Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

So for the anti maskers

If you knew there was a 100% chance that wearing a mask would save a life other than your own. Would you do it?  

What if it were 50%? 25%?  What about 1?  What if there was a 1% chance that you are killing somebody by not wearing a mask?  

5 minutes ago, Defenserocks28 said:

Just to confirm,   you would be okay with stores and restaurants turning away people who refuse to wear a mask?

And to be fair,  in highly populated cities,  avoidance can be very difficult.  Sometimes you need everyone on board to stop something from spreading.   

Their business, their rules.  No problem with that.  (But it's kind of hard to eat with a mask on :) )  

As far as everyone on board, I think you're generally seeing the vast majority comply with mask wearing.  The news reports want to gin up controversy so they always get the picture of the one dude without a mask.  Kind of like heading to the trailer park after a storm to show the "damage."  

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Agreed.  Our lack of empathy is alarming.  It’s honestly just sad more than anything.  It really shouldn’t surprise me with people, but it does.  Down here in Florida a person with political interests tried suing over mandatory masks.  That one got thrown out real quick.  Like how f’ed up do we have to be to sue over something like that?  How hard is it to wear a ******* mask?  Even if you don’t agree with it at worst you are out the inconvenience of wearing a mask.  At best you can save someone’s life, potentially someone you love.  Like I don’t get the huge deal.  For years if you travel abroad and you see an Asian person they are wearing a mask.  There is a reason why.  They have things like this quite a bit.  I trust they know more than Facebook.  It’s just ******* sad and pathetic.

We are a nation of toddlers. Now granted my toddler is now asking to wear a mask so I might be giving our population too much credit. 

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Assuming everything you are saying is true. It’s 100% not but how are people supposed to get food avoid people without masks if 90% of people aren’t wearing masks? 

Go hang with the 10% who are wearing them.  Me thinks compliance is much higher than 10% though.  

12 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah its the same in Cape Coral.  Well Walmart not so much, but your Publix, Target, etc. it’s pretty much everyone.  Not meant to be a crack at Walmart just the way it is down here.  Most places refuse service if you don’t wear one. 

You ever see "the people of walmart?"  

Agreed.  Our lack of empathy is alarming.  It’s honestly just sad more than anything.  It really shouldn’t surprise me with people, but it does.  Down here in Florida a person with political interests tried suing over mandatory masks.  That one got thrown out real quick.  Like how f’ed up do we have to be to sue over something like that?  How hard is it to wear a ******* mask?  Even if you don’t agree with it at worst you are out the inconvenience of wearing a mask.  At best you can save someone’s life, potentially someone you love.  Like I don’t get the huge deal.  For years if you travel abroad and you see an Asian person they are wearing a mask.  There is a reason why.  They have things like this quite a bit.  I trust they know more than Facebook.  It’s just ******* sad and pathetic.

Don’t get me wrong. I love this country and am an American to my core. I signed my life over to this country and would do it again if needed. With that, as soon as I finish this program, I’ll be looking for employment back overseas or in an area that respects the collective whole. It’s truly amazing to see and feel the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Nurses etc in hospitals will put on masks too.  There's a reason.

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Don’t get me wrong. I love this country and am an American to my core. I signed my life over to this country and would do it again if needed. With that, as soon as I finish this program, I’ll be looking for employment back overseas or in an area that respects the collective whole. It’s truly amazing to see and feel the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Completely understand.  I am with you.  My biggest disappointment in the current state of America is everything is a political issue.  Something as simple as wearing a mask for the betterment of a whole is the ultimate kick in the nuts for some, or the ultimate weapon for others.  It’s a ******* mask meant to help.  Like I said early on they won’t block all, but with that, social distancing, and good personal hygiene we wouldn’t have ******* threads up wondering if we are even going to have a season.  It’s not a ******* political argument.  It’s a simple ******* humanitarian discussion.

In the military Aloha, I bet that heavy equipment gets pretty uncomfortable in the middle of a desert.  I doubt anyone is arguing with why you need to wear yours, or a firefighter needs to wear their heavy gear in a fire, or a police officer wears their vest.  I just don’t get why it’s so ******* hard.  Hope you get to enjoy abroad.  

21 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Nurses etc in hospitals will put on masks too.  There's a reason.

