Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

52 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Science isn't a uniform body with black and white, right and wrong, answers on every single issue. Reasonable scientists come to different conclusions on issues all the time. I've noticed that a lot of the people who say "believe science" (not talking about you specifically, just a general comment about things I've noticed) they really mean "believe my science."

That’s fair for the most part.  I have seen people trying to oversell their background in infectious disease when it’s obvious it’s minimal.  I have seen people claim N95 masks are for open wounds when they are not.  Look at the FDA who is in charge of that level of protection in a health care setting and they explicitly say those are for airborne particles.  I knew that just working with Parkview’s Infectious Disease coordinators while working with them every day, getting fitted for the various masks and the various courses we have to take when patient facing on which mask is for which circumstance.  My thing is the opinion based misinformation from lack of knowledge or understanding being placed on here.  A lot of it is really common sense, but social media really has proven to have created a generation of idiots.  This is why it’s important to have a top infectious disease office and the information starts there.  Not Facebook.  It’s turned into Wikipedia for aspiring scientists or people with an agenda on both sides.  If you are a true scientist or someone that legitimately cares with proper information you have the proper channels to provide important data.  Goes back to that Wikipedia saying I had.  There is some factual information in Wikipedia, but there is a reason you can’t cite it and have to go to scholarly data.  I just wish people would use that same simple logic for life altering pandemics too.

31 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

SIAP - Bloomington the most financially vulnerable college town to COVID.

We need to save Btown staples that will be hurt this fall. So many memories eating at the Runcible Spoon, the Irish Lion, Yogi’s, Trojan Horse, Mother Bear’s, etc for me. The shops, the bars, the B&Bs....this town is going to need help. 

Does Yogis sell giftcards?

Read on Johns Hopkins that doctors have seen this cause kidney damage in people that didn't previously have kidney problems.  With kidneys, heart, clotting complications, and some cases of neurological problems this is impacting pretty well every major system in the body.

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Science isn't a uniform body with black and white, right and wrong, answers on every single issue. Reasonable scientists come to different conclusions on issues all the time. I've noticed that a lot of the people who say "believe science" (not talking about you specifically, just a general comment about things I've noticed) they really mean "believe my science."

In the case of vaccines causing autism, it is black and white.  The point is that even when there are no gray areas in things concluded by science, people invent them.  It’s why there has been a resurgence in the flat Earth society,

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

In the case of vaccines causing autism, it is black and white.  The point is that even when there are no gray areas in things concluded by science, people invent them.  It’s why there has been a resurgence in the flat Earth society,

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Exactly. Autism can literally be diagnosed before vaccines are even given.  There’s literally no chance they are connected.  

Does that mean Vaccines are safe no it doesn’t.  But the fact the anti vaxxers are still using the autism lie would seem to indicate they can’t find anything else 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don’t expect facts to get in his way 

So, you acknowledge that scientists get it wrong over and over again, that that's "how science works," but then chastise people for not "believing science." Very little about covid is known right now. It's very reasonable for people to question the science surrounding covid.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So, you acknowledge that scientists get it wrong over and over again, that that's "how science works," but then chastise people for not "believing science." 

Scientists get things wrong they don’t get everything wrong.  And they are still a more reliable source of information than non scientists. 

Somebody with twenty years of experience will never be perfect but they are a much better choice than “random person that agrees with my preconceived notion” that so many people are treating as gospel.  

Europe and Asia listened to scientists and they are getting things under control. So while scientists don’t know everything about this disease they understood it well enough

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Scientists get things wrong they don’t get everything wrong.  And they are still a more reliable source of information than non scientists. 

Somebody with twenty years of experience will never be perfect but they are a much better choice than “random person that agrees with my preconceived notion” that so many people are treating as gospel.  

Europe and Asia listened to scientists and they are getting things under control. So while scientists don’t know everything about this disease they understood it well enough

Our scientists were telling us not to wear masks in March. Dr. Fauci told us there was no need for people to wear masks. Our surgeon general also told us not to wear masks. The mixed messages early on from our public health officials set us back quite a bit.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Our scientists were telling us not to wear masks in March. Dr. Fauci told us there was no need for people to wear masks. The mixed messages early on from our public health officials set us back quite a bit.

