Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

30 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I’m pro science.  So I wear a mask.  Not because of a person, because of the science. Science evolves even if people’s thinking doesn’t.

So are you for opening schools?   

A county in Texas has set up an 'ethics' panel to decide who gets aggressive treatment and who gets sent home to die.  The handling of this was so incompetent there is now a death panel set up.  Personally, I'm glad I'm not on that panel and it'll suck to be residents of that county.

Per the direction of my employer I called and explained to them that this morning I started displaying 3 symptoms: nasal congestion, sore throat and cough. They told me to call my healthcare provider and so I did. I explained my symptoms and when I started having them. Their directions were for me to quarantine until Sunday and if I hadn't had a fever by then that I could return to work whether my symptoms had subsided or not. So based off of this experience I gather that healthcare professionals are concerned about one symptom in regards to transmission and that is fever. If that is the case then wouldn't a more effective and less divisive mandate be to self monitor your body temperature daily as opposed to putting a t-shirt over your face? It seems that either we are taking the wrong approach to minimize transmission or healthcare professionals are putting people in harm's way by allowing symptomatic individuals to be around others. I mean they clearly don't care about any other symptoms or at least not in my town.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Per the direction of my employer I called and explained to them that this morning I started displaying 3 symptoms: nasal congestion, sore throat and cough. They told me to call my healthcare provider and so I did. I explained my symptoms and when I started having them. Their directions were for me to quarantine until Sunday and if I hadn't had a fever by then that I could return to work whether my symptoms had subsided or not. So based off of this experience I gather that healthcare professionals are concerned about one symptom in regards to transmission and that is fever. If that is the case then wouldn't a more effective and less divisive mandate be to self monitor your body temperature daily as opposed to putting a t-shirt over your face? It seems that either we are taking the wrong approach to minimize transmission or healthcare professionals are putting people in harm's way by allowing symptomatic individuals to be around others. I mean they clearly don't care about any other symptoms or at least not in my town.

Wow.  We had an employee test positive with no fever at all.  So not sure what the Dr.'s advice is all about.  If it was me, I would go get tested.  Sitting around waiting and wondering sucks.  Good luck.  

Wow.  We had an employee test positive with no fever at all.  So not sure what the Dr.'s advice is all about.  If it was me, I would go get tested.  Sitting around waiting and wondering sucks.  Good luck.  

I'm not really concerned. I don't feel very bad at all and under any other circumstance I would have gone to work. Point is if doctors at the hospital are giving this direction I doubt they are acting rogue and instead doing what they've been told. I mean according to an overwhelming majority we are suppose to blindly trust the professionals. So if all of that is the case then we (the general public) are being fed a horseshit sandwich and being told it's a hamburger. If the real threat to spread is only if you have a fever then all of this other crap is what exactly? Smoke and mirrors, oversight, confusion, incompetence, error, instilling fear? I seriously am confused and even more skeptical than I was before which was already fairly skeptical. And if it is true that it's only fever to be worried about then life could one hell of a lot more normal for everyone right now because that is a very simple, fast and readily available monitoring system.

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I'm not really concerned. I don't feel very bad at all and under any other circumstance I would have gone to work. Point is if doctors at the hospital are giving this direction I doubt they are acting rogue and instead doing what they've been told. I mean according to an overwhelming majority we are suppose to blindly trust the professionals. So if all of that is the case then we (the general public) are being fed a horseshit sandwich and being told it's a hamburger. If the real threat to spread is only if you have a fever then all of this other crap is what exactly? Smoke and mirrors, oversight, confusion, incompetence, error, instilling fear? I seriously am confused and even more skeptical than I was before which was already fairly skeptical. And if it is true that it's only fever to be worried about then life could one hell of a lot more normal for everyone right now because that is a very simple, fast and readily available monitoring system.

As your brother and knowing our mother watches your daughter and watches my son, I am concerned you still think the professionals are the ones hiding facts. It’s been very clear to me our government has been hiding a lot of facts (more so than usual), going so far as demoting the actual professionals in order to do so. 

I hope you feel better soon. I agree you shouldn’t be going to work if you don’t feel well, regardless if there’s a known virus that will kill others or not. I agree that there is more than one symptom to covid that needs monitored, which I assume is why the doctor asked you to stay home for three days and watch for a fever. He noted other symptoms which are similar to seasonal allergies that are common right now. It makes sense to stay home when you’re ill, again, even if it isn’t a deadly virus you have, but more so now while there is (believe it or not) a deadly virus spreading quite easily. 

I’m more than a bit disappointed so many in our country (and more so, so many in my family) think certain people in charge are innocent and doing what’s best for our nation’s people. I predicted the return to “normalcy” and opening everything back up would inevitably spike the number of reported cases and likely lead the country to practically shut down again and go back to what was actually working. Even our own state can now count itself as one of a growing number of states setting new daily records. Thursday marked a new high at 954. Friday we reached 1,011. We’ll see about this weekend.

Get well and take care. Love you.

I have avoided this thread for the most part and refused to comment because it’s pretty clear it’s similar to our intolerable political system...two parties refusing to be swayed, even by logic, in order to maintain their own agendas. 

I quit

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I assume you're referring to me. My main point is that people are clearly being sent mixed signals. If you are showing symptoms are you suppose to stay home and away from others or are you really only at risk of infecting others if you have fever? I really don't know because I also thought asymptomatic people were a threat? If they are then why would a person showing mild symptoms be told to go back to work in 48 hrs? I'm genuinely confused and I'm not completely stupid so I have some sense to know not to just go licking everyone's lunch at work but there are a lot of people without that ability to think for themselves.

