Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

3 minutes ago, bigrod said:

This test has been around for decades. I know it's not intended to be used for diagnosing anything, but how long does it take?

This doesn't make you wonder at all why they have chosen this test as the standard?

That’s the million dollar question for sure.  I too will be curious if anyone ever announces why specifically they started there.

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Frankly I am shocked that Fauci and Cuomo are human and are capable of making mistakes. I had no clue. 

A week ago you were saying that by not wearing a mask or social distancing, someone is saying "it's my time to kill." Now that Fauci is shown not wearing a mask or social distancing, he's "just human" and "made a mistake." 

And hey, I agree that people make maktakes. Masks suck. They are uncomfortable. Sometimes you take a break from it for a bit. Sometimes you forget your mask. But when you're a high-ranking official who has been on people about masks for months, it's a bad look when you're caught slipping. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This was from a few days ago in Georgia (sorry for the Twitter commentary, couldnt find the video without it). I don't know how tight this indoor space was, but he's way closer than 6'. I honestly don't know what he was thinking. I'm not a big mask guy and I'm not worried about getting the virus, but I still wouldn't want to be hugging all up on people I don't really know right now.

Agreed.  I feel the mixed messages are creating more harm than anything.  

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A week ago you were saying that by not wearing a mask or social distancing, someone is saying "it's my time to kill." Now that Fauci is shown not wearing a mask or social distancing, he's "just human" and "made a mistake." Lol. 

Negligence is generally something somebody does on mistake. 

There’s a large difference between not wearing a mask in protest of idk what and being a strong advocate of masks who forgets to wear it. Ive forgotten to pull my mask up at work after eating.  

Don’t let nuance or situations guide your beliefs. They can join facts on the sideline. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Negligence is generally something somebody does on mistake. 

There’s a large difference between not wearing a mask in protest of idk what and being a strong advocate of masks who forgets to wear it. Ive forgotten to pull my mask up at work after eating.  

Don’t let nuance or situations guide your beliefs. They can join facts on the sideline. 

Cuomo is in a room full of people wearing masks. He doesn't have one anywhere in sight. It seems very unlikely that he'd 'forget' in that situation. Covid doesn't care if someone is choosing not to wear a mask or just forgot to wear one. It does its thing either way. He's around hugging up on people while maskless. If he is asymptomatic he just put everyone in that room at risk. 

Your talks of "nuance" and "people make mistakes" didn't start until the maskless people changed from "people who think it infringes their freedoms" to well-regarded government officials. I wonder why...

I wear a mask whenever I go to the store, post office, etc.  It's not a big deal and didn't feel like I lost any freedoms as I've heard some claim, maybe look a little silly but if it could help save someone's life that's nothing.  We all have a role in this, anything we do as individuals to slow the spread helps to prevent another person from catching and possibly dying from this.

52 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I couldn't care less about FDA approval. I do, however, care that they have not bothered to validate the test. Seriously, how can any educated person put any faith in a test that hasn't been validated?

You seriously don't think the possibility exists that asymptomatic positives could truly be false positives? What good is it to use a test that gives you results that you can't quantify?

So you can go on TV and scream how many cases are there are.  Drama baby, drama.  

14 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I wear a mask whenever I go to the store, post office, etc.  It's not a big deal and didn't feel like I lost any freedoms as I've heard some claim, maybe look a little silly but if it could help save someone's life that's nothing.  We all have a role in this, anything we do as individuals to slow the spread helps to prevent another person from catching and possibly dying from this.

Exactly. It’s not a big deal to wear a mask. My toddler that won’t eat a hot dog if it’s backwards in the bun will wear a mask now 

51 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

They didn't "change the narrative". They reevaluated the data and came to a different conclusion. Additionally, other reputable sources have been saying to wear masks from the very beginning. Hospitals, nursing homes, stores. Everyone not confined to their house was or was supposed to be wearing masks in May. There was a reason why there was a PPE shortage. 

And yet a significant number of cases have been entire families infected in their homes.   Just maybe, masks inside would have been wise?  

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Exactly. It’s not a big deal to wear a mask. My toddler that won’t eat a hot dog if it’s backwards in the bun will wear a mask now 

I mean, backwards facing hotdogs on a bun? Who WOULD eat something like that?

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

And yet a significant number of cases have been entire families infected in their homes.   Just maybe, masks inside would have been wise?  

My family was one of those families if you recall. Are you suggesting that there be an inside mask order? Again - what are you arguing? 

Just now, Chips&Dipo said:

My family was one of those families if you recall. Are you suggesting that there be an inside mask order? Again - what are you arguing? 

I am arguing for some common sense and consistency.  If you have a lot of cases representing infected families, then maybe they should advise mask use at home, especially if have at risk family members.  We do want to slow the spread, right?  

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

I am arguing for some common sense and consistency.  If you have a lot of cases representing infected families, then maybe they should advise mask use at home, especially if have at risk family members.  We do want to slow the spread, right?  

So now you are arguing mask enforcement isn’t strict enough.  Wow this Schtick is getting old. 

10 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

No you aren't. You are creating a strawman argument to detract from the actual discussion of whether you should do something in public with people you don't know to slow the spread.

The better way to not spread it within the house would be to make sure you do everything you can to not catch it outside of the house.

If you want to wear a mask inside, I don't really care, just so long as you do when you are supposed to outside of the house. You may want to let your neighbor who mows with a mask on know so they can sigh in relief that you approve of excessive mask wearing now.

*I would add that we are asking for common sense too. An airborne disease that resides in the lunges that 40% of those infected are asymptomatic but can still act as a carrier - it makes sense to wear a face mask and the literature supports that common sense.

Tests people, tests.....

All these cases, positive results, deaths (with/from) hinge on these tests. Everything hinges on them. All the data we make decisions on.

When it comes down to who I trust, it isn’t politicians or the media. I have to figure it out on my own.

It’s pathetic.

Also, same as college basketball recruiting, follow the money.....Politicians and media know how to be corrupt on impressive levels.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

So now you are arguing mask enforcement isn’t strict enough.  Wow this Schtick is getting old. 

Reading is a skill.  Operative terms -- "advise mask use."   Nothing about enforcement.  

Wait, hotdogs can be backwards in a bun? Which way is frontwards and which way is backwards

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

In Andrew Cuomo's case I think he's drunk off the newfound power he has and has no intention of giving it up. New York bars can't serve alcohol without food. But the food has to "substantive" enough. Chicken wings, not substantive. Sandwiches, substantive. I don't know about you, but wings are much more substantive than sandwiches in most cases, and wings are typical bar food. 

I don't know why they're pushing masks so much. If they thought they worked as well as they tell us they do, they wouldn't be going around maskless. Ether that, or they're psychopathic murderers who don't care about anyone around them (or at least that's how anti-maskers are usually described). 

Is there any good explanation for why some of the most avid pro-mask officials take them off when they think the cameras aren't around?

I’m pro science.  So I wear a mask.  Not because of a person, because of the science. Science evolves even if people’s thinking doesn’t.