstrued the loudest of the loud are the common vibe when in fact they are just loud?

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

As a for instance, I’m gonna cut and paste the most recently added stories in my local paper at this very minute. The biased scoundrel-hood of THE MEDIA(!) is non-existent when you read the vast majority of news:

HAPPENING NOW

I think even people say, "the media," it really refers to a specific group. CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, TYT, Vox, HuffPo, NYT and others on a national scale with massive budgets and clear motives. You could even throw Fox News in there. 

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think even people say, "the media," it really refers to a specific group. CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, TYT, Vox, HuffPo, NYT and others on a national scale with massive budgets and clear motives. You could even throw Fox News in there. 

What did I miss?  ABC and CBS are now considered non-moderate?  Ducks as both sides come screaming why it’s the other side.