Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 hour ago, BlueDevil said:

Got to experience the COVID test today. Sucks! In quarantine with no symptoms. Got a pretty good exposure and was required to be tested due to my job. Awaiting my results. 

Good luck man.  Glad you aren’t experiencing symptoms either way.  

1 hour ago, BlueDevil said:

Got to experience the COVID test today. Sucks! In quarantine with no symptoms. Got a pretty good exposure and was required to be tested due to my job. Awaiting my results. 

Sitting around waiting sucks.  You think every cough is the covid.   How many days since exposure?  Just remember 5 days is the median for infections and 11.5 days is like the 97something percentile.   Good luck.   

4 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Sitting around waiting sucks.  You think every cough is the covid.   How many days since exposure?  Just remember 5 days is the median for infections and 11.5 days is like the 97something percentile.   Good luck.   

Tomorrow will be day 7 since exposure 

On 7/20/2020 at 7:44 AM, Golfman25 said:

Can anyone explain California?  June 18 they issued a mask mandate.  7 day average of cases 3372.  Today 7 day avg is 9057.  Hardly a red state.  Are they not complying?  What's happening there?  

I FOUND THE BEST CALIFORNIA VIDEO EVER!! You guys gotta see this - two very funny guys doing their best Jeff Spicoli/Fast Times impression, trying to hand out masks on Huntington Beach, California. One of their conversations from the video:

• "Do you wear a mask?"
  • "F___ you"
  • "I think he's coming back. Do you need a mask?"
  • "Come here"
  • "Get ready to run"
  • "What else do you want. Now look it. You're not making my f______ rights and not my rights.
  • "We're just trying too hand out..."
  • "I don't give a f___ what you're trying to do. You believe in a mask, I don't."
  • "That's cool"
  • "F______ leave it alone, or if you want some of me come and get this."
  • "No, we're not trying to fight anyone, we're just trying to hand out masks."

Enjoy:

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I FOUND THE BEST CALIFORNIA VIDEO EVER!! You guys gotta see this - two very funny guys doing their best Jeff Spicoli/Fast Times impression, trying to hand out masks on Huntington Beach, California. One of their conversations from the video:

• "Do you wear a mask?"
  • "F___ you"
  • "I think he's coming back. Do you need a mask?"
  • "Come here"
  • "Get ready to run"
  • "What else do you want. Now look it. You're not making my f______ rights and not my rights.
  • "We're just trying too hand out..."
  • "I don't give a f___ what you're trying to do. You believe in a mask, I don't."
  • "That's cool"
  • "F______ leave it alone, or if you want some of me come and get this."
  • "No, we're not trying to fight anyone, we're just trying to hand out masks."

Enjoy:

I see a bunch of people outside, socially distanced, being harassed.  I can appreciate the humor, but the reality is these people aren’t coming into those guys space.   

59 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I see a bunch of people outside, socially distanced, being harassed.  I can appreciate the humor, but the reality is these people aren’t coming into those guys space.   

I exercise outside and hang out with my immediate family without a mask for sure. It's so, so true that the socially distanced people in the video just had to say - "There's no one within six feet of me!" 

So some of the people filmed are in that status, but for sure some of the people in the video are hanging out in close contact with their buds. 

And...some are socially distanced, but make it very clear that they will never take precautions, whether they're socially distanced or not!

I don’t know how everyone else’s school district is, but Huntington’s is looking like 1/4 - 1/2 will be virtual.  We aren’t very big and a large portion already signed up for virtual.  After the school board meeting there is expected to be a lot more going virtual.  We were already at close to a 1/4 before the meeting.  Ours had vocal parents on both end of the spectrum voicing opinions.  Pretty much they will highly recommend masks, especially in the halls and at lunch.  They stopped short of mandating masks.  But their planning did not make many people happy.  On either side really.  It seemed all wanted one way or the other and that will lead to a high amount of virtual.  Any kid has the option once to switch.  On the flip side our Catholic School is about as detailed as anyone I have seen.  They had about every situation laid out and pretty much it starts with you don’t come through the doors without a mask.  Very few instances is it aloud to not wear one.  Beyond that lunches, pickup and drop offs were laid out by grade.  Will be interesting.  

Or they could have just pointed to the mask they already had to show that when they get within that 6’ bubble they would be able to put a mask on to protect themselves and others..

I’ve noticed in Btown that more often than not when I’m out walking that people coming the other way will go off the sidewalk to get that distance as we pass. I tend to do the same. What does it hurt...?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Holcomb just announced a mask mandate order starting July 27

I have said it before and I will say it again, I really have been impressed by him during this pandemic.  

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I have said it before and I will say it again, I really have been impressed by him during this pandemic.  

I am not a fan of his in general but I think he’s made evidence based decisions based on the science. With a fair balance between risk and economics. 

Basically I wish he had been put in charge of a national response 

36 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I am not a fan of his in general but I think he’s made evidence based decisions based on the science. With a fair balance between risk and economics. 

Basically I wish he had been put in charge of a national response 

I just feel he has been consistent throughout.  He has paused at various stages when the cases went up after threatening to do just that.    His messaging was consistent on cases, what we need to do, and some cause and effect of this whole thing.  Some states are just hard to watch their governor speak, because I don’t even think they believe what is coming out of their mouth.  On both sides of the aisle.  

