Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Texas set record for single day increase of deaths and hospitalizations.  One county had to store bodies in refridgerated trucks.

159 deaths in Georgia over the last two days, their highest two day count yet.

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Our curve isn't flat -- cases, positivity, and deaths.  In just 16 days, our 7 day rolling death count has increased by 60%.  

And I sure as heck don't know where you are getting your information from when you say you see everywhere that Indiana should 'lock everything down again'.  Can you post links to those articles?  Because I sure as hell am not seeing them.

Over the last 7 days, starting July 15th, Indiana has had 10, 8, 8, 3, 5, 10, and 3 deaths. In a state with 6.5 million people. You do not shutdown a state because of numbers like that. People will use catchphrases like "one death is one too many" and "I refuse to die for the DOW," but the reality is that we as a country balance public safety and the economy on a daily basis. If the hospitals were completely overrun and doctors were having to choose who dies and who lives, that's one thing. But that's not the case, and it's especially not the case in Indiana. When Governor Holcomb announced on May 1st that Indiana was reopening, 16% of ICU beds and 7.9% of ventilators were being used by Covid patients. Today, those numbers are 13.5% and 2.9% respectfully. 36.6% of ICU beds and 82.1% of ventilators are available as of today. As long as hospitals maintain the capacity to treat Covid patients, we should allow businesses to remain open to decrease the economic damage as much as we can. 

20-29 year olds are now the age group with the most cases. They're also at very low risk of dying from the virus. It is ripping through the younger population because they have decided that they would rather risk the virus than stop living their lives for the next year. 

Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter are full of people clamoring for another lockdown. I can link threads if you'd like, but not sure what the rules on here are about that. Many people saying "if people would just wear masks we would be done with this already." The reality is that it's just not true. Even countries like China and South Korea continue to fight back potential outbreaks, and they are much more vigilant in combatting the virus. 

8 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

That’s funny right there.  Robert Francis haha haha. 

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Not any funnier than a Canadian named Rafael pretending to be a Texan named Ted.

It's the exact same thing!

Seems like Texas has posers from all sides of the political spectrum. Welcome to reality...politics attracts posers no matter the party affiliation or ideology.

BTW...It also attracts great people, but they tend to be less visible than the posers. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s astounding that you can even pretend to be unbiased to yourself 

Robert Francis is a clueless child.  I would hope the Dems could do better than that.  But I digress.  Back to Covid.  

Many states & cities now have travel and quarantine restrictions (and mask mandates) -- if you come from a certain place, you must quarantine for 14 days.  So riddle me this.  If the science on wearing masks is clear, and a mask will protect people from an infected person, why the need to quarantine?    

21 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Many states & cities now have travel and quarantine restrictions (and mask mandates) -- if you come from a certain place, you must quarantine for 14 days.  So riddle me this.  If the science on wearing masks is clear, and a mask will protect people from an infected person, why the need to quarantine?    

1. The clear science on masks is that they dramatically reduce COVID spread.
  2. Masks do not eliminate spread completely - if you are infected and reach under the mask to pick your nose, and then start grabbing doorknobs, the mask did not prevent that person from spreading the disease. If you don't wear the mask while alone in your car, cough into your hands, and then put the mask on when near people, your hands can spread the disease.
  3. What the mask DOES do a very good job is preventing spread when an infected person sneezes, coughs, or sprays saliva into it. That's why they are usually, but not always effective.
  4. If you arrive in a low infection area while infected, the 14 day restriction is likely to get that infected person past when they would be susceptible to disease spreading.

I'm no Purdoo science-ey guy, but that's what I believe is the epidemiologist/infecticous disease expert take on masks.

I know that a lot of people were against the shut down, but it happened. That part of the joint fight against this disease is over. Now we are trying to transition to the new "normal" and that requires all of us to work together to slow the spread until we either (a) have a good handle on the situation (which according to both the scientists AND the government it appears we don't) or (b) scientists develop a disease (which we still need to make sure we slow the spread because it will be some time before we can send out and administer over 300 million vaccines or however many we need). If we do this, then that will not stress the hospital systems and lessen the amount of deaths.

If we don't slow the spread, then I think the government (local, state, and federal) will have no choice but to take more drastic actions (which no body wants). This will lead to more people losing jobs; money; and, for some people, lives. Scientists and doctors have made their recommendations on what we can do to get us back to "normal" and it has the backing of local, state, and federal officials (both red and blue, including the President two nights ago). 

A lot of people were really concerned about the economic effects of the shutdown (understandably). From what it seems like given everything we know, slowing the spread is the best thing for both public health and the economy and the best way to do that (and not be locked up in our houses for a few months, which hurts our economy) is by: washing your hands and practicing good hygiene, social distancing when possible, and wearing a mask when it isn't possible. 

I hope we all do all we can to help fight this disease, stay safe, and help those that have been effected by this disease (whether physically or financially). This isn't "living in fear" but adapting to our situation.

