Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

13 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just managed to get tested. Got a priority pass because had 5 symptoms. Hopefully gets results sooner 

Did the swan and don’t get the big deal btw

I think I mentioned it here before, but my daughter tried to get tested because of a low grade fever (not quite up to 100.4) and a cough.  We have free drive through testing here.  Was going to take six days before I could get her an appointment and were told it would be four to six days after that before she received results.  Heard from someone else that did the tested and it actually took twelve days to get results back.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, Golfman25 said:

So are you for opening schools?   

Depends on the state of the spread particular to the locality as well as the ability for the school to provide the proper safety measures..  I'm for opening schools if it can be done safely. 

At my school, our safety plan is solid.  What is yet to be seen is how the students will respond to it.  Pretty good chance that if they don't, it could result in closing again as I am in an area where the spread has been a little bit high.  As of now, we are set to open.  I expect we will open unless the numbers surge or the county health official recommends closing, which is a possibility.

As a reference, in my area, there has been 15 schools in a two county area (the one I live in and the one I work in) that have had to suspend or temporarily suspend sports practices due to positive tests of athletes.  One school had to cancel their July graduation due to a student who tested positive on a trip who then refused to let the corporation know what other seniors were with him because he didn't want them to have to quarantine.  

My wife is a Columbus OH Public schools high school teacher and they are scheduled to be online until January. K-8 still undecided. She started her team's women's soccer conditioning 3 weeks ago with 6 feet distancing. Lots of cone drills and running. 

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Here's to hoping this trial is successful and we have a vaccine within the next 6 months or so. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/27/895672859/us-vaccine-candidate-heads-to-widespread-testing-in-people

That is fantastic news!  Hopefully all goes well, and with their accelerated timelines they could have this out to the mass by late spring next year.  Holding out hope this doesn’t take over all of 2021.  

14 hours ago, upperarlington said:

My wife is a Columbus OH Public schools high school teacher and they are scheduled to be online until January. K-8 still undecided. She started her team's women's soccer conditioning 3 weeks ago with 6 feet distancing. Lots of cone drills and running. 

I talked to an administrator of another district in a county that I'm in and asked if he thought if they would start back virtually or in person.  His response was that nobody in our county would be starting face to face -- including the district I teach in -- and that at this point the schools in the county (I think there are 16 systems, some with multiple high schools) were just playing chicken to see who would go next.  I think he may be right.  Numbers haven't been good in the county and the number of sports teams who have suspended practice keeps growing.

The IHSAA, FWIW, is supposed to give some kind of announcement on the 29th from what I've heard.  If that is correct, my gut says that it will be about attendance at football games.....might be something that they can only 'recommend', but schools not following would put themselves up for a lawsuit if there were to be a spread.  I'm still not convinced we will ultimately see fall sports at the high school level this year....heck, MLB with all of its resources is already running into problems.

Yergy's State Road BBQ in Bluffton is a family-owned restaurant that serves pulled pork and meat. I went there the other day and was surprised that none of the employees had masks on as they handled my food just inches away from their faces. Tonight, I found out why: the owner posted a video on Facebook that they will not be complying with the mask mandate. The reasons were, as I expected, straight from the Fox News playbook: 99.6% survival rate, there is no pandemic, it's just a virus, it says on the box the mask won't protect you, etc. etc. I've always liked their food and will be sad to see it shut down after the Board of Health gets ahold of this. Home-owned businesses struggle like hell to stay open in this town and it disappoints me to see them going this route.

Yergy's State Road BBQ in Bluffton is a family-owned restaurant that serves pulled pork and meat. I went there the other day and was surprised that none of the employees had masks on as they handled my food just inches away from their faces. Tonight, I found out why: the owner posted a video on Facebook that they will not be complying with the mask mandate. The reasons were, as I expected, straight from the Fox News playbook: 99.6% survival rate, there is no pandemic, it's just a virus, it says on the box the mask won't protect you, etc. etc. I've always liked their food and will be sad to see it shut down after the Board of Health gets ahold of this. Home-owned businesses struggle like hell to stay open in this town and it disappoints me to see them going this route.

Well you could eat cans of beans? Dip them in Clorox first. I’m mean you could!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Would like to receive some (serious) feedback on an issue that was discussed in a law and policy course tonight.

What are your thoughts on pandemic apps?
For or against?
Would knowing that they were government ran verse private sector sway your decision to comply?
Would your thoughts change if it was monitored by a more trustworthy source (to you, such as a university, company, or board of county or local officials)?

Overall, why would you be for or against an app that monitored your health, physical location, and implemented contact tracing via Bluetooth?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

25 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would like to receive some (serious) feedback on an issue that was discussed in a law and policy course tonight.

For or against?
Would knowing that they were government ran verse private sector sway your decision to comply?
Would your thoughts change if it was monitored by a more trustworthy source (to you, such as a university, company, or board of county or local officials)?

Overall, why would you be for or against an app that monitored your health, physical location, and implemented contact tracing via Bluetooth?

With cell phones and other technologies I'm not sure how much merit my issues with it have, but I would be very against something like this. We see a lot of jokes about masks being an infringement on 'muh freedumbs,' and I agree a lot of it is silly, but I think such an app actually would be a major invasion of privacy and infringement on freedoms. I would be very uncomfortable with some entity having access to my health, physical location, and human contacts. It's too dystopian for me. I more than likely wouldn't comply. 