8 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I don’t know how everyone else’s school district is, but Huntington’s is looking like 1/4 - 1/2 will be virtual.  We aren’t very big and a large portion already signed up for virtual.  After the school board meeting there is expected to be a lot more going virtual.  We were already at close to a 1/4 before the meeting.  Ours had vocal parents on both end of the spectrum voicing opinions.  Pretty much they will highly recommend masks, especially in the halls and at lunch.  They stopped short of mandating masks.  But their planning did not make many people happy.  On either side really.  It seemed all wanted one way or the other and that will lead to a high amount of virtual.  Any kid has the option once to switch.  On the flip side our Catholic School is about as detailed as anyone I have seen.  They had about every situation laid out and pretty much it starts with you don’t come through the doors without a mask.  Very few instances is it aloud to not wear one.  Beyond that lunches, pickup and drop offs were laid out by grade.  Will be interesting.  

Around me, school board meetings are currently seeing two things:

1.  incredibly vocal parents or guardians and

2.  very few actual parents attending those meetings.

The vitriol is getting way out of hand from those who don't think their kid should ever have to wear a mask to those who feel that the school's plans are not going far enough.  

Side note, and something I just don't get.  I've dealt with a lot of helicopter parents who will not accept it when their 'little Johny' is told that he can't do something.  Why is it that some parents feel that their child is capable of doing anything -- i.e., Little Johny is going to be an engineer despite his 1.5 GPA -- EXCEPT be able to wear a mask?  I'm not talking about those who view it as a 'freedom' issue, but rather those who think that their child can overcome any obstacle in life except a piece of cloth?

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Or they could have just pointed to the mask they already had to show that when they get within that 6’ bubble they would be able to put a mask on to protect themselves and others..

I’ve noticed in Btown that more often than not when I’m out walking that people coming the other way will go off the sidewalk to get that distance as we pass. I tend to do the same. What does it hurt...?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I do the same, step off of the sidewalk when people pass.  Others when I'm out I haven't noticed doing it, but I typically do it far enough in advance that some who would do the same would have done it as well.

The worst people I have encountered on walks have been the power walking 40 to 50 year old woman (I call them calf workout Karens) who nearly bowl me over from behind without so much as a courtesy 'coming through'.  I mean, even before corona, I didn't really want to catch a whiff of the fake chanel they're wearing as they passed by.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:03 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sweden's economy was the least affected in Europe. Their economy fared better than anyone else's in Europe, their deaths are in line with or similar to many other European countries, and their hospitals/ICUs were never overwhelmed. It's impossible not to see Sweden as a resounding success comparatively. 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sweden-coronavirus-economy-relaxed-lockdown-stronger-rest-of-europe-2020-7-1029415101#

Not sure why we close a blind eye to the countries in actual comparable situations to them.  I mean, England literally has 8 times the population density of Sweden.    Nordic country death rates per one million

Sweden 561

Denmark 105

Finland 59

Norway 47

Iceland 29

45 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Texas set record for single day increase of deaths and hospitalizations.  One county had to store bodies in refridgerated trucks.

Beto o Rourke is hammering the Governor on this. Dude might be the governor in 2022 and this issue will likely be the reason. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Not sure why we close a blind eye to the countries in actual comparable situations to them.  I mean, England literally has 8 times the population density of Sweden.    Nordic country death rates per one million

Sweden 561

Denmark 105

Finland 59

Norway 47

Iceland 29

Sweden's deaths are high because they didn't do a good enough job protecting nursing homes. Some 70% of their deaths were in nursing homes. 

For months we were told that economically ruinous lockdowns were the only way we could stop all our hospitals from being overrun and the healthcare system as a whole from collapsing. Sweden shows that that's not true. They didn't shutdown. Their hospitals were not overwhelmed. They never ran out of hospital or ICU beds. And their economy, unsurprisingly, is faring better than every other economy in Europe. 

The goalposts have been shifted from "flatten the curve so hospitals aren't overrun" to "do everything you possibly can to keep deaths as low as possible until a vaccine comes out." That's not feasible if we still want to have a country left after covid is over.

Fewer ICU beds, hospital beds, and ventilators are being used in Indiana by covid patients today than were being used 11.5 weeks ago when Indiana reopened. Yet everywhere I go online I see people want to shut everything back down. The default reaction to bad news always seems to be "lockdown now!" 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sweden's deaths are high because they didn't do a good enough job protecting nursing homes. Some 70% of their deaths were in nursing homes. 

Remove all nursing home deaths and go with the nonsense assumption that none of the other Nordic countries had nursing home deaths and Sweden's death rate is STILL 60% higher than Denmark's, triple Finland's, quadruple Norway's, and six times Iceland's.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The goalposts have been shifted from "flatten the curve so hospitals aren't overrun" to "do everything you possibly can to keep deaths as low as possible until a vaccine comes out." That's not feasible if we still want to have a country left after covid is over.

Our curve isn't flat -- cases, positivity, and deaths.  In just 16 days, our 7 day rolling death count has increased by 60%.  

And I sure as heck don't know where you are getting your information from when you say you see everywhere that Indiana should 'lock everything down again'.  Can you post links to those articles?  Because I sure as hell am not seeing them.