I’ve always said if you are opposed to masks I sure hope if you are having surgery you ask the surgeons to not bother with them. I mean after all they should be comfortable since the mask doesn’t do anything. 

43 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Completely understand.  I am with you.  My biggest disappointment in the current state of America is everything is a political issue.  Something as simple as wearing a mask for the betterment of a whole is the ultimate kick in the nuts for some, or the ultimate weapon for others.  It’s a ******* mask meant to help.  Like I said early on they won’t block all, but with that, social distancing, and good personal hygiene we wouldn’t have ******* threads up wondering if we are even going to have a season.  It’s not a ******* political argument.  It’s a simple ******* humanitarian discussion.

In the military Aloha, I bet that heavy equipment gets pretty uncomfortable in the middle of a desert.  I doubt anyone is arguing with why you need to wear yours, or a firefighter needs to wear their heavy gear in a fire, or a police officer wears their vest.  I just don’t get why it’s so ******* hard.  Hope you get to enjoy abroad.  

That's what gets to me......people who wants things to return (like sports)  but don't care about case spikes or wearing masks.  The bottom line is that increased case numbers could very well remove some of the things that opened up or what we want to open up.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

That's what gets to me......people who wants things to return (like sports)  but don't care about case spikes or wearing masks.  The bottom line is that increased case numbers could very well remove some of the things that opened up or what we want to open up.

I’d bet money football at least in college is gone.  And I think we lose the non conference slate of basketball. If not the whole season. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’d bet money football at least in college is gone.  And I think we lose the non conference slate of basketball. If not the whole season. 

What is so surreal to me right now is that in Indiana sports teams are practicing.  Big difference is that high schools don't have the $ to test like college and football teams.  I expect there will be a ripple effect and if college football is not a go, high school football will follow.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

What is so surreal to me right now is that in Indiana sports teams are practicing.  Big difference is that high schools don't have the $ to test like college and football teams.  I expect there will be a ripple effect and if college football is not a go, high school football will follow.

Will be interesting how this affects kids like Trayce.  Will he stick around if the season gets cancelled?   Can he improve his draft stock if there’s no season.  What about guys like Garza. If the season is going to get cancelled even if they give him his year back does he really wanna wait two years to go pro?

This has been a complete **** show that frankly my 14 year old niece seems to have a better solution to handling it than our elected and well compensated leaders.  

I think some of you are being feed a spoonful of BS on the mask wearing stats.  Here are the number from a few weeks ago:

Pew:  65% wear it all or most of the time; 15% some of the time.  That's 80%

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/06/23/most-americans-say-they-regularly-wore-a-mask-in-stores-in-the-past-month-fewer-see-others-doing-it/

ABC:  89% wearing masks 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/89-americans-wear-masks-public-coronavirus-pandemic-persists/story?id=71455062

Forbes: 86% wearing masks

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/89-americans-wear-masks-public-coronavirus-pandemic-persists/story?id=71455062

Doesn't sound like America is divided on masks to me.  

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think some of you are being feed a spoonful of BS on the mask wearing stats.  Here are the number from a few weeks ago:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/06/23/most-americans-say-they-regularly-wore-a-mask-in-stores-in-the-past-month-fewer-see-others-doing-it/

That ABC article was a poll of 579 people, so about 515 people said they wear a mask.  Pew was 9,654 responses.

Both of which said it's largely falling along political lines, with Democrats and those leaning Democrat more likely to wear mask.

26 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

That ABC article was a poll of 579 people, so about 515 people said they wear a mask.  Pew was 9,654 responses.

Both of which said it's largely falling along political lines, with Democrats and those leaning Democrat more likely to wear mask.

3 polls showing about 80% is a big number to be skewed.  Gallop shows even Republicans are almost 70% inclined to wear a mask.  There is only division here if they want to gin it up.  

https://news.gallup.com/poll/313463/mask-worry-lack-social-distancing.aspx

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

I'd be interested to see actual tracking data as opposed to a survey as the percentage of people who actually wear a mask into places like stores.  For instance, my 74 father who has a history of pneumonia will look you in the eye and tell you he always wears a mask. Actual observation of him tells a different story.  I doubt that when you go into places where masks are not mandated you are going to see 80+ percent of people wearing masks.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sadly, I would as well.