Which was because there were no masks for them to wear because of a policy failure. It’s called triage. There weren’t enough masks he was ensuring doctors and nurses would have them. 

And they reversed course as soon as they could and after they learned the disease could be spread by people not showing symptoms. They learned something so they re-evaluated. Something some people are incapable of. 

And for the record as of March 2nd this was the CDCs stance on masks 

The CDC only recommends masks for select groups of people: Those in a region currently experiencing an outbreak, healthcare workers treating coronavirus patients, and anyone who experiences flu-like symptoms.

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Which was because there were no masks for them to wear because of a policy failure. It’s called triage. There weren’t enough masks he was ensuring doctors and nurses would have them. 

And they reversed course as soon as they could and after they learned the disease could be spread by people not showing symptoms. They learned something so they re-evaluated. Something some people are incapable of. 

And for the record as of March 2nd this was the CDCs stance on masks 

The CDC only recommends masks for select groups of people: Those in a region currently experiencing an outbreak, healthcare workers treating coronavirus patients, and anyone who experiences flu-like symptoms.

All you need to make a mask is fabric and a sewing machine. My grandma has made a couple hundred masks since the pandemic started. Heck, you don't even need that. I've seen plenty of people using bandanas. They may have had shortages in stores, but there were other available options for face coverings. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

All you need to make a mask is fabric and a sewing machine. My grandma has made a couple hundred masks since the pandemic started. Heck, you don't even need that. I've seen plenty of people using bandanas. They may have had shortages in stores, but there were other available options for face coverings. 

Did your grandma make those instantly?  No? They took time to make I bet. And doctors can’t use cloth ones.  So even if they had said people should use cloth masks, people still would have hoarded the medical ones keeping them from hospitals. 

Keep moving those goal posts grasping at straws though.  

For the last 3 1/2 months every doctor in the world has been saying to wear a mask but keep saying the anti mask movement is because of what doctors were saying months ago before they understood the virus as well as they do now. 

IMG_1595163148.507050.jpgIMG_1595163156.471664.jpgIMG_1595163164.759958.jpgIMG_1595163170.438032.jpgIMG_1595163175.635138.jpgIMG_1595163180.940131.jpg

I’m not here to argue with anyone, these were taken directly from the coronavirus.in.gov website. Just wanted to point out that things for us Hoosiers seem to be getting better in the state. Indiana has a little over 2600 total deaths in the state and nearly half of them came from nursing homes. Testing has gone up, which means more positive results, but most importantly, daily deaths and hospitalizations continue to decline as well as the amount of those Covid patients actually being in an ICU bed or on a ventilator. I see this as a major positive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This was a interesting read about how other countries are managing schools. Note there is not magic formula but a lot of countries have kids in school and it is interesting to see the steps they have taken.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IMG_1595163148.507050.thumb.jpg.b7e83846191d682254285b7a1c136ebb.jpgIMG_1595163156.471664.thumb.jpg.12de7982b23d889d4fe579cd1d966b57.jpgIMG_1595163164.759958.thumb.jpg.0974743624e5b8c450df24840bea797d.jpgIMG_1595163170.438032.thumb.jpg.98c52264aa5e80770fa0203e69218aac.jpgIMG_1595163175.635138.thumb.jpg.313e5a0dbed307016c09fc7c022e7f9e.jpgIMG_1595163180.940131.thumb.jpg.c3986d6a5edc25ac0c3f52a23035d65a.jpg

I’m not here to argue with anyone, these were taken directly from the coronavirus.in.gov website. Just wanted to point out that things for us Hoosiers seem to be getting better in the state. Indiana has a little over 2600 total deaths in the state and nearly half of them came from nursing homes. Testing has gone up, which means more positive results, but most importantly, daily deaths and hospitalizations continue to decline as well as the amount of those Covid patients actually being in an ICU bed or on a ventilator. I see this as a major positive.

Wonder why we had a spike in non covid ICU rooms?