Over the last 7 days, starting July 15th, Indiana has had 10, 8, 8, 3, 5, 10, and 3 deaths. In a state with 6.5 million people. You do not shutdown a state because of numbers like that. People will use catchphrases like "one death is one too many" and "I refuse to die for the DOW," but the reality is that we as a country balance public safety and the economy on a daily basis. If the hospitals were completely overrun and doctors were having to choose who dies and who lives, that's one thing. But that's not the case, and it's especially not the case in Indiana. When Governor Holcomb announced on May 1st that Indiana was reopening, 16% of ICU beds and 7.9% of ventilators were being used by Covid patients. Today, those numbers are 13.5% and 2.9% respectfully. 36.6% of ICU beds and 82.1% of ventilators are available as of today. As long as hospitals maintain the capacity to treat Covid patients, we should allow businesses to remain open to decrease the economic damage as much as we can. 
20-29 year olds are now the age group with the most cases. They're also at very low risk of dying from the virus. It is ripping through the younger population because they have decided that they would rather risk the virus than stop living their lives for the next year. 
Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter are full of people clamoring for another lockdown. I can link threads if you'd like, but not sure what the rules on here are about that. Many people saying "if people would just wear masks we would be done with this already." The reality is that it's just not true. Even countries like China and South Korea continue to fight back potential outbreaks, and they are much more vigilant in combatting the virus. 

With so much data manipulation coming from every angle, I almost feel a daily sense of “information overload.” It’s tough to know who to believe. But your post was really well articulated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nothing will be 100% gone ever, even with a vaccine.  The vaccine will probably end up with the same efficacy of the flu vaccine.  That doesn’t mean since masks don’t 100% eliminate Covid everyone shouldn’t wear them either.  I don’t understand why people get so hung up on masks?  There is also social distancing and general sanitation always included with discussions on masks.  It’s not masks only will solve this, it’s masks will generally help the situation.  This isn’t a black and white issue.  The economy and aspects like that you can vote how you feel come November.  Arguing on things that were over 2 months ago for most really does nothing at this point.  It happened.  I live in a state where a Republican is in charge and a country where we have a Republican President.  Ultimately they made the final call on these mandates.  I don’t blame them, but ultimately you get to make your own choice come November.  Best part of America.

2 hours ago, Chips&Dipo said:

I know that a lot of people were against the shut down, but it happened. That part of the joint fight against this disease is over. Now we are trying to transition to the new "normal" and that requires all of us to work together to slow the spread until we either (a) have a good handle on the situation (which according to both the scientists AND the government it appears we don't) or (b) scientists develop a disease (which we still need to make sure we slow the spread because it will be some time before we can send out and administer over 300 million vaccines or however many we need). If we do this, then that will not stress the hospital systems and lessen the amount of deaths.

If we don't slow the spread, then I think the government (local, state, and federal) will have no choice but to take more drastic actions (which no body wants). This will lead to more people losing jobs; money; and, for some people, lives. Scientists and doctors have made their recommendations on what we can do to get us back to "normal" and it has the backing of local, state, and federal officials (both red and blue, including the President two nights ago). 

A lot of people were really concerned about the economic effects of the shutdown (understandably). From what it seems like given everything we know, slowing the spread is the best thing for both public health and the economy and the best way to do that (and not be locked up in our houses for a few months, which hurts our economy) is by: washing your hands and practicing good hygiene, social distancing when possible, and wearing a mask when it isn't possible. 

I hope we all do all we can to help fight this disease, stay safe, and help those that have been effected by this disease (whether physically or financially). This isn't "living in fear" but adapting to our situation.

I had an interview at a hospital and they said we're having a hard time getting our hands around this thing, because of how much is spinning off of it.  As I've said, it's not just respiratory; it's impacting nearly every major system including heart, kidneys, neurological on top of the clotting issues it's caused in previously healthy people.  Autopsies showed blood clots in nearly every major organ of COVID victims, even younger people that were previously healthy, and clots can cause a range of serious and potentially fatal issues (it's why things like heart attack and stroke can be listed as COVID deaths if the patient was infected).  Any of those issues can leave a person with permanent issues, and we don't even know of any other potentially permanent complications that can spin from this yet.

21 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Why is it so hard to recognize the difference between the words “reduce” and “eliminate”?

On 7/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter is also full of Flag Earthers and Qanoners.  There has been zero actual serious talk about Indiana shutting down again.

But in terms of deaths, the last seven days are preliminary numbers.  You’ve cited 47 deaths from July 15th to July 22nd,  Check back next week at this time and recheck the number of deaths from July 15th to July 22nd.  Yesterday we recorded 17 deaths in Indiana — including 8 which occurred from July 15th through July 21st.  By this time next week, the 47 number you are quoting will likely be in the 80s as the backlog catches up.  I’m not using to argue for a lockdown, just saying the last 7 day death totals are ones that shouldn’t be used as they aren’t complete — it takes time for those reports to reach the state level and deaths end up being placed on the day they occurred, not the day the report was received,

20 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Nothing will be 100% gone ever, even with a vaccine.  The vaccine will probably end up with the same efficacy of the flu vaccine.  That doesn’t mean since masks don’t 100% eliminate Covid everyone shouldn’t wear them either.  I don’t understand why people get so hung up on masks?  There is also social distancing and general sanitation always included with discussions on masks.  It’s not masks only will solve this, it’s masks will generally help the situation.  This isn’t a black and white issue.  The economy and aspects like that you can vote how you feel come November.  Arguing on things that were over 2 months ago for most really does nothing at this point.  It happened.  I live in a state where a Republican is in charge and a country where we have a Republican President.  Ultimately they made the final call on these mandates.  I don’t blame them, but ultimately you get to make your own choice come November.  Best part of America.

Yep....you know condoms aren’t 100% effective in stopping a pregnancy.  I never heard anybody try to argue they were useless.

See here’s the crazy thing, we shut down and hurt the economy. Had we just done it for another week and then required face masks and social distancing. If that we would be over this with a flattened curve and watching things reopen not close back down. 

21 hours ago, mdn82 said:

200px-Freedom-Fries-Menu.jpg