Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Combine summer, states loosening up and the riots/protests and it is not surprising. Add the CDC counting mistakes and the inconsistency between distancing and masks if at some places but not if on beaches or protesting and I get why people have a hard time trusting government right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Combine summer, states loosening up and the riots/protests and it is not surprising. Add the CDC counting mistakes and the inconsistency between distancing and masks if at some places but not if on beaches or protesting and I get why people have a hard time trusting government right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agreed.  We need a unified message one way or the other.  It wouldn’t help everyone.  But we sure could control this better than we have.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

Very early stages, but looks like our friends across the pond has seen some promise in the early stages of a vaccine (apparently derived from the common cold for chimps?). Usually don't pay too much mind at things like this, but with multiple trust worthy news sources reporting on it thought it would be a nice bit of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy topic. 

49 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

Very early stages, but looks like our friends across the pond has seen some promise in the early stages of a vaccine (apparently derived from the common cold for chimps?). Usually don't pay too much mind at things like this, but with multiple trust worthy news sources reporting on it thought it would be a nice bit of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy topic. 

There has been a lot of end of the tunnel light for both vaccines and treatment in the past week.

Hold-on-hold-out good people. In about six months we should be looking at a whole different, and much better scenario.

IMG_1595163148.507050.thumb.jpg.b7e83846191d682254285b7a1c136ebb.jpgIMG_1595163156.471664.thumb.jpg.12de7982b23d889d4fe579cd1d966b57.jpgIMG_1595163164.759958.thumb.jpg.0974743624e5b8c450df24840bea797d.jpgIMG_1595163170.438032.thumb.jpg.98c52264aa5e80770fa0203e69218aac.jpgIMG_1595163175.635138.thumb.jpg.313e5a0dbed307016c09fc7c022e7f9e.jpgIMG_1595163180.940131.thumb.jpg.c3986d6a5edc25ac0c3f52a23035d65a.jpg

I’m not here to argue with anyone, these were taken directly from the coronavirus.in.gov website. Just wanted to point out that things for us Hoosiers seem to be getting better in the state. Indiana has a little over 2600 total deaths in the state and nearly half of them came from nursing homes. Testing has gone up, which means more positive results, but most importantly, daily deaths and hospitalizations continue to decline as well as the amount of those Covid patients actually being in an ICU bed or on a ventilator. I see this as a major positive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Anyone see a similar graphic for the Florida ICU bed usage by day? Florida is apparently out of ICU beds but from this update on the CDC page only about 20-25% of those are being used by Covid patients. I know this last update was a few days ago but I am curious if the high ICU utilization was like here where most of that was non Covid related.

IMG_1664.jpg

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Anyone see a similar graphic for the Florida ICU bed usage by day? Florida is apparently out of ICU beds but from this update on the CDC page only about 20-25% of those are being used by Covid patients. I know this last update was a few days ago but I am curious if the high ICU utilization was like here where most of that was non Covid related.

IMG_1664.jpg

They have said most hospital are normally at 80+ pct. use of ICU beds.  That's why the media "alarm" is misleading.  The real question they should be asking is what their surge capacity is. 

They have said most hospital are normally at 80+ pct. use of ICU beds.  That's why the media "alarm" is misleading.  The real question they should be asking is what their surge capacity is. 

That seems high unless the covidactnow site has built that in. It has been showing Indiana at between 15% and 25% for a few weeks now.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, TheWatShot said:

I think we'd be in a better spot right now if masks had been made a priority early on. Federal leadership could have found a way to make it patriotic. "Make a mask for yourself, make masks for your family, make masks for your friends! It's the American thing to do!" More businesses probably could have stayed open, the curve probably flattens earlier, and we would be a lot closer to normal than we currently are.

Imagine if Trump tweeted new styles of masks every week, instead of all the stupid **** he tweets now. But instead of making this a patriotic campaign, he had to be a macho-man and act like wearing a mask and showing compassion for others is a sign of weakness. Now most of his followers are anti-mask and abhorrently anti-media. Look where it's gotten us.

