Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

26 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That’s the major question. Can public health, Cybersecurity, and data privacy coexist?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

With how lax we can be with data privacy as it currently is?  I'm doubtful.  People wouldn't go along with being centralized at a government level, but privately operated would mean they'd sell any data they legally could.

I would probably feel better about it if it was done on the local level. From the communities I've lived in before, it seems like local officials are much more in tune with their communities. If they screw up and misuse the data, they can't hide out in DC away from their constituents. And in general I think local officials are more likely to care about the betterment of their communities since they're living, shopping, eating, etc. there year round.
I don't know my privacy rights in cyberspace, but I assume they're not very good. I guess the thing for me is that I figure these companies have so many users that they're not going to care much about me specifically. I'm just one of their hundreds of millions of users. And if I'm really concerned about it, I can just not use their app or service. But if the government required us to download such an app, they'd probably have people consistently tracking everyone. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to download it even if it'd cut infections/deaths to a fraction of what they'd otherwise be. 

Your first paragraph is where my thoughts went. If it could be controlled at a lower level where the persons responsible for tracking lives within my community or someone I knew I’d feel much more comfortable in terms of them not using it for profit or malicious intent. It would be a mother ****er to secure though.

It honestly depends for me.  What kind of structure the app is set up on and what can they do with the information.  I mean if they are selling the data to third parties then hard no.  If Jeff Bezos is in charge probably not, I kid.  Honestly it would come down to if they could somewhat control the data similar to HIPPA.  I would feel sorry for the Information Security team in charge of that.  For me it would all come down to the structure of the security.  I work for Lincoln Financial.  I know for a fact we get hit close to 20,000 times a day with various data mining softwares to try and steal our data. We have a solid security setup.  It truly looks like a NASA controls center.  Honestly it’s more structured than even hospital organizations not just localized health care systems.  I would envision something similar on a grander scale because it would be the most wanted data in the world.  Even then it wouldn’t be safe. 

GLBA is a mo fo that can cost a firm millions with just a little slip up. That’s be awesome to see the control center.

Does anyone use apps to monitor your sleeping, exercising, or nutrition intake? Did you know that information isn’t covered under HIPPA laws?!

intuitively I’m opposed to the because of personal privacy and what not. But realistically all that info is info that Facebook and my cell phone company are probably using anyway.  

Id be pretty hypocritical if I was ok having the info taken so that I can look at funny baby yoda memes and not help fight a pandemic. 

This made me laugh and partially true. What companies can collect depends on your state. Crazy that we’re in 2020 and our federal government is still using states as Petri dishes to see what possibly works.

With how lax we can be with data privacy as it currently is?  I'm doubtful.  People wouldn't go along with being centralized at a government level, but privately operated would mean they'd sell any data they legally could.

What if there were regulations that restricted the private sector from using that data for other reasons besides fighting a pandemic. If it were used they would be fined $x per instance?

Just trying to use this platform to get a feel for what people would be comfortable with.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What if there were regulations that restricted the private sector from using that data for other reasons besides fighting a pandemic. If it were used they would be fined $x per instance?

Just trying to use this platform to get a feel for what people would be comfortable with.

I'd prefer we have regulations like that anyway for data privacy.  That would make me feel a little better about it, I'm generally not a big fan of an app tracking my location so I tend to turn that option off when possible.

Interesting thought exercise though.  Easiest to secure if it's centralized, but a lot of people would be more comfortable with local level and from a security standpoint that'd be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

intuitively I’m opposed to the because of personal privacy and what not. But realistically all that info is info that Facebook and my cell phone company are probably using anyway.  

Id be pretty hypocritical if I was ok having the info taken so that I can look at funny baby yoda memes and not help fight a pandemic. 

This is so incredibly true!

• So many of the people that are spun into the ceiling about having info available for pandemic response have no qualms about providing info in so many other examples. 
  • So many people who are so spun up about a piece of cloth as government overreach are fine with requirements that they wear a restrictive unbreakable fabric restraint for hours a day while in their own private space (i.e. a seat belt in a car). 

If only those people knew how little the government cares about what the average person posts/looks at online. If only the average person knew how little time and resources there are to EVER monitor what the average person looks at. Hell, if the government had any time of that sort, dontcha think it would first be devoted to auditing the large percentage of people who in some way cheat on their taxes?

Rant over.  :)

36 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think that would be a great way to address the issue.

HIPAA (you may already know this) pertains disclosure of private health information (PHI) by Covered Entities (hospitals, insurers, doctors offices, etc.) and Business Associates (basically any vendors of CEs that handle PHI). There was bipartisan push in the Senate to pass something to expand the definition of PHI to include information collected by apps, but that got stalled by COVID. 

Europe has the GDPR, which controls authorized use, processing, exporting, basically everything of any personal data (regardless if PHI or name and address) of EU citizens by any entity. It is SUPER strict and comes up all the time when we engage with European vendors. 

HIPAA does a great job of dealing with what it was partially designed to do, but I think in today's world, US needs something like GDPR and what your suggesting sounds like a great way to introduce a bill about it. 

That's it ... NaplesHoosier is hereby sentenced to constant monitoring by the Board of Regents of the University of Kentucky!   :)

Not a problem! Hill Jacks don’t have computers. Still on the olé can and line system!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

50 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

GLBA is a mo fo that can cost a firm millions with just a little slip up. That’s be awesome to see the control center.

Does anyone use apps to monitor your sleeping, exercising, or nutrition intake? Did you know that information isn’t covered under HIPPA laws?!

I use an app to track my sleeping.  The way it was explained to me is since I have a medical diagnosis for a sleeping disorder it’s covered.  If it wasn’t I wouldn’t feel as good about the data they track.  

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don't use apps like that, but not surprised.  I do know that nutrition supplements aren't regulated by the FDA so people really need to check the ingredients.

I think that would be a great way to address the issue.
HIPAA (you may already know this) pertains disclosure of private health information (PHI) by Covered Entities (hospitals, insurers, doctors offices, etc.) and Business Associates (basically any vendors of CEs that handle PHI). There was bipartisan push in the Senate to pass something to expand the definition of PHI to include information collected by apps, but that got stalled by COVID. 
Europe has the GDPR, which controls authorized use, processing, exporting, basically everything of any personal data (regardless if PHI or name and address) of EU citizens by any entity. It is SUPER strict and comes up all the time when we engage with European vendors. 
HIPAA does a great job of dealing with what it was partially designed to do, but I think in today's world, US needs something like GDPR and what your suggesting sounds like a great way to introduce a bill about it. 

California enacted the CCPA in 2018 that started Jan 1 of this year. It’s not the GDPR but it protects California citizens to a degree that no other state comes close. Nevada enacted some data privacy legislation in 2019 while 6 other states (Hawaii, Washington among them) considered it but ultimately failed.

California was the first state to enact data breach notification laws in 2002. It took 16 years for the 50th state (Alabama) to pass it. There is still nothing at the federal level even though the language and regulations amongst the states is so inconsistent.

The federal government not passing any of these laws is them kowtowing to big business ahead of citizens rights.

I use an app to track my sleeping.  The way it was explained to me is since I have a medical diagnosis for a sleeping disorder it’s covered.  If it wasn’t I wouldn’t feel as good about the data they track.  

Interesting, I’ll have to look that up again after completing this paper. If that’s the way it’s written it would make sense. That’s definitely the way it SHOULD work.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Interesting, I’ll have to look that up again after completing this paper. If that’s the way it’s written it would make sense. That’s definitely the way it SHOULD work.

Let me know if you find out differently.  I didn’t dive that far into it once I heard that.  That would be similar to my dads libre checker for diabetes.  It tracks his sugar every second on an app.  I would hope the data input into that wouldn’t be public knowledge too.  He tracks his meals amongst other things on there.

38 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Let me know if you find out differently.  I didn’t dive that far into it once I heard that.  That would be similar to my dads libre checker for diabetes.  It tracks his sugar every second on an app.  I would hope the data input into that wouldn’t be public knowledge too.  He tracks his meals amongst other things on there.

Were you directed towards it by your doctor? What you are describing I think would be considered medical devices (or turning your phone into a medical device). If that is the case, then whatever data it is collecting is considered PHI and subject to the same rules of HIPAA. Fitness trackers, non-prescribed sleep trackers, etc. aren't considered medical devices and don't technically collect PHI under HIPAA. 

37 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Were you directed towards it by your doctor? What you are describing I think would be considered medical devices (or turning your phone into a medical device). If that is the case, then whatever data it is collecting is considered PHI and subject to the same rules of HIPAA. Fitness trackers, non-prescribed sleep trackers, etc. aren't considered medical devices and don't technically collect PHI under HIPAA. 

Yes we were both pushed towards third party apps that sync up to devices.  

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is 1) interesting and 2) off topic. The data is collected by the app that connects to the medical device? Is it then sent to a doctor?

That is correct sir.  The Freestyle Libre app is what my dad uses for Diabetes.  Abbott Laboratories owns the Libre, but they also own Glucerna and stuff like that.  My sleep stuff I hook up to is Philips.  Philips might maintain their own app but I doubt it.  I highly doubt Abbott does.  Those usually only have to be touched once a year once the template is built.  So they are usually easier to contract out.  Much like what boss man does here.  Once designed they work or they don’t until they are up for recertifications.  Long winded response but both send real time data straight to our doctors.  It’s pretty tripping looking at my dads rolling 24 hour sugar chart.