I assume you're referring to me. My main point is that people are clearly being sent mixed signals. If you are showing symptoms are you suppose to stay home and away from others or are you really only at risk of infecting others if you have fever? I really don't know because I also thought asymptomatic people were a threat? If they are then why would a person showing mild symptoms be told to go back to work in 48 hrs? I'm genuinely confused and I'm not completely stupid so I have some sense to know not to just go licking everyone's lunch at work but there are a lot of people without that ability to think for themselves.

No, it’s not directed at any one poster. It’s directed at the whole of arguments. I just can’t imagine what our current society would have done on December 7th, 1941 or the events after. It’s baffling to me that 1) we are so divided over something that affects use all, 2) that people believe anything the media has to say (I have plenty of stories where national media had reported something that was completely false while I was on the actual response team), and 3) that people are so hell bent on arguing over a flipping mask.

It’s cool if you look at this virus and aren’t scared by it, more power to you. However, is it that much to ask to cover your face to avoid possibly transmitting it to others? Do people really think about how they look over possibly saving someone’s life?

I guess I’m just disappointed in our country from the government, to the media, and in the citizens. I’m an American but will gladly move back overseas to a community that embraces the value of those around them as much as their own. Sad day man.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Asymptomatic can spread it, but from what I've read that's not as big of a threat.  Not everyone with COVID is showing the same symptoms; there was a woman that had it and it took doctors a few days to figure out what it was because the only symptom she had was a numb arm, she nearly died.  I can see where people are getting mixed signals, but I think it's less intentional and more this virus is throwing so many curveballs.

Asymptomatic can spread it, but from what I've read that's not as big of a threat.  Not everyone with COVID is showing the same symptoms; there was a woman that had it and it took doctors a few days to figure out what it was because the only symptom she had was a numb arm, she nearly died.  I can see where people are getting mixed signals, but I think it's less intentional and more this virus is throwing so many curveballs.
All the more reason you'd think they wouldn't send people with symptoms back out into public wouldn't you think? I believe people missed my earlier point. I'm not an "anti-mask" person nor am I an over the top advocate for them. I'm not Republican or Democrat. I'm simply a guy that is baffled by the absolute inconsistencies coming from leadership, scientists, healthcare professionals etc. If this is as dangerous and unpredictable (in what symptoms you can have) then why on earth would they tell me I'm good to go unless they truthfully believe that fever is the real threat? And to that my mask vs temp reference was to explain that if body temp is in fact the main factor then why wouldn't we be having much more of a push for that than masks? I'm not saying all of these can't help and I'm sure they can but masks are at the top of precautions we are being told to take and to me (based off of this experience) it would seem it should be thermometers which would honestly have a lot less fight back. Am I really only making sense to myself here? Wouldn't be the first time I guess.

22 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

All the more reason you'd think they wouldn't send people with symptoms back out into public wouldn't you think? I believe people missed my earlier point. I'm not an "anti-mask" person nor am I an over the top advocate for them. I'm not Republican or Democrat. I'm simply a guy that is baffled by the absolute inconsistencies coming from leadership, scientists, healthcare professionals etc. If this is as dangerous and unpredictable (in what symptoms you can have) then why on earth would they tell me I'm good to go unless they truthfully believe that fever is the real threat? And to that my mask vs temp reference was to explain that if body temp is in fact the main factor then why wouldn't we be having much more of a push for that than masks? I'm not saying all of these can't help and I'm sure they can but masks are at the top of precautions we are being told to take and to me (based off of this experience) it would seem it should be thermometers which would honestly have a lot less fight back. Am I really only making sense to myself here? Wouldn't be the first time I guess.

You don’t get it. You’re supposed to pick a side, fight that side to the death, and absolutely refuse to consider the other side. 

What kind of imbecile would sit back and admit that they don’t know everything? *shudders*

32 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

You have identified the problem.  The "experts" are all over the place.  We had a positive test at work.  No symptoms.  We had everyone tested.  No other positives.  So less transfer by asymptomatic infections makes sense to me from my experience.  They basically told her to wait X days and go back to work.  I said BS, get another test (this was at the time we where all supposed to die).  I don't think they know.  They are just grasping at straws.   

Just managed to get tested. Got a priority pass because had 5 symptoms. Hopefully gets results sooner 
Did the swan and don’t get the big deal btw

Not horrible but definitely not comfortable. I have an Army medic tell me that he was “definitely going to get a sample.” I’m pretty sure he was successful in getting the sample but that lot of tests were later ruled to be defective. Glad I was able to get a test two months after I had a couple of rough days. It’s more unpleasant than anything. Although, that’s coming from someone who has to jab a needle in their stomach twice a day. I can see where people have issues with both getting tested and wearing a mask but good **** just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just an FYI for IU as I’ve seen Clemson mentioned in another thread.

IU is requiring students to be tested before they come back to campus if you are going to live in the dorms, Greek houses, or campus apartments. They will be testing once you arrive on campus too. If you test positive you’ll be sent back home. They’re also requesting students to take their temperature and staying home if you have symptoms.

I’m almost sure all of my fall courses have been moved to online only.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 7/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, rcs29 said:

I'd say the healthcare provider you had gave you a pretty crap answer.  I wouldn't write that of as healthcare professionals in general.  I know the safety plan where I work would not have such a cavalier approach if I told them I had those three symptoms -- even if it could be allergies.

One item does seem pretty certain, though:  if you don't have a fever, it's very, very likely that you aren't going to have major issues if you do have covid -- but that really doesn't speak to you transmitting it.  Early studies had 99% of all of those hospitalized with covid had a fever (I've seen other studies put it around 96%, but the point is that if you have covid but never develop a fever, you likely are going to recover better).