It's sad/funny that I had this idea 11 days before the president did. Funny how the pressure of losing voters can cause someone to so drastically alter their opinion. 

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I would argue that the alarm should be in how quickly our health care system reaches capacity.  

I guess I don't get blaming the media when ICU beds are full.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:58 AM, jbell833 said:

IMG_1595163148.507050.jpgIMG_1595163156.471664.jpgIMG_1595163164.759958.jpgIMG_1595163170.438032.jpgIMG_1595163175.635138.jpgIMG_1595163180.940131.jpg

I’m not here to argue with anyone, these were taken directly from the coronavirus.in.gov website. Just wanted to point out that things for us Hoosiers seem to be getting better in the state. Indiana has a little over 2600 total deaths in the state and nearly half of them came from nursing homes. Testing has gone up, which means more positive results, but most importantly, daily deaths and hospitalizations continue to decline as well as the amount of those Covid patients actually being in an ICU bed or on a ventilator. I see this as a major positive.

Things have gotten better in Indiana, but it is worth pointing out that in the past two to three weeks they really haven't.  You have to keep in mind that on the daily death totals take some time to hit the charts -- i.e., if on 7/19 the state says there are just two deaths on 7/18, you are going to see deaths added on to 7/19 for the next few days to a week as the reports file in.  Deaths are recorded on the site differently that tests.  Positive tests on the graph are recorded on the date the state receives them but deaths are recorded for whatever the official date of death was.  It is worth noting that you didn't include the number of positive tests graph -- by itself it doesn't tell the whole story, but when combined with positivity we can see that the number of cases AND the positivity rate have both been increasing over the last 10 to 14 days.

Indiana is in a much better place than a lot of states.  Hospital ICU availability and ventilator availability are both good. I think Holcomb has done a decent job handling the crisis.  But this is the type of thing that you have to stay on guard as pockets arise.

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I would argue that the alarm should be in how quickly our health care system reaches capacity.  

I guess I don't get blaming the media when ICU beds are full.

Because the media is just out to create panic.  ICU capacity is flexible.  That was the whole point of the first shutdowns -- give the hospitals time to adjust for what is coming.  If they really wanted to report facts they would tell us, in addition to ICU capacity, things like surge capacity, how many ICU beds are filled with covid vs. other patients, etc.     

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Because the media is just out to create panic.  ICU capacity is flexible.  That was the whole point of the first shutdowns -- give the hospitals time to adjust for what is coming.  If they really wanted to report facts they would tell us, in addition to ICU capacity, things like surge capacity, how many ICU beds are filled with covid vs. other patients, etc.     

It doesn’t matter why the beds are full if you get there and they are out of beds. And beds are flexible to a point. It’s not unlimited. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It doesn’t matter why the beds are full if you get there and they are out of beds. And beds are flexible to a point. It’s not unlimited. 

It does when they try to paint a picture that the ICU is full of Covid patients, which is not true.  

Sweden's economy was the least affected in Europe. Their economy fared better than anyone else's in Europe, their deaths are in line with or similar to many other European countries, and their hospitals/ICUs were never overwhelmed. It's impossible not to see Sweden as a resounding success comparatively. 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sweden-coronavirus-economy-relaxed-lockdown-stronger-rest-of-europe-2020-7-1029415101#

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sweden's economy was the least affected in Europe. Their economy fared better than anyone else's in Europe, their deaths are in line with or similar to many other European countries, and their hospitals/ICUs were never overwhelmed. It's impossible not to see Sweden as a resounding success comparatively. 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sweden-coronavirus-economy-relaxed-lockdown-stronger-rest-of-europe-2020-7-1029415101#

"And while the jury is still out on the effectiveness of the country's public-health approach, there is growing evidence that, economically speaking, the loose rules seem to have worked."

Additionally, that story points out how other the other Nordic countries were able to fair better than the rest of Europe.

Also, should point out that the Nordic countries use the Nordic model. That means that many branches of their economy are controlled by the state, almost everyone is part of a union, and they all are comprehensive welfare states. Not really an apples to apples comparison.