Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

I do think that the UE benefits should have been changed. Capped at 90% or so of income.  

Had I been eligible for Unemployment(company gave a severance so I wasn’t eligible) I would have been making almost what i am currently making working which is just crazy to me. Although maybe be a tier system  if your in the bottom 20% for your zip code you could have 100%  if you in the top 20% you only get like 60% or so  

I think the government should have also considered giving interest free loans for mortgage or rent payments. Keeps the banking industry stable which we are going to need to crawl out of this mess over the years.  

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Love the first part of your post about a drunk politician, but the second part? That's nowhere near an easy solution. There would need to be either a whole new level of government oversight to determine 'how short' someone is from their normal paycheck, or we could take their word for it, have everyone request the full $600, and be right back where we started.

Like many things, identifying the problem is far easier than identifying the solution. 

Normal unemployment is state run and usually doesn't cover a full workers paycheck.  You already need to give up your earning information.  They just have to work from there.   

A woman in AZ recorded herself destroying a mask display at Target, one line near the end was her asking if she doesn't have rights because she's a white blonde woman wearing a 40K Rolex.  She claims it was stress induced psychiatric break; she literally recorded herself walking up to the display during a profanity filled rant.

If it was a psychiatric episode I hope she gets help, but considering she took the time to turn on the recorder and record everything seems more like trying to get attention for a political statement.

18 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

A woman in AZ recorded herself destroying a mask display at Target, one line near the end was her asking if she doesn't have rights because she's a white blonde woman wearing a 40K Rolex.  She claims it was stress induced psychiatric break; she literally recorded herself walking up to the display during a profanity filled rant.

If it was a psychiatric episode I hope she gets help, but considering she took the time to turn on the recorder and record everything seems more like trying to get attention for a political statement.

Was her name Karen?  :) 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Just read about a woman breaking another woman’s tibia for having the audacity to ask her to wear a mask.  

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just read about a woman breaking another woman’s tibia for having the audacity to ask her to wear a mask.  

Seems a bit extreme.  We've lost our collective minds over something as minor as a mask.

This happened long ago, not a recent development. But yes, she’s a whacko and they certainly exist. The media wants you to believe one side is like her and the other side is like “pick a person”. The media is awful.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This happened long ago, not a recent development. But yes, she’s a whacko and they certainly exist. The media wants you to believe one side is like her and the other side is like “pick a person”. The media is awful.

That was quite the Segway to complaining about the media

I guess it was a nice segue. National media has been awful forever and social media might be even worse.

Quite sad really. The media, and its many platforms, are after money. They couldn’t really care less how they affect society. There was an incident in 2005 where the media reported some horrible news. I saw the reports before responding to the incident. What they reported affected many families and was not what actually happened. I haven’t watched the news for more than a few minutes since. **** the media!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I guess it was a nice segue. National media has been awful forever and social media might be even worse.

Thanks for that correction.  Been saying that wrong for a long time.  Not sure I’ve ever seen the word written before. 

Out of curiosity where do you get your news then?  Local news is just national news with a different name. Same owners 

Thanks for that correction.  Been saying that wrong for a long time.  Not sure I’ve ever seen the word written before. 

Out of curiosity where do you get your news then?  Local news is just national news with a different name. Same owners 

I collect it all (social, national, local, in person, and from both SIDES), look for agendas, weed out the BS, form my own educated narrative. I’ve been a part of fake news story in our own local media. My distrust of media started growing in high school.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Quite sad really. The media, and its many platforms, are after money. They couldn’t really care less how they affect society. There was an incident in 2005 where the media reported some horrible news. I saw the reports before responding to the incident. What they reported affected many families and was not what actually happened. I haven’t watched the news for more than a few minutes since. **** the media!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Isn’t that just any business, just after money. 

Why vilify just them?

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I collect it all (social, national, local, in person, and from both SIDES), look for agendas, weed out the BS, form my own educated narrative. I’ve been a part of fake news story in our own local media. My distrust of media started growing in high school.

Interesting take. I don’t see anything you say coming from one side so I’m not sure how unbiased you are being with your filtering but certainly interesting. 

Interesting take. I don’t see anything you say coming from one side so I’m not sure how unbiased you are being with your filtering but certainly interesting. 

I honestly hate politics and especially how it coincides with the media. I don’t know which is more crooked (both immensely). I don’t view myself as a liberal or conservative. I often argue points on both sides, as we all should but it never works that way. It’s clear from this thread what I believe about the Coronavirus but that’s not a umbrella belief for me.

For me..... shrink the government immensely. Give money back to the people. NO more career politicians that have no touch with the real world. It’s a crooked world, folks. But find things you enjoy and screw the rest because the system is too large to truly stress about. Don’t watch the news for a few weeks. Talk to real people. You’ll feel better about yourself and the world you live in. That’s my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Isn’t that just any business, just after money. 

Why vilify just them?

Because they don’t hold themselves out as a business.  They claim the are better than that — fourth branch of government, truth to power, blah, blah, blah.