Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

New Zealand has effectively beat this. I went to their ministry of health page to see if they had a strong mask policy. I actually assumed they did and perhaps someone can find something different to suggest they did but from their ministry of health masks were not required.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-general-public/covid-19-use-face-masks-community

I still wear mine when out at a store but found this surprising. I wonder what they did differently than us?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

New Zealand has effectively beat this. I went to their ministry of health page to see if they had a strong mask policy. I actually assumed they did and perhaps someone can find something different to suggest they did but from their ministry of health masks were not required.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-health-advice-general-public/covid-19-use-face-masks-community

I still wear mine when out at a store but found this surprising. I wonder what they did differently than us?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IIRC they locked down early and pretty strict.  It's also an island with a pretty low population density.

3 hours ago, Chips&Dipo said:

"WE DON'T WANT THE COUNTRY TO SHUTDOWN!"

"Nobody does, but we can reopen if we wear a mask and practice social distancing to slow the spread, protect vulnerable populations, and not overcrowd our hospitals."

"I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT EITHER!"

"If it's my time to die, it's my time to die".

Yet no one volunteers for Russian roulette.

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Interesting take on herd immunity.  No clue who this guy is or if it's accurate/scientific.  

https://off-guardian.org/2020/07/07/second-wave-not-even-close/

Funny how all of a sudden Some people are willing to accept fringe anti vaxxer nut jobs who can’t get a real publication to touch them 

16 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Interesting take on herd immunity.  No clue who this guy is or if it's accurate/scientific.  

https://off-guardian.org/2020/07/07/second-wave-not-even-close/

The author started a nonprofit that advocates the bogus view that certain vaccines cause autism.  Something tells me his grasp of science is questionable.

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Funny how all of a sudden Some people are willing to accept fringe anti vaxxer nut jobs who can’t get a real publication to touch them 

That author talks about Sweden, with a death rate of about 7%.  Their top epidemiologist said their approach caused too many deaths and they should've done more.

"If it's my time to die, it's my time to die".
Yet no one volunteers for Russian roulette.

Me thinks you don’t understand this mindset as you’ve never been placed in a position where you had to adopt it...

Our team was quite busy during our deployment to Afghanistan. We ran on average four missions a day where we were dealing with IEDs. We were good and did everything we could to mitigate the risks but... when it’s your time to go it’s your time to go.

I’ve survived injuries and illnesses that kill thousands if not hundreds of thousands a year. I’ve heard doctors tell me I should have been dead more times than I care to remember. When it’s your time to go it’s your time to go.

The same can be said for driving to the store. You could do everything possible and a freak accident could take you out.. when it’s your time to go it’s your time to go.

Just because it’s something you don’t believe in or you’ve never experienced it doesn’t mean it’s right to knock it. If you’d like to know anymore about that mindset I could provide more details.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The it’s my time yo die philosophy is certainly what it is. But refusal to socially distance and wear a mask would be more akin to “its my time to kill”

Live and let die, or everyone for themselves; either works.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wow.  

Tough realization?  

I think about that woman who died of Covid and her 30 week unborn baby?  Could those two people have been saved if a bunch of people hadn’t valued their freedom to not have cloth on their face over their lives.  

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

That author talks about Sweden, with a death rate of about 7%.  Their top epidemiologist said their approach caused too many deaths and they should've done more.

Sweden's deaths have plummeted. The vast majority of their deaths were in nursing homes. Here is their death curve. They never shutdown and yet are in a much better position than the United States. Shutting down was a massive mistake and we are going to face the consequences of it for a long time. 

image.thumb.png.1caa3c89f79ae1a6d35e2f2fcfc4c755.png 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sweden's deaths have plummeted. The vast majority of their deaths were in nursing homes. Here is their death curve. They never shutdown and yet are in a much better position than the United States. Shutting down was a massive mistake and we are going to face the consequences of it for a long time. 

image.thumb.png.1caa3c89f79ae1a6d35e2f2fcfc4c755.png 

Shutting down was a mistake haha haha 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Tough realization?  

I think about that woman who died of Covid and her 30 week unborn baby?  Could those two people have been saved if a bunch of people hadn’t valued their freedom to not have cloth on their face over their lives.  

How did she catch it?  

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It was, but I know how you feel so I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you about it. Any response to Sweden's death curve collapsing despite never shutting down?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/sweden-coronavirus-cases-deaths-fall-not-mean-lockdown-plan-worked-2020-7%3famp

The fact it ran rampant for a time and is now slowing down doesn’t mean a lockdown wouldn’t have saved lives. 

Plus there was still considerable damage done to their economy.  

And oh yeah their deaths per million people is higher than ours. Our failure wasn’t because of the lockdown. Our failure is the lockdown wasn’t complete and seen thru to the end. Hence why areas are now reimposing new lockdowns.