For or against?

University ? Absolutely not! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

For or against?

I see some real privacy issues there.

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

For or against?

I have a CLE on this on Friday. A real intense conversation that is happening in the health law world. Data collection and health apps are already a touchy area, but "public health surveillance" is really putting it in the forefront.

If people consent to giving their data, that is one thing, but often times those same app developers are doing a lot more with that data than you think. When it is google selling your search history to ad companies and you get a message on Instagram about a trip to Canada, that is one thing, but something about using your health information for targeted ads (and lord knows what else) doesn't sit right with me.

If there is a real benefit that outweighs that cost, then that is something people will need to decide at the individual level. How effective is the app? Is it using your personal information or aggregating it so it can't be traced back to you? Does it share it with third parties? Do you have to consent to allow them to sell it? If it is through your physicians office or hospital, you have to trust they are also thinking about these things, that is why it doesn't hurt to ask!

With cell phones and other technologies I'm not sure how much merit my issues with it have, but I would be very against something like this. We see a lot of jokes about masks being an infringement on 'muh freedumbs,' and I agree a lot of it is silly, but I think such an app actually would be a major invasion of privacy and infringement on freedoms. I would be very uncomfortable with some entity having access to my health, physical location, and human contacts. It's too dystopian for me. I more than likely wouldn't comply. 

Thanks for the reply and answering thoroughly. Is there a level or entity that you would have more trust in that you believe would only collect the important health data needed for the betterment of your community?

If it could be proven that by downloading “boot COVID-19 from the US health app” would decrease cases and deaths to a fraction of what otherwise would occur, would you use it?

I’m curious to see how people truly feel about this and where my thoughts lie in the spectrum of freedom vs. public health. The EU has much greater privacy laws than the states and some are finding ways around those regulations to implement public health practices.

Do people know their privacy rights when it comes to cyberspace?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have a CLE on this on Friday. A real intense conversation that is happening in the health law world. Data collection and health apps are already a touchy area, but "public health surveillance" is really putting it in the forefront.
If people consent to giving their data, that is one thing, but often times those same app developers are doing a lot more with that data than you think. When it is google selling your search history to ad companies and you get a message on Instagram about a trip to Canada, that is one thing, but something about using your health information for targeted ads (and lord knows what else) doesn't sit right with me.
If there is a real benefit that outweighs that cost, then that is something people will need to decide at the individual level. How effective is the app? Is it using your personal information or aggregating it so it can't be traced back to you? Does it share it with third parties? Do you have to consent to allow them to sell it? If it is through your physicians office or hospital, you have to trust they are also thinking about these things, that is why it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I believe many people would be shocked about their (lack of) data privacy rights in MOST states. It’s already geared towards businesses sans a few sectors that are heavily regulated.

In a perfect world, ONLY your health information (location, temperature, has/doesn’t have COVID-19) would be tracked and it would be randomized where you would get notifications if you had come in close proximity to another person who had recently tested positive. Meaning, your information isn’t traceable to you until that occurs then you are sent information to be tested.

However, we live in a world/country of power tripping politicians, businesspeeps, and bad actors who would love to steal that data for their own self interest.

17 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Thanks for the reply and answering thoroughly. Is there a level or entity that you would have more trust in that you believe would only collect the important health data needed for the betterment of your community?

If it could be proven that by downloading “boot COVID-19 from the US health app” would decrease cases and deaths to a fraction of what otherwise would occur, would you use it?

I’m curious to see how people truly feel about this and where my thoughts lie in the spectrum of freedom vs. public health. The EU has much greater privacy laws than the states and some are finding ways around those regulations to implement public health practices.

I would probably feel better about it if it was done on the local level. From the communities I've lived in before, it seems like local officials are much more in tune with their communities. If they screw up and misuse the data, they can't hide out in DC away from their constituents. And in general I think local officials are more likely to care about the betterment of their communities since they're living, shopping, eating, etc. there year round.

I don't know my privacy rights in cyberspace, but I assume they're not very good. I guess the thing for me is that I figure these companies have so many users that they're not going to care much about me specifically. I'm just one of their hundreds of millions of users. And if I'm really concerned about it, I can just not use their app or service. But if the government required us to download such an app, they'd probably have people consistently tracking everyone. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to download it even if it'd cut infections/deaths to a fraction of what they'd otherwise be. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It honestly depends for me.  What kind of structure the app is set up on and what can they do with the information.  I mean if they are selling the data to third parties then hard no.  If Jeff Bezos is in charge probably not, I kid.  Honestly it would come down to if they could somewhat control the data similar to HIPPA.  I would feel sorry for the Information Security team in charge of that.  For me it would all come down to the structure of the security.  I work for Lincoln Financial.  I know for a fact we get hit close to 20,000 times a day with various data mining softwares to try and steal our data. We have a solid security setup.  It truly looks like a NASA controls center.  Honestly it’s more structured than even hospital organizations not just localized health care systems.  I would envision something similar on a grander scale because it would be the most wanted data in the world.  Even then it wouldn’t be safe. 

intuitively I’m opposed to the because of personal privacy and what not. But realistically all that info is info that Facebook and my cell phone company are probably using anyway.  

Id be pretty hypocritical if I was ok having the info taken so that I can look at funny baby yoda memes and not help fight